Solved

Scotland and smart meters

Hi all,
I live in Scotland and have found no information about the smart meter installation in Scotland.
If anybody has any information about what's happening 'north of the border' here is a place to tell it all!
Thanks if you post here about the installation, conversion to type2 and the progress of the smart meter deployment in Scotland.⭕up:
icon

Best answer by Nataly 2 July 2019, 17:18

Hey @Vanitarium

Just FYI I've moved this post to our Smart Meters section🆙

You're defo not the only PP member in Scotland 😉 and we are doing meter installations there!

It partly depends on whether there's good connectivity in your area, which may also be why you haven't heard yet.
@Marc's just posted more info about this here which may help!
View original

21 replies

Maybe I am the only purepla.net member in Scotland?🙃🙂😉
Hey @Vanitarium

Just FYI I've moved this post to our Smart Meters section🆙

You're defo not the only PP member in Scotland 😉 and we are doing meter installations there!

It partly depends on whether there's good connectivity in your area, which may also be why you haven't heard yet.
@Marc's just posted more info about this here which may help!
No your not mate lol! I posted similar question.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
ahhh, but did your post have a Scottish accent?;)
Joinergaz;32582:
No your not mate lol! I posted similar question.
Woz,

I hope you weren't being a "wee" bit racist "the noo"
I'm allowed to say that 'cos I speak Jockanese.......
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
ahhh but do you deep fry mars bars, that's the real test.
Gray4276;32632:
Woz,

I hope you weren't being a "wee" bit racist "the noo"
I'm allowed to say that 'cos I speak Jockanese.......
woz;32642:
ahhh but do you deep fry mars bars, that's the real test.

Woz...... I definitely don't
But my niece (English) was in Gainsborough at the weekend, and posted a pic on FB of a chippy with a sign etched into the glass that showed that they sold DFMB"s and also Deep Fried Chocolate Orange....... feeling sick now 🤕 😷 😫
Gray4276;32646:
Woz...... I definitely don't
But my niece (English) was in Gainsborough at the weekend, and posted a pic on FB of a chippy with a sign etched into the glass that showed that they sold DFMB"s and also Deep Fried Chocolate Orange....... feeling sick now 🤕 😷 😫

If you're Scot,be more serious. This is about energy,not trumpian racism!🆒😂:rolleyes:
Hey Vanitarium,

So sorry if I've crossed an imaginary line.......didn't see it tbh.......ooops, that could be mistaken for sarcastic humour. Gotta get a grip on myself, I'm letting myself down !! 😎😂😉

Vanitarium;33350:
If you're Scot,be more serious. This is about energy,not trumpian racism!🆒😂:rolleyes:
I still haven't received any emails relating to smart meters.... Must be Brexit or Boris or Both (3Bs)🤔
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Vanitarium;36005:
I still haven't received any emails relating to smart meters.... Must be Brexit or Boris or Both (3Bs)🤔

Hi there

What emails are you expecting? Judging by Marc's last update

https://community.purepla.net/threads/6083-Second-generation-(SMETS2)-smart-meters-eligibility

and the subsequent feedback from those who have had their meters installed, I'm guessing progress is slow...

Stephen
stephenrand;36009:
Hi there

What emails are you expecting? Judging by Marc's last update

https://community.purepla.net/threads/6083-Second-generation-(SMETS2)-smart-meters-eligibility

and the subsequent feedback from those who have had their meters installed, I'm guessing progress is slow...

Stephen

??? 😕😕
Emails about installation of SM2:mad::p
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Vanitarium;36014:
??? 😕😕
Emails about installation of SM2:mad::p

I think contact about installations comes via text:

"As we start to install the SMETS2 meters in new locations we're going to be sending a SMS text message to you.

The text will read:

Great news! We're in your area installing Smart meters. To get yours booked in, please call Magnum Utilities (Our Smart installation provider) on .

They'll do some quick checks to ensure your property is suitable. All our Smart installations are free of charge."
No sign of smart meters in Scotland. I have SM by SSE THEY DON'T WORK since joining pure planet. What's happening??
Hello @Vanitarium, have a look at https://community.purepla.net/content/179-Will-pure-planet-support-smets1-smart-meter#ckb_start as it explains why original smart meters turn dumb after a switch of supplier...

There’s a chance they might smarten up again in the future. All in that FAQ.
Hiya, this is a negative update: I have had no text messages, no phone calls, nothing. Connectivity in Fife is excellent, so that is no excuse. I also have read all the updates posts and still feel very much let down by Pure Planet and whoever is doing the installations/upgrades!
No need to reply with standard read this post.... or it will happen when .... That is just excuses not information!
​​​​​​​Thanks for making our planet safer, although very slowly!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi vanitarium
not that it's any consolation, but you do know that ALL SM installs are on hold at the moment...
but when they start again just keep on sending requests in wattbot, if you annoy them enough they might do something...
(disclamer I don't have a SM and I don't want one)
Vanitarium;52496:
Hiya, this is a negative update: I have had no text messages, no phone calls, nothing. Connectivity in Fife is excellent, so that is no excuse. I also have read all the updates posts and still feel very much let down by Pure Planet and whoever is doing the installations/upgrades!
No need to reply with standard read this post.... or it will happen when .... That is just excuses not information!
Why will 'they' react to a trolling on the wattbot? I don't think anybody reds the wattbot questions. It is just a robotic placebo to keep customers quiet!
Vanitarium;52496:

Hey @Vanitarium
Alas as @woz has already said, due to Covid-19 the smart meters rollout is on hold.
Yep, it's frustrating but not much we can do, because obviously we need to play our part in preventing the spread of the virus.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Vanitarium
​​​​​​​er...actually it isn't..well it is and it isn't yeah but no but...
You will get a human being reading your question by tryping message the team followed by your question, (replies not instant)
Wattbot is programmed to respond to the most common questions (like changing direct debit, or does my bum look big in this... etc.) but it's also a portal to the PP team
Vanitarium;52502:
Why will 'they' react to a trolling on the wattbot? I don't think anybody reds the wattbot questions. It is just a robotic placebo to keep customers quiet!
Vanitarium;52489:
No sign of smart meters in Scotland. I have SM by SSE THEY DON'T WORK since joining pure planet. What's happening??

Vanitarium.

Apologies if someone has already pointed this out to you - if you have an existing Smart Meter setup, Pure Planet were not intending (unless things have changed) to replace your Smart Meters - DCC's guidance is not to replace, they are (or at least were, I suspect Covid-19 will delay it) due to be made functional from August 2020.

If you have SMETS 2 meters, then they should, but are not guaranteed, to work for Pure Planet.

If you have SMETS 1 meters, then they definitely will not work for Pure Planet, this situation will not change until the DCC finds a solution to the failure of SMETS 1 data transfer.

Please see the following relevant parts of a post from Marc:

​​​​​​​
Marc;37844:
Hi everyone
We’ve been told by the Data and Communications Company (an Ofgem-regulated body appointed to run the country’s network of smart meters) that 1st generation models, known as SMETS1, will not be upgraded until summer 2020.

1st generation smart meters - known as SMETS1 - have historically only worked with the supplier which installs them.

Marc;37844:

But now the DCC has told all energy suppliers that there will be a delay, with most SMETS1 meters not starting to be upgraded until August 2020.

Here are the latest estimates from the DCC:

• Models: Itron and Aclara - due to start in late July 2019. So far just over 100 have been adopted and the DCC has said this will be slowed down and monitored.
  • Models: Secure and Elster - due to start in September 2019, delayed until June 2020.
  • Models: L&G and EDMI - due to start in December 2019, delayed until August 2020.

Marc;37844:

Right now anyone with SMETS1 is excluded from our SMETS2 installs, as we’d expected them to start becoming smart again by now. Ripping SMETS1 meters off walls does have implications around costs and waste, too.

And we’d also like to be seeing fewer connectivity issues in our SMETS2 pilot before installing more. You may have also heard in the news recently that the whole smart programme has a new deadline - 2024 - for all homes to have SMETS2 meters offered to them.

Now, I can understand you're frustrated, I have had a SMETS1 meter from my previous supplier for 2 years, a year of which (on 26th April) it will have spent being 'dumb' for Pure Planet, the year prior to that it was 'dumb' for Solarplicity, but them's the breaks - and every time that I want to read it, I have to kick my wife out of bed, and move the bed - so yeah, I could be spitting nails as well, but I don't, and I don't because I know there's nothing anyone here can do about it - I can't even go back to Solarplicity to see if it will work for them, as they went bust (probably due to all the complaints to OFGEM about non-working 'Smart Meters.')

Kindest Regards
​​​​​​​Gwyndy