Question

Smart meter

Have had new smart meter fitted. Not smart as unconnected. Engineer shrugged and said there were problems in the North. Someone would be in touch. Still waiting. Latest readings estimated.
What should I do, don’t know who to contact?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

I think you need to contact PP directly via Wattbot.

if you go to the app and click on the
☰ menu at the top, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 

Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

You can then type in your message (and any photos), then send it 

please note it’s not a live-chat and it’ll be 2 or 3 working days before they’re able to reply.

I the mean time, you can still submit readings yourself, you have to 'wake up' the meter to read the readings. 

https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/how-to-read-your-smart-meter-10332

Have had new smart meter fitted. Not smart as unconnected. Engineer shrugged and said there were problems in the North. Someone would be in touch. Still waiting. Latest readings estimated.

If Magnum are anything like the guys who fitted my meter, I doubt the issues ever get reported back to Pure Planet, it took 8 months for my supplier to sort mine not working out, and the engineer said it would be ‘2 days’ - they had to send another engineer out to fix it.

Hi @Jaa 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:

There are some connectivity problems in the north. It doesn’t mean none of the smart meters work there, but it’s being reported by all energy suppliers that the smart network doesn’t seem as reliable.

I’m not sure if your connection’s up and running, and also whether you were referring to the smart meter itself, or the In-Home Display unit? If it’s the latter, this guide might also help.

Mine still “not commissioned” since being installed 29 March!!!! They don’t seem to care. Customer service non existent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Mine still “not commissioned” since being installed 29 March!!!! They don’t seem to care. Customer service non existent.

Hi

Have you done ad the above link shows?:

"

"head to your Pure Planet app or web account and go to ‘get help and support’ > ‘ask a question’, and type the words 'IHD problem'. WattBot will take a bit more info from you and then pass this on to our Member Services team to investigate.

They’ll contact you by email to let you know what they’ve done to get your IHD back working as it should."

Yes done it three times. Not surprising it doesn’t work either!!!  
complete shambles!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , any chance this issue could be passed on to the relevant people?

Do they actually have any RELEVANT people?????

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Do they actually have any RELEVANT people?????

Errr...  yes.....only trying to help here! 

Hi @Eithnes 

Welcome to the community and thanks for getting stuck in!

I’ve flagged this with our Smart meters team. Alas this is one which needs to be investigated by the  Data and Communications Company (aka the ‘DCC’). 

The DCC is an Ofgem-appointed body which manages the ‘smart’ network which ultimately connects all the smart meters. Our team have requested that the DCC reboot the comms hub which sits atop the elec smart meter, and manages the local connection between meter and IHD.

Unfortunately we’re reliant on the DCC for this, and also on their availability in terms of how long it takes. Can be a few weeks, sometimes.

A few weeks?????? It was fitted on 29 March!!!! Good job you’ve got someone else to blame!!! All I want is it removed. Too much to ask?????

Still waiting fir this Smart Meter to be removed!!!! Your customer service is absolutely rubbish!

Still waiting fir this Smart Meter to be removed!!!! 

Not likely to happen I’m afraid, once you ‘go Smart’ you can’t ‘downgrade’:

A ‘Smart Meter’ unless totally faulty will still work as a ‘dumb meter’ from which you can take the readings and enter them yourself - assuming of course that the engineer left an instruction book, or showed you how to do it.

‘Dumb Meters’ have no possibility of becoming ‘Smart’.

The Government want a ‘Smart Network’ whether the infrastructure works as soon as it’s installed, or not, is immaterial (part of why they are installing in places they know may have issues.) Eventually almost all meters will be ‘Smart’ and most/all of the country will have a working ‘Smart Network’ in which the claimed benefits for our energy generation will become a reality (or not).

About all you can do is ‘chase Pure Planet’ who will in turn ‘Chase the DCC,’ who may, if you are lucky get your meter working properly.

The government, who ultimately were responsible for pushing this idea, don’t really care, they aren’t the ones getting complaints from customers who’ve been let down.

Hey @Eithnes 

@Gwyndy’s advice here is spot on - once installed, your smart meters wouldn’t be removed. 

Unfortunately, as outlined above, this work is entirely controlled by the DCC, as they manage the ‘smart’ network in the UK. 

As suggested by @Gwyndy, if you get in touch with our team they can try to chase this further on your behalf. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m not sure if this is off topic

Rule 1. Don’t shoot the messenger

Rule 2. Don’t shoot the person who shoots at  the messenger as their apoplexy will only increase if you miss (and you are likely to miss).  Just explain that they should lower their weapon.