Smart meter

• 10 January 2020
  • 35 replies

Show first post

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi G4HRL
​​​​​​This has popped up before about earth bonding on gas pipes. I have had numerous visits to replace my gas meter, but on the last visit the engineer attached a large label about the lack of bonding ( it on the water pipes ), but never actually said anything.
​​​​​​​What I can't understand though is that Cadent have been replacing the gas pipes from mains to premises with plastic pipes, so how does the earth bonding work?.
​​​​​​​Just a thought, why not remove the clip yourself and refit it after the meter change
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi @G4RHL
As I said in your previous post, if you are able I would take the lead off myself and refit it later, although you shouldn't have to, but at least you would be sure that the meter was changed
​​​​​​​As regards your statement issue, there is often a delay in receiving statements after meter changes. After mine were fitted I didn't receive a statement for five months
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi G4HRL
I'm sorry to hear of your ongoing issues, I'm struggling to understand how an earth wire can prevent installation, unless the earth lead is sitting directly on top of the connection.
​​​​​​​My gas meter does not have an earth tag, it is in the incoming water pipe fitted eons ago. The installer fitted a label saying no earth tag present
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Gerry Sweeney;49732:
So when are PP rolling out the new Smart Meters?

Hi Gerry,

Welcome to the community.

Got this link by scrolling through through all the smart info.....in the above smart meter menu..think its a good starting point
https://community.purepla.net/threads/8690-A-look-back-at-2019-and-the-world-of-smart-meters

Review all above posts and revert back as lots of members ready to assist...
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
They failed to plan - bound to fail - very slack indeed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Lets continue to deviate - my boiler was losing pressure a couple of weeks ago on a daily basis - so called the service company who swiftly arrived. Re pressurised the tank/system and left. A few days later same same and another engineer arrived and replaced the pressure release valve. So the first visit treated the symptom and the second visit the cause which a member of the family had originally suggested.
I get my old focus regularly serviced and I say again (been a constant problem) keeps revving up for no reason in stationary traffic - gets worse again a few weeks after the service. So I go back and they spray some stuff down the air thingy and lots of sh.. splurges out. They advise that I use the higher octane petrol which has solved the problem as when I switched back to regular octane (not supermarket) petrol the problem returned. Its a funny old life and the objective (which lacks lots of motivation) of a getting another vehicle is now on hold until I can get out to see what piece of plastic and metal meets my unknown criteria - car counselling may be needed and I should need a few sessions.
stephenrand;46036:
Hi Dr Sanjeev

I realise this is a very frustrating situation. But when you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet (though the community is monitored by team members) but to your fellow customers... and they can't really help with this one. I'm sure Pure Planet will share your frustration, but isn't it worth taking this up with Magnum first? They're the ones who have let you down. Hope you can get it sorted quickly

​​​​​​​Stephen

Hey Stephen,
In a previous similar thread, I recommended to the poster that they should contact Magnum Utilities (I even furnished the contact details)......I was then told by someone from the CF that the correct course of action was to contact PP........
​​​​​​​
I still feel that the customer should contact the installer about the issue.....and also complain bitterly to PP about the poor level of communication/service supplied by Magnum Utilities who are after all a "representative" of PP.
I have mentioned before that I don't feel that Magnum Utilities are providing the proper level of service that we (customers) and PP deserve or expect.

Maybe @Marc or @Nataly could consider contacting @Sanjeev....and obviously also Magnum Utilities.....just a thought.
So when are PP rolling out the new Smart Meters?
I doubt that it's 'Magnum won't let him' so much as the fact that he has to be able to ensure that the 'earthing and bonding arrangements you have are up to the required standard' any electrical work is only as safe as the earthing and bonding.

Therefore, if your engineer is going to do anything to the bonding on the gas pipe, there must be 'evidence' that he is trained in how to safely restore your earthing and bonding to that pipe - hence the 'training course.'
​​​​​​​
Of course, you could always do it yourself, but then the risk of electric shock, possible explosion, is on your own head.
Magnum engineers are paid a significant bonus if they complete 4 installations in a day. Needless to say, an engineer will leave it as late as possible before admiting s/he won't be able to get around to all of their planned installations when problems occur. Short-notice cancellations to other customers are then inevitable. For various reasons my initial smart meter installation went badly. Engineers were on site for about 10 hours. I assume other installations had to be cancelled that day. Due to hardware failures, the meters and comms hub had to be replaced. The replacement didn't go smoothly with incorrect remote data being sent to my meter by Magnum. In an effort to get his remaining 2 installs completed, the engineer left me about 3:00pm, leaving me with a system that's not working correctly. That was over 3 weeks ago. Magnum have made no effort to contact me to arrange completion of the install and I have had to chase both Magnum and PP for action. As others have said in this thread, PP are ultimatley responsible for the installations but they're being let down by Magnum.