Second generation (SMETS2) smart meters eligibility

• Community Manager
  • 7593 replies
Thanks to all Pure Planet Members who’ve offered to be part of our 2nd generation smart meters pilot.

The pilot of the new meters (also called ‘SMETS2) has been running since February 2019 and with your help we’ve learned a lot about the installation process.

If you’ve registered your interest in SMETS2 and haven’t heard back yet, we realise this isn’t great - we’ve been busy in the background and haven’t ignored you!

When we're ready to install SMETS2 meters in your area, you'll see a new 'Smart eligibility' moon appear in your app or web account. This will open a new form with a few simple questions.

Just so you know, before we carry out a SMETS2 installation, we carry out a few checks. If your answer to these checks is ‘yes’ then we won’t install a new meter. The checks include:

- If you’ve already got a SMETS2 installed by your old supplier, we won’t install a new one but we’ll be in touch when we’re ready to make it smart again. More info here.

- If you’ve already got a 1st generation smart meter (aka SMETS1) which is due to be upgraded to the SMETS2 network later this year and into 2020. More info here.

- If your home doesn’t have a good connection to the smart network. There is a national database of every single property in the UK available to all energy suppliers, and based on a postcode search we can see whether communication is likely if a smart meter is installed.
​Where this database suggest that your home will not connect to the smart network, what we’ll do is put you on a waiting list and try again in three to six months.

Sorry that we haven’t been in touch with Members to explain this.

We expect the national communication network - which all smart meters will connect to - to improve greatly.

As the communication network improves, Pure Planet will be in touch via our installation provider Magnum Utilities to ask further eligibility questions and book your smart install.

Keep checking here in the community for the latest on our smart meter rollout.

54 replies

Badge +2
Hello @Marc,

I have a SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100 SM which will hopefully get upgraded in due course via a software update. How will I be notified of this? Assuming it is successful how will PP know, and what will be needed to enable PP to be able to take remote readings?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Lenny
​I can't answer the first part as I don't know the timescales for smets1 upgrades.
My understanding is that once updated it will then be able to communicate with the local network (either via Arquiva or O2 depending on area) which will then talk to the DCC.
The installer will notify PP of the successful install with the required meter credentials.
PP will then be able to get the data from the DCC, in the same way they do for Smets2 meters, you don't need to do anything (in theory)
Lenny;32584:
Hello @Marc,

I have a SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100 SM which will hopefully get upgraded in due course via a software update. How will I be notified of this? Assuming it is successful how will PP know, and what will be needed to enable PP to be able to take remote readings?

Thanks!
Lenny;32584:
Hello @Marc,

Thanks!

Hey @Lenny
We'll be posting more info about this soon, but a few bits for now:
We're reliant on the Data Communications Company (I'm sure you know all about the DCC, but for others' benefit they're the body appointed by the Government to run the Smart network, including making SMETS1 meters connect to SMETS2 network - link to DCC here) on timings.
They may push the dates back - they've already done this a few times.
The DCC may also decide to go with a specific location first, and with a certain number of suppliers first, to test.
Once we get the nod from the DCC that specifc SMETS1 models in X location supplied by us are ready to become smart again, we'll then want to do our own testing. At that point we'll be asking for Members to help us!
Hope that helps?
@Marc What is the situation for those of us where we have an old BG smart electricity meter but a dumb gas meter because the BG installer could not get a signal to a smart gas meter? Will we have a dumb gas meter for all eternity or could the new SMETS2 meters work where the old ones didn’t?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi SMM
the new smets2 meters work on a different frequency, so it's possible they could be OK at your location, BUT it's entirely down to the installer who will check before they install. It may be possible for you get PP to put in a query through Magnum (the installers) to ask if your location is feasible or perhaps you can query Magnum directly. My advice is to initially send a query through help, ask wattbot, type message the team, as it's location specific.
SMM;33378:
@Marc What is the situation for those of us where we have an old BG smart electricity meter but a dumb gas meter because the BG installer could not get a signal to a smart gas meter? Will we have a dumb gas meter for all eternity or could the new SMETS2 meters work where the old ones didn’t?
SMM;33378:

Hi @SMM
I think the reply from @woz about Magnum Utlities carrying out a pre-install check is right.
No need to message our team on this occasion though. You can register your interest in a SMETS2 using this web form here.
🆙
Hi
Was quite pleased to be offered a second generation smart meter a couple of days ago until I started to register an interest in getting one!!!!
Still can’t have one because I have the feed in tariff !
I obviously misunderstood that the second generation meter would overcome those issues.
So do I now have to wait for The Third Generation Meter???
Regards Terry
Terry10;33567:
Hi
Was quite pleased to be offered a second generation smart meter a couple of days ago until I started to register an interest in getting one!!!!
Still can’t have one because I have the feed in tariff !
I obviously misunderstood that the second generation meter would overcome those issues.
So do I now have to wait for The Third Generation Meter???
Regards Terry

Hi @Terry10
That would be....... SMETS3 ?
Check out this thread which has a question about feed-in tariffs and Smart. The last question in the thread, asked by @AlanT
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Sorry didn't know about that web form!
Marc;33481:
Hi @SMM
I think the reply from @woz about Magnum Utlities carrying out a pre-install check is right.
No need to message our team on this occasion though. You can register your interest in a SMETS2 using this web form here.
🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Marc;33481:
Hi @SMM
🆙

Hi @Marc,
I've just had a look at the web form you mentioned. I think if needs to be altered to also point out that you can't get a smart meter if you have E7 or storage heaters, as there have been a few posts about that lately
Duppy;33607:
Hi @Marc,
I've just had a look at the web form you mentioned. I think if needs to be altered to also point out that you can't get a smart meter if you have E7 or storage heaters, as there have been a few posts about that lately

Hey @Duppy
Thanks for that.
It's not that straightforward. Some E7 set-ups are fine with smart. Ones without a 5th port (storage heaters, under floor heating) should be fine. Once you complete the web form you get an email which explains the checks that have to be carried out 🆙
Hey. I've been with PP now for some time and still I.await or get my Smart meter.

I dont want to leave but I really want a supplier tha can give me the SMART function as an option. I know PP can do it just disappointed I haven't been offered - especially after 3 referrals!!
Are smart meters installed for free or is there a one off fee? If so, how much?

- - - Updated - - -

SMART METER COST - Are smart meters installed for free or is there a one off fee ? If sso, how much?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi cheese
​No fee, register interest here https://purepla.net/smart-meters
Dmacfife;34772:
Hey. I've been with PP now for some time and still I.await or get my Smart meter.

I dont want to leave but I really want a supplier tha can give me the SMART function as an option. I know PP can do it just disappointed I haven't been offered - especially after 3 referrals!!

Hi Dmacfife,

Check out Woz's reply to chunky cheese below and follow the link......
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Depends what flavour of E7 you have, The 4 wire meter can be fitted to standard E7 where it's merely 2 rate, but if you need the E7 to switch heaters etc. you need a 5 wire meter where the 5th terminal energises the off peak when it's off peak time, but not otherwise.
FAQ to come...

Duppy;33607:
Hi @Marc, I've just had a look at the web form you mentioned. I think if needs to be altered to also point out that you can't get a smart meter if you have E7 or storage heaters, as there have been a few posts about that lately
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi dmacfife
See link <-- . PP are working through the list, it doesn't depend on referrals
Dmacfife;34772:

Hi
I have just joined PP. I had a smets2 smart meter installed by my old supplier EDF late last year. I would like this to work with PP. When/who do I contact to arrange this?

​Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
cheshbon;37264:
Hi
I have just joined PP. I had a smets2 smart meter installed by my old supplier EDF late last year. I would like this to work with PP. When/who do I contact to arrange this?

​Thanks

Hi there

As this is your first post, welcome to the Pure Planet community! When you post here you are not talking directly to Pure Planet but to your fellow customers. But they are usually a helpful bunch!!

You have posted your question in a thread that includes this link:
https://community.purepla.net/content/272-have-smets2-smart-meter-pure-planet#ckb_start

You could alert the Pure Planet team to your smart meter by opening the app, go to the three little bars top right hand corner, select Help, choose Wattbot, put 'message the team' in the question box and then explain the situation.

Hope that helps
Stephen
Thanks, I have already done that and had no reply for a few days. Just wanted to see if anyone else in the community has had luck getting their smart meter smets2 taken over by PP
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi cheshbon
as far as I know updating previous smets2 installations hasn’t happened yet. I don’t think it’s going to happen for a while yet, but I don’t have direct knowledge,I just remember reading that it was on the cards.
Hi. I've currently got SMETS1 meters which, I guess, will be upgraded in due course. Do I just sit back and wait for something to happen or do I need to do anything to get into the upgrade programme? Also, I don't have an in-house reader gizmo (it's a long story). Would the upgrade process also deal with giving me the necessary gizmo? Cheers.
Hey @JohnDK
Welcome to the Community!

You may want to check out our post about the adoption of SMETS1 meters 🆙

Don't worry - you don't need to do anything for now!

At the moment, we don't have IHDs compatible with SMETS1, so we wouldn't be able to provide one of these.
We have a guide for reading your SMETS1 meter which may help:)
Thanks Nataly. I have read the articles on smart meters but just wanted to double check that I'd interpreted things right.

Not having an IHD isn't a major problem - I've been reading the meters manually since the day they were installed and your app is a doddle to use to send readings. I suppose my only worry is that the battery powering the gas meter display will run out sometime as I'm powering up the display several times a day to check how various settings on a new boiler and a house-load of thermostats impact on usage.

On a side note (different topic, sorry) I notice the android app has updated this morning and the bubble for blog has gone from the start page. Just mentioning in case that wasn't intentional.

Cheers
I registered for a smets2 in July but have heard nothing since.