More smart meter IHD craziness (Part 3)

• 27 January 2021
  • 66 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Here’s another example of just how screwed up my Geo IHD has become (the problem manifested itself over a month ago, but I’ve been too busy of late to post). I suspect this latest error may have been caused by a buggy update pushed to my IHD.

Check out the attached photos from 1-Jan of the gas usage. The IHD bar graphs stopped showing accumulated gas usage in mid-December. The hourly (daily) graphs appear OK, so I haven’t posted them, but the weekly, monthly, and annual graphs (the latter not attached) no longer correctly show accumulated usage. The electricity usage appears OK (other than the standing charge issue mentioned in a previous post).

Given the other problems with the IHD not showing correct amounts (see my previous posts below), I’ve pretty much given up on using the IHD for anything other than instaneous and daily hourly data until such time as these errors are rectified.

This might not bode well for the pilot I’ll be participating in with the consumer access device plugged into the IHD: 

My previous IHD issues:

Monthly gas usage bar chart (1-Jan-2021), incorrectly showing no sigificant accumulation after 14-Dec
Weekly gas usage bar chart (1-Jan-2021), incorrectly showing no significant accumulation on previous days. The correct total for Friday will disappear on the following day.

66 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc , thanks to @Duppy I don’t feel the need for once to write a detailed account with screenshots, as my experience with the IHD and new app has been identical: everything he’s written is applicable to my case.

Now, I don’t quite know how the IHD commissioning works, but my guess is that this problem may have been caused by an error in some IHD software/firmware update in December (the error showed up on my IHD mid-December). I have no doubt that it’s much easier and cheaper to recommission an IHD than it is to fix a software error, which is why that’s always the first port of call...

Thanks for your patience @schase @Duppy 

OK, so we think that an update to gas calorific values in December may be the cause. Or, at least it’s connected. So the smart team have sent a new update today. 

I’ve got all my fingers crossed :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

An update, @Marc; I shared this in a discussion with @Duppy last Friday.

My IHD has seen no changes for the better since we started this investigation: the hourly gas usage graphs appear correct, but the daily usage is not added to the weekly/monthly totals (only a small amount that could be the daily standing charge plus a few pence is added, see below). This since mid-December.

The app, however, is a different story: the daily usage did show up in the weekly/monthly usage charts (4 Aug -- 21 Jan), then stopped, so now I see something similar to what’s on the IHD (although the IHD still shows the errors going back to December). Below a screenshot showing when it stopped being recorded correctly in the app. The current recorded daily amounts range from £0.28 to £0.31.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , an update of my IHD issues, and just to confuse matters even more, mine is different to @schase 

My IHD/ app started to show accumulated usage dated from 27 January to 2 February, which is the day preceding the date the recommissioning was done, but this has now reverted to the usual state of no accumulated usage beyond the membership fee

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just to add that my electricity usage doesn't include the membership fee either

Thanks @schase @Duppy 

Putting the Geo app aside, can I just confirm with you both that your IHDs are still not showing accumulated gas usage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Marc , does this answer your question

Righto @Duppy @schase 

The next step is to repair the IHDs. So, yes, the old switch off and on again. Give it a few minutes between unplugging and plugging back in. :thumbsup:

Fingers-crossed the cumulative usage comes back after that. If not then we’ll need to raise this as a bug for Geo to investigate. :frowning2:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc 

OMG! The IHD is now showing accumulated gas usage! It wasn’t last night!

But the app is still not showing any accumulated gas usage after 21-Jan :frowning2: Maybe it needs more time to sync? :thinking:

IHD daily gas usage now recording (9-Feb)
App accumulated gas usage still not recorded (9-Feb)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Righto @Duppy @schase 

The next step is to repair the IHDs. So, yes, the old switch off and on again. Give it a few minutes between unplugging and plugging back in. :thumbsup:

Fingers-crossed the cumulative usage comes back after that. If not then we’ll need to raise this as a bug for Geo to investigate. :frowning2:

And no, @Marc , I didn’t see your message until after my post just now. I didn’t unplug or reset the IHD, so I don’t know when it started to show correct data (some time after yesterday evening).

Oh! In that case don’t unplug it @schase 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , Just restarted, still the same at the moment, I'll let you know in a few days if any different

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Oh! In that case don’t unplug it @schase 

@Marc I did notice something going on yesterday evening: the electricity dial showing ‘Waiting for data’ at one point (I didn’t see it for the gas when I just happened to be glancing at the IHD). Also once last week. So maybe these were times when some reset/update was being pushed to the IHD.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc

Oh Oh! Things are still not OK in IHD Gas Land:

The IHD is now showing ‘correct’ (I hope) accumulated gas usage for every day except yesterday (Tue 9 Feb).

The app is now showing ‘correct’ accumulated gas usage for all days except 22 Jan -- 1 Feb and 9 Feb (yesterday).

Gas usage 10-Feb; Tue not correct

App gas usage. 9 Feb usage incorrect. Also 22 Jan -- 1 Feb (not shown)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase , you'll need to wait till tomorrow to see if it crosses over at midnight, mine shows usage for the day, then reverts to MF at midnight ( I assume ) I'm going to stay up til midnight tonight and check

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@schase , you'll need to wait till tomorrow to see if it crosses over at midnight, mine shows usage for the day, then reverts to MF at midnight ( I assume ) I'm going to stay up til midnight tonight and check

@schase @Duppy 

That’s almost as anal as me with my power meter,

I recommend a bucket of water and a good night’s sleep…

I think you’re both forgetting this was essentially a government led project, why do you expect it to work properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Good morning @Marc, after the IHD restart the other day, I'm afraid I must report no change in the accumulated usage, when viewing the page in the kWh mode it shows minimal usage ( compared to this morning ).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase , after checking the IHD last night, I found that the daily usage in the week page disappeared sometime between 22.30 hours and 23.47

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My Thursday update:

Both IHD and app operating the same as yesterday, i.e. accumulated gas usage not rolling over to the next day (the bar for today Thurs 11-Feb is showing accumulated usage but doubtful it will roll over tomorrow).

Thanks @schase @Duppy I’ve passed this on to the smart meter team.

I’m going for lie down in a cool, dark room to have a little weep.

Will let you know what they think! I suspect this has to be escalated to Geo.

Hi again @schase @Duppy 

Right, I’m back from the cool, dark room.:relaxed:

The guys are going to do factory resets tomorrow (Friday) and attempt to repair the IHDs.

I’m going to DM you both in a sec with a bit more info. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Duppy @Marc 

No surprise: no change in the cumulative gas usage issue in the IHD/app after recommissioning the IHD on Friday afternoon.

All of the old data (as was displaying) immediately reappeared after recommissioning on Friday. afternoon; the hourly gas usage shows for all days, but doesn't appear in the daily totals (barring the current day).
Missing daily totals: 22 Jan--1 Feb, 9 Feb--onwards (as before recommissioning)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase, same for me, I DM'd @Marc  earlier about this, he's referring back to the smart meter team. I did offer a theory that as the pre reset usage is viewable, that the data is actually stored in the meter rather than the IHD.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@schase, same for me, I DM'd @Marc  earlier about this, he's referring back to the smart meter team. I did offer a theory that as the pre reset usage is viewable, that the data is actually stored in the meter rather than the IHD.

@Duppy, that’s what I have always thought: in my opinion, wherever these calculations are done is where the bugs are.

As we’re dealing with a gas issue, I’ve been a bit quiet about the problem with the electricity calculations (standing charge not added in), but as I think this might be a similar problem (programming/configuration error) I might start shouting about that again.

Hey @schase @Duppy 

Thanks for being so patient! The latest is we’ve had to escalate this with Geo. As soon as there’s a response/update/next steps I will of course jump back in.