Solved

Smart Meter

• 17 November 2020
  • 9 replies

How can I book to get a smart meter fitted into my property? My bills are very high also, I would like someone to speak to.

icon

Best answer by woz 17 November 2020, 21:10

hi @Kirstysarah 

this is a lot clearer now,  you shouldn’t be entering readings from the in home display, you should get some readings from the actual meter. I assumed you meant your payment was £100 not what you’d been charged for (sorry I misunderstood).

That said your readings are probably near enough to assume that the charges aren’t too far out.

Your thinking on the storage heaters is incorrect (sorry to be blunt), Once switched off they will give out the heat stored from the one last time they were connected, and then remain cold after that if switched off. If they remain off they won’t consume energy, they are very power hungry (see below) and probably responsible for a lot of your consumption. Also although good for background they aren’t great for putting heat where you want it when you want it. A local convector heater with thermostat which you can switch on and off would be better, and although overall you wont be as warm you can use the heat more locally. That will save you lots compared to the storage heaters.

I hate to say this but with night storage heaters on a timer and economy 7, PP probably wasn’t the best choice for you financially, a tariff with a cheaper night rate may have been better. I’m speaking from first hand experience as my neighbour has storage heaters, but I am also generalising as it depends on lots of factors. (what they are set to, how many, size of property etc)

I don’t know the details of your original quote (how many kWh you were quoted for but your payments seem low for your circumstances. Can you say how you decided (or it was decided) on what your annual consumption was when you switched and have you any older bills covering a whole year you can use to see if the figure is reasonable?

If you’re paying £56 a month in winter that puts your annual at around £560. I would need to know your geographic area to work out the exact kWh (I have the tariff figure and it varies according to area), but taking a mid price I calculated it at around 3200kWk a year on the July 2020 tariff

A small to medium single storage heater running for one night can easily consume 15kW -20kW, (they come in lots of sizes so I’m guessing) so at the lowest figure each heater could be responsible for say 450kW a month times the number of heaters. That’s the maths.

Post back?

View original

9 replies

Hi @Kirstysarah 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community.

Normally Pure Planet will notify you via a ‘moon’ in your app, when logged in to the website, that Smart Meters are available in your area, or in some instances Magnum Utilities, Pure Planet’s Smart Meter installers will contact you directly.

Please see my answer from 2 days ago for more information.

Pure Planet has no call centres, so if you want to ‘speak’ to someone you need to use the in-app, or in-account if using the website, facility WattBot.

Regarding ‘My bills are very high’ - You don’t actually receive a ‘bill,’ you do however receive monthly statements, therefore please help by defining what you mean by ‘My bills are very high’?:

Is the ‘actual usage’ on your statement very high?

Is your ‘estimated usage’ on your statement very high?

Are your direct debits payments very high?

‘Very high’ compared to what?
Is this a recent thing? is it an ongoing thing? 
How long have you been a customer of Pure Planet?

The fact that Pure Planet splits your annual usage estimate 60/40 (60% of which is taken October to March) may have something to do with it.
My apologies there are more questions than answers, but without more information it’s hard to offer anything resembling accurate advice.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy

Thankyou for coming back to me, but I have had no response from the WattBott and I'm really not happy with the price my bill is, I'm actually scared to use any electric my current smart meter (from a previous supplier) isn't even any good as it doesn't work properly. I don't know where my energy is being used but I'm been charged just under £100 a month and I don't think this is right 

Thankyou for coming back to me, but I have had no response from the WattBott and I'm really not happy with the price my bill is, I'm actually scared to use any electric my current smart meter (from a previous supplier) isn't even any good as it doesn't work properly. I don't know where my energy is being used but I'm been charged just under £100 a month and I don't think this is right 

Hi @Kirstysarah 
“I have had no response from the WattBott “
No response from WattBot at all, or no response that made sense?

​​​​​ “I'm actually scared to use any electric my current smart meter (from a previous supplier) isn't even any good as it doesn't work properly.”

If your Smart Meter is SMETS1, it becomes ‘dumb’ when you change supplier, and not work with Pure Planet (or for that matter any other supplier) until the ‘over the air updates,’ which were planned for this year, but have been delayed finally happen.

If your Smart Meter is SMETS2, it will be transferred by the Data Communications Company to Pure Planet, but this may take some time.

What do you mean by ‘doesn’t work properly’?
Are you able to see values on the meter when you press the buttons?
Is the In-Home Display not working?
Something else?

I don't know where my energy is being used but I'm been charged just under £100 a month and I don't think this is right 
Just under £100 as a monthly ‘Winter Payment’ works out at £1000 per year (£600 winter, £400 summer) - is that approximately what your usage estimate was when you joined?

Your monthly Summer/Winter payment split is detailed in your account under ‘Balance and Payments,’ mine for example says:

APRIL - SEPTEMBER

£62.12

OCTOBER - MARCH

£93.18

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Kirstysarah 

As a starter are you able to have a look at your latest statement and see if the readings are all estimated or whether they have been taken from the smart meter. Also if you don’t mind me asking what is the current statement balance?

What tariff are you on? fixed or variable?

Are you dual fuel or electricity only?

What consumption was your original quote based on, can you find the quote and have a look?

Have you replaced your incandescent light bulbs with LED bulbs?

Depending on your reply my next question is likely to be are you able to read your smart meter (NOT THE IN HOME DISPLAY, IGNORE THAT, BUT THE METER THAT’S ON THE WALL)

I’m asking so that you can check if your actual consumption  matches your DD.

You seem to have ignored the response above, in April your payment will drop to below £67.

What are you basing your statement on that you’re paying too much?

(I don’t work for PP)

Hello,

My readings are both, as I enter the reading from my smart meter as that is the only data that works on the smart meter nothing else works on this. I enter my reading when I'm emailed from pure planet to do so, they then also estimate which is only a couple of kwh above my actual meter reading. 

My last statement from the 13th October until 14th November was £93.80. I'm on a fixed 12m Green tariff until July next year. My home is all electric as well. 

My original quote said I'd be paying £33 something pence during summer months and £55 something pence during the winter months. But I do have storage heaters in my home, I am getting to the stage now where I M scared to turn them off as if I turn them off by the wall I will loose all the charge and heat stored in them. 

I havent really done anything with my light bulbs most times I dont even have them on really as im not here all day and the evening I just use my TV light mainly. 

I think im paying to much when my mum runs a 2 bed house on less than 80 a month, so I'm thinking somethings not right  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Kirstysarah 

Is the £93.80 on your statement the amount you paid via direct debit or is it the balance of your account

It is the total of how much electricity i have used for the month 13th October to 14th November. My direct debit during the winter months is £55 something pence and in the summer months £33 something pence 

Hi @Kirstysarah 

Well, to me, it sounds like your storage heaters are causing you to use much more energy than you were quoted for.

Having said that, £33 summer, £55 winter sounds very low to me - I'm in a two bedroom bungalow with oil-fired central heating and spend more.

You'd really need some advice from someone with storage heaters, my albeit brief experience with storage heaters indicated they are very sensitive to having the proper input/output timings set.

Have you any previous bills to compare last year's usage to this year's?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Kirstysarah 

this is a lot clearer now,  you shouldn’t be entering readings from the in home display, you should get some readings from the actual meter. I assumed you meant your payment was £100 not what you’d been charged for (sorry I misunderstood).

That said your readings are probably near enough to assume that the charges aren’t too far out.

Your thinking on the storage heaters is incorrect (sorry to be blunt), Once switched off they will give out the heat stored from the one last time they were connected, and then remain cold after that if switched off. If they remain off they won’t consume energy, they are very power hungry (see below) and probably responsible for a lot of your consumption. Also although good for background they aren’t great for putting heat where you want it when you want it. A local convector heater with thermostat which you can switch on and off would be better, and although overall you wont be as warm you can use the heat more locally. That will save you lots compared to the storage heaters.

I hate to say this but with night storage heaters on a timer and economy 7, PP probably wasn’t the best choice for you financially, a tariff with a cheaper night rate may have been better. I’m speaking from first hand experience as my neighbour has storage heaters, but I am also generalising as it depends on lots of factors. (what they are set to, how many, size of property etc)

I don’t know the details of your original quote (how many kWh you were quoted for but your payments seem low for your circumstances. Can you say how you decided (or it was decided) on what your annual consumption was when you switched and have you any older bills covering a whole year you can use to see if the figure is reasonable?

If you’re paying £56 a month in winter that puts your annual at around £560. I would need to know your geographic area to work out the exact kWh (I have the tariff figure and it varies according to area), but taking a mid price I calculated it at around 3200kWk a year on the July 2020 tariff

A small to medium single storage heater running for one night can easily consume 15kW -20kW, (they come in lots of sizes so I’m guessing) so at the lowest figure each heater could be responsible for say 450kW a month times the number of heaters. That’s the maths.

Post back?