More smart meter IHD craziness (Part 3)

• 27 January 2021
  • 66 replies

Show first post

66 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@schase , you'll need to wait till tomorrow to see if it crosses over at midnight, mine shows usage for the day, then reverts to MF at midnight ( I assume ) I'm going to stay up til midnight tonight and check

@schase @Duppy 

That’s almost as anal as me with my power meter,

I recommend a bucket of water and a good night’s sleep…

I think you’re both forgetting this was essentially a government led project, why do you expect it to work properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase , you'll need to wait till tomorrow to see if it crosses over at midnight, mine shows usage for the day, then reverts to MF at midnight ( I assume ) I'm going to stay up til midnight tonight and check

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc

Oh Oh! Things are still not OK in IHD Gas Land:

The IHD is now showing ‘correct’ (I hope) accumulated gas usage for every day except yesterday (Tue 9 Feb).

The app is now showing ‘correct’ accumulated gas usage for all days except 22 Jan -- 1 Feb and 9 Feb (yesterday).

Gas usage 10-Feb; Tue not correct

App gas usage. 9 Feb usage incorrect. Also 22 Jan -- 1 Feb (not shown)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Oh! In that case don’t unplug it @schase 

@Marc I did notice something going on yesterday evening: the electricity dial showing ‘Waiting for data’ at one point (I didn’t see it for the gas when I just happened to be glancing at the IHD). Also once last week. So maybe these were times when some reset/update was being pushed to the IHD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , Just restarted, still the same at the moment, I'll let you know in a few days if any different

Oh! In that case don’t unplug it @schase 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Righto @Duppy @schase 

The next step is to repair the IHDs. So, yes, the old switch off and on again. Give it a few minutes between unplugging and plugging back in. :thumbsup:

Fingers-crossed the cumulative usage comes back after that. If not then we’ll need to raise this as a bug for Geo to investigate. :frowning2:

And no, @Marc , I didn’t see your message until after my post just now. I didn’t unplug or reset the IHD, so I don’t know when it started to show correct data (some time after yesterday evening).

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc 

OMG! The IHD is now showing accumulated gas usage! It wasn’t last night!

But the app is still not showing any accumulated gas usage after 21-Jan :frowning2: Maybe it needs more time to sync? :thinking:

IHD daily gas usage now recording (9-Feb)
App accumulated gas usage still not recorded (9-Feb)

Righto @Duppy @schase 

The next step is to repair the IHDs. So, yes, the old switch off and on again. Give it a few minutes between unplugging and plugging back in. :thumbsup:

Fingers-crossed the cumulative usage comes back after that. If not then we’ll need to raise this as a bug for Geo to investigate. :frowning2:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Marc , does this answer your question

Thanks @schase @Duppy 

Putting the Geo app aside, can I just confirm with you both that your IHDs are still not showing accumulated gas usage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just to add that my electricity usage doesn't include the membership fee either

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , an update of my IHD issues, and just to confuse matters even more, mine is different to @schase 

My IHD/ app started to show accumulated usage dated from 27 January to 2 February, which is the day preceding the date the recommissioning was done, but this has now reverted to the usual state of no accumulated usage beyond the membership fee

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

An update, @Marc; I shared this in a discussion with @Duppy last Friday.

My IHD has seen no changes for the better since we started this investigation: the hourly gas usage graphs appear correct, but the daily usage is not added to the weekly/monthly totals (only a small amount that could be the daily standing charge plus a few pence is added, see below). This since mid-December.

The app, however, is a different story: the daily usage did show up in the weekly/monthly usage charts (4 Aug -- 21 Jan), then stopped, so now I see something similar to what’s on the IHD (although the IHD still shows the errors going back to December). Below a screenshot showing when it stopped being recorded correctly in the app. The current recorded daily amounts range from £0.28 to £0.31.

Thanks for your patience @schase @Duppy 

OK, so we think that an update to gas calorific values in December may be the cause. Or, at least it’s connected. So the smart team have sent a new update today. 

I’ve got all my fingers crossed :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc , thanks to @Duppy I don’t feel the need for once to write a detailed account with screenshots, as my experience with the IHD and new app has been identical: everything he’s written is applicable to my case.

Now, I don’t quite know how the IHD commissioning works, but my guess is that this problem may have been caused by an error in some IHD software/firmware update in December (the error showed up on my IHD mid-December). I have no doubt that it’s much easier and cheaper to recommission an IHD than it is to fix a software error, which is why that’s always the first port of call...

Hi @Marc , the IHD showing the same but not as detailed as the app. Well give it a while longer to see if it starts behaving, The historical data ( for electric anyway ) has been retained

Thanks @Duppy OK we’ll give it a little longer. Doesn’t look too promising though. I’ve flagged with Sam from our smart meters team, so he can have a think about what to try next. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Marc , the IHD showing the same but not as detailed as the app. Well give it a while longer to see if it starts behaving, The historical data ( for electric anyway ) has been retained

Hey @Duppy You’re confusing me a bit now! What is the IHD showing?

We expected to lose the historical accumulated usage once the recommissioning took place, but hoped that it would work again going forward.

Shall we wait a couple more days, see if accumulated usage in the IHD begins to work again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Marc 

Thanks to the wizardry of the app, I can see that the recommissioning of the IHD didn't have the desired effect.

The first photo shows gas use yesterday, the total usage shows at £0.23, but highlighted 17.00 hrs shows £0.44 spent in the hour, with corresponding usage in the following hours

The second photo shows this week where Monday and Tuesday usage at £0.23.

It appears that while the IHD does show actual usage for the day, the accumulated usage dons Cinderella slippers at midnight and disappears into the night, to only show the daily membership fee of £0.23

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@schase

Like you I didn't receive an email to say it had been done, only that it would. But it did go off/restart and all settings reset to defaults.

Having checked this just now the IHD informs me I used £0.89 of gas yesterday ( of which 23p is MF ), if only.

Gee, @Duppy, I’m doing even better than you: only 30p of gas charges yesterday--meaning I used only 3.3p of gas :joy::joy:. And with the electricity it’s the reverse: the IHD shows the electricity usage without including the 26.66p daily standing charge.

At least the app is providing more information :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase 

Like you I didn't receive an email to say it had been done, only that it would. But it did go off/restart and all settings reset to defaults.

Having checked this just now the IHD informs me I used £0.89 of gas yesterday ( of which 23p is MF ), if only.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @schase @Duppy I believe Sam from the smart meters team has emailed you both to confirm he’s done the recommissioning, and that if you can give it 24 hours :thumbsup:

Well, something happened yesterday morning when I was out. I came home to see the IHD working but all of my preferences (e.g. display, budget, wifi connection) had been reset. I set them up again. All data still there as before with no change, so I’m unclear whether the IHD was actually recomissioned.

I did not move the IHD closer to the electricity meter as requested, as I was unsure whether the recommissioning had already happened (it currently sits in the location where the Magnum installer put it on the two occasions it was commissioned). I noted this in an email response to Samuel, but have not heard back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

That's right @Marc , although initial results are not promising, will continue to monitor