New IHD display errors - high electricity consumption

• 6 October 2019
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
Two days ago my IHD started displaying unusually high electricity consumption after working fine during the two weeks since installation. The rate (kW or £) appears correct, but the needle and LED both show high consumption all of the time (mostly red, sometimes orange). NB: despite its colour in the photo, the LED is actually displaying red. In normal usage the needle/LED is green, only jumping to orange when the microwave, kettle, or toaster is running. Meter balances on the IHD and communications unit are in sync. History:

1. Meters installed 17-Sep (Landis+Gyr)
  2. Electricity readings have always looked OK until now
  3. Gas readings were abnormally high over the first two or so days, then settled to normal
  4. When I glanced at the IHD about 1 Oct, the electricity was not registering, displaying 'waiting for data' or something similar. Shortly after, it started displaying normally.
  5. 4 Oct: current errors began, as described above

I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with the promised firmware upgrade, due late September; how can I ascertain if the upgrade has happened? I've been reluctant to do anything until I have good advice (I'm not particularly thrilled about possibly losing the current history stored in the unit). Here are some things I've read in this forum (none verified):

1. PP could fix the IHD problem remotely.
  2. Power cycle the IHD.
  3. Reset from the IHD Settings menu.
  4. Other advice??

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi schase
As far as I know the firmware update hasn't happened yet, so I don't think you can blame that.
I think the historic usage is stored in the meters themselves, so it may be worth trying to reset the IHD via the settings, although you may run the risk of it not reconnecting again. You can report it to PP via Wattbot, apparently if you put IHD problem it takes details and sends to the team. Your choice of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
The below may be seen as unhelpful for which I apologise in advance. It's not aimed at anyone in particular, it's a general comment.

The problem with this whole SM rollout trial is that the public are a very unreasonable bunch, they were told by the government that all the technology was in place and working, there would be Smets2 interoperability, SMs would give customers more control over their energy use, etc. etc. and so, unreasonably the public expected it to work.
This has turned out to be a complete load of rubbish.
(Or are you going to freeze in the dark because an IHD is now telling you (or in many cases not telling you) how much energy you're using?)
I've only read one post where the customer was prepared to change their lifestyle to try to use less energy because they now had an IHD (maybe 2 if you include this one)
The government via Ofgem insisted that energy cos. install these at threat of fines and sanctions (although some recantation of the timeline has recently taken place )

It doesn't work in a large percentage of cases, my guess is it still isn't going to work in many cases properly after the firmware update.
This entire project is driven by a government who don't understand the technology and who rolled this out without proper testing. This is self evident, had it been properly tested there would be very few problems, and there are many.

There is no facility for manual intervention on the IHD,adjusting where you want your red/amber breakpoints, because it's been dumbed down, and it now depends on getting the correct data from the meter, sadly in a lot of cases it either isn't communicating with the meter or the info in the meter is wrong.

So the upshot is you are totally reliant on PP, the DCC and Arquiva (or O2) for this shambles to work.

The sad part of all of this is that every dissatisfaction with smart meters is a potential nail in PP's coffin because not unreasonably customers will blame them for it not working properly. After all they installed it...(that was sarcastic)
Perhaps a more transparent approach would be to say we are not going to offer steps to fix this until we have been provided with the proper firmware and infrastructure to support the meters we have installed, if your IHD isn't working we will contact you to retry it when we have updates. In the meanwhile you can't rely on your IHD, but you can rely on your actual meter readings. (which might or might not be sent automatically)

Where you've gone wrong is thinking it would work, put it in a draw until this shambles is scrapped or fixed.

I'm glad that I opted not to be an early adopter.

I told you it wasn't going to be helpful, but always interested to hear alternative viewpoints

Rant over
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I agree with every word you have said woz. A simple Google search of IHD problem gives a raft of posts from customers of all suppliers even the big six, all saying the same thing.
The technology has not yet caught up with the idea
Userlevel 5
Badge
Thanks, @Duppy, I've just messaged the team, with a link to my post here.

Duppy;39331:
Hi schase As far as I know the firmware update hasn't happened yet, so I don't think you can blame that. I think the historic usage is stored in the meters themselves, so it may be worth trying to reset the IHD via the settings, although you may run the risk of it not reconnecting again. You can report it to PP via Wattbot, apparently if you put IHD problem it takes details and sends to the team. Your choice of course.
Userlevel 5
Badge
@woz, yeah...

My previous provider SSE was constantly hounding me to install smart meters, ever since I moved back to the UK four years ago. I resisted, exactly for the reasons you cite. With PP, I held off for a year, then figured the trial testing period must be coming to an end, and signed up. I didn't realise that even now I'd be part of the guinea pig contingent :-(

The main advantage of smart meters for me would be not to have to send monthly readings. I don't really need the IHD to tell me how much energy I'm using. So far, no satisfaction...

woz;39340:
The below may be seen as unhelpful for which I apologise in advance. It's not aimed at anyone in particular, it's a general comment.

...text deleted...

I'm glad that I opted not to be an early adopter.

I told you it wasn't going to be helpful, but always interested to hear alternative viewpoints

Rant over
schase;39346:
Thanks, @Duppy, I've just messaged the team, with a link to my post here.

Nice one @schase
Looks like this is an issue affecting most members.
A miscalculation in the billing software which we'll need to update.
We're drafting a post about it. But getting actual examples such as yours is really useful (for us)