Solved

preparing to leave Pure Planet issues with smart meter

Ok I've been with Pure Planet since January. I was contacted not long after starting with them to have smart meters installed. The meters were installed early February however the engineer could not establish any form of communication with the hub yet he signed the job off as complete and said any issues I'd have to take up with Pure Planet.

On contacting Pure Planet I was told I was in a Noise 7 Site here in the North and communication could not be established and that Pure Planet were looking at ways of communicating with the hub but this would not be done for many months. It's now July and the meter still doesn't work. I can leave Pure Planet in November however with a non functioning smart meter will this impair the switch to a new energy provider? I don't want a switch to fail leaving me stuck with Pure Planet because the meter can't send readings to a new provider.

icon

Best answer by Duppy 15 July 2021, 08:24

@Stewart unique

Having a dumb smart meter, should not affect your ability to switch as long as you can provide manual readings, but whether the supplier would take on a known faulty meter is another thing.

If you find a supplier you would like to switch to, I think your best bet would be to contact them and explain the situation and ask if a switch would be possible.

Different suppliers have different rules and priorities they may even agree to swap the meter for one of their own, but you will only find out by asking the new supplier, but as PP's reply says this issue is affecting all suppliers. 

There was a trial about installing smart meters in the north, 

But we never received any feed back on whether it was successful, I guess not

View original

25 replies

Our Smart Team have checked and you're located in an area they've

deemed a "noise 7 site". It's an issue that affects certain areas in the North. There's interference

between the communication hub and the electricity meter, which causes the hub to lose connection

indefinitely.

The core issue is with the communication hub itself, we're currently testing a new variant of the hub but

this won't be available for a few months.

I appreciate this is frustrating but we're working towards a resolution. This is an issue that's affecting all

suppliers.

Also, a Google search of a noise 7 site brings no results so I'm unable to verify the information that was presented to me

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Stewart unique

Having a dumb smart meter, should not affect your ability to switch as long as you can provide manual readings, but whether the supplier would take on a known faulty meter is another thing.

If you find a supplier you would like to switch to, I think your best bet would be to contact them and explain the situation and ask if a switch would be possible.

Different suppliers have different rules and priorities they may even agree to swap the meter for one of their own, but you will only find out by asking the new supplier, but as PP's reply says this issue is affecting all suppliers. 

There was a trial about installing smart meters in the north, 

But we never received any feed back on whether it was successful, I guess not

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Stewart unique

If you are able to read the meter (which you should be able to? can you confirm?) you will be able to switch without issue but do take photos of the readings to protect yourself and my advice is to use your account to send readings to PP a week or so before then couple of days before your switch-in date to the new provider.

I think the new provider would take you on irrespective of whether you could get readings, but I’d want to nail the readings first as you don’t want to be involved in any dispute later on.

(and we are all unique)

Er, am I missing something, but won’t all suppliers have the same issue (due to the oddities of the location)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Er, am I missing something, but won’t all suppliers have the same issue (due to the oddities of the location)?

Not at all, in the last line of the reply @Stewart unique  received, presumably from Wattbot and posted,  is that this issue is affecting all suppliers

Not at all, in the last line of the reply @Stewart unique  received, presumably from Wattbot and posted,  is that this issue is affecting all suppliers

Er, er, that’s my point @Duppy. @Stewart unique might jump out of the frying pan into the fire... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@25 quid @Duppy 

I think his primary worry is that the issue with the meter will screw up his switch, with a secondary worry that because PP installed they would need to fix and he might be stuck with the noise situation. As said the issue applies whoever the supplier and therefore whoever the supplier becomes they will be obliged to try to sort it when a solution becomes available.

or that’s how I read it

@Stewart unique I hope you return to enlighten us, so we can help you further...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Stewart unique I hope you return to enlighten us, so we can help you further...

we are all unique, anyone can reply...

We are all unique, but some are more unique… 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Bring on the clones...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Bring on the clones...

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We are all unique, but some are more unique… 😉 

You are certainly unique 😂 😂 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

We are all unique

Hi all, finally got logged in after many, many failed error messages unable to log me in.
Anyway, yes i will definitely take pictures of my meter readings at the point that i find a new provider to sign up with. I can provide manual meter readings as that is what i currently have to do with PP.

The condundrum i anticipate happening is that if i switch when the meter is still Not Commissioned the new provider will no doubt say, “the meter is the property of your previous provider, you’ll need to contact them to get any issues with your smart meter fixed, its out of our control” and i would then imagine PP saying “as you’ve switched to a new provider you will need to request that they take this up on your behalf” - basically neither provider wanting to help and take ownership. Yup cynical i maybe but that seems the par for the course these days.

I realise i’m going to stuck with a meter that won’t be fixed anytime soon, and you would think that at the point i agreed to have smart meters installed that a check of the postcode would have revealed a “noise 7 site” issue and i would have been advised that a smart meter install would not be possible until the noise was fixed, yet that didn’t happen which hasn’t filled me with any confidence about PP.

Fair points @Stewart unique. I’d be tempted to stay put and insist on a working meter. But on the other hand, you can still take manual readings, so you could switch if manual readings are ok with you.

I’m not sure PP is obliged to fix a smart meter if they say the network can’t cope. So maybe try to push PP for a resolution and get an undertaking from your preferred supplier that this will let you switch and check what their position is on a duff smart meter from another supplier.

Phew, what a pickle!

Fair points @Stewart unique. I’d be tempted to stay put and insist on a working meter. But on the other hand, you can still take manual readings, so you could switch if manual readings are ok with you.

I’m not sure PP is obliged to fix a smart meter if they say the network can’t cope. So maybe try to push PP for a resolution and get an undertaking from your preferred supplier that this will let you switch and check what their position is on a duff smart meter from another supplier.

Phew, what a pickle!

Ideally i’d prefer to leave PP as soon as i can without incurring a penalty fee. The overall experience from a service point of view from when i first joined made me regret leaving Outfox the Market.

So maybe prudent to get an undertaking from your new supplier first?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Phew, what a pickle!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Stewart unique 

If you are on a fixed tariff you will be liable for penalty charges  if you leave now irrespective of your meter situation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Phew, what a pickle!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I don’t see the problem as long as readings can be taken (of course just because I can’t see it doesn’t mean there isn’t one so here’s a pickle)

I love a nice Gherkin!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣