More smart meter IHD craziness (Part 3)

• 27 January 2021
  • 66 replies

Show first post

66 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc , thanks to @Duppy I don’t feel the need for once to write a detailed account with screenshots, as my experience with the IHD and new app has been identical: everything he’s written is applicable to my case.

Now, I don’t quite know how the IHD commissioning works, but my guess is that this problem may have been caused by an error in some IHD software/firmware update in December (the error showed up on my IHD mid-December). I have no doubt that it’s much easier and cheaper to recommission an IHD than it is to fix a software error, which is why that’s always the first port of call...

Thanks for your patience @schase @Duppy 

OK, so we think that an update to gas calorific values in December may be the cause. Or, at least it’s connected. So the smart team have sent a new update today. 

I’ve got all my fingers crossed :fingers_crossed:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

An update, @Marc; I shared this in a discussion with @Duppy last Friday.

My IHD has seen no changes for the better since we started this investigation: the hourly gas usage graphs appear correct, but the daily usage is not added to the weekly/monthly totals (only a small amount that could be the daily standing charge plus a few pence is added, see below). This since mid-December.

The app, however, is a different story: the daily usage did show up in the weekly/monthly usage charts (4 Aug -- 21 Jan), then stopped, so now I see something similar to what’s on the IHD (although the IHD still shows the errors going back to December). Below a screenshot showing when it stopped being recorded correctly in the app. The current recorded daily amounts range from £0.28 to £0.31.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , an update of my IHD issues, and just to confuse matters even more, mine is different to @schase 

My IHD/ app started to show accumulated usage dated from 27 January to 2 February, which is the day preceding the date the recommissioning was done, but this has now reverted to the usual state of no accumulated usage beyond the membership fee

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Just to add that my electricity usage doesn't include the membership fee either

Thanks @schase @Duppy 

Putting the Geo app aside, can I just confirm with you both that your IHDs are still not showing accumulated gas usage?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Marc , does this answer your question

Righto @Duppy @schase 

The next step is to repair the IHDs. So, yes, the old switch off and on again. Give it a few minutes between unplugging and plugging back in. :thumbsup:

Fingers-crossed the cumulative usage comes back after that. If not then we’ll need to raise this as a bug for Geo to investigate. :frowning2:

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc 

OMG! The IHD is now showing accumulated gas usage! It wasn’t last night!

But the app is still not showing any accumulated gas usage after 21-Jan :frowning2: Maybe it needs more time to sync? :thinking:

IHD daily gas usage now recording (9-Feb)
App accumulated gas usage still not recorded (9-Feb)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Righto @Duppy @schase 

The next step is to repair the IHDs. So, yes, the old switch off and on again. Give it a few minutes between unplugging and plugging back in. :thumbsup:

Fingers-crossed the cumulative usage comes back after that. If not then we’ll need to raise this as a bug for Geo to investigate. :frowning2:

And no, @Marc , I didn’t see your message until after my post just now. I didn’t unplug or reset the IHD, so I don’t know when it started to show correct data (some time after yesterday evening).

Oh! In that case don’t unplug it @schase 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , Just restarted, still the same at the moment, I'll let you know in a few days if any different

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Oh! In that case don’t unplug it @schase 

@Marc I did notice something going on yesterday evening: the electricity dial showing ‘Waiting for data’ at one point (I didn’t see it for the gas when I just happened to be glancing at the IHD). Also once last week. So maybe these were times when some reset/update was being pushed to the IHD.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Marc

Oh Oh! Things are still not OK in IHD Gas Land:

The IHD is now showing ‘correct’ (I hope) accumulated gas usage for every day except yesterday (Tue 9 Feb).

The app is now showing ‘correct’ accumulated gas usage for all days except 22 Jan -- 1 Feb and 9 Feb (yesterday).

Gas usage 10-Feb; Tue not correct

App gas usage. 9 Feb usage incorrect. Also 22 Jan -- 1 Feb (not shown)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase , you'll need to wait till tomorrow to see if it crosses over at midnight, mine shows usage for the day, then reverts to MF at midnight ( I assume ) I'm going to stay up til midnight tonight and check

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@schase , you'll need to wait till tomorrow to see if it crosses over at midnight, mine shows usage for the day, then reverts to MF at midnight ( I assume ) I'm going to stay up til midnight tonight and check

@schase @Duppy 

That’s almost as anal as me with my power meter,

I recommend a bucket of water and a good night’s sleep…

I think you’re both forgetting this was essentially a government led project, why do you expect it to work properly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Good morning @Marc, after the IHD restart the other day, I'm afraid I must report no change in the accumulated usage, when viewing the page in the kWh mode it shows minimal usage ( compared to this morning ).

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase , after checking the IHD last night, I found that the daily usage in the week page disappeared sometime between 22.30 hours and 23.47

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My Thursday update:

Both IHD and app operating the same as yesterday, i.e. accumulated gas usage not rolling over to the next day (the bar for today Thurs 11-Feb is showing accumulated usage but doubtful it will roll over tomorrow).

Thanks @schase @Duppy I’ve passed this on to the smart meter team.

I’m going for lie down in a cool, dark room to have a little weep.

Will let you know what they think! I suspect this has to be escalated to Geo.

Hi again @schase @Duppy 

Right, I’m back from the cool, dark room.:relaxed:

The guys are going to do factory resets tomorrow (Friday) and attempt to repair the IHDs.

I’m going to DM you both in a sec with a bit more info. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Duppy @Marc 

No surprise: no change in the cumulative gas usage issue in the IHD/app after recommissioning the IHD on Friday afternoon.

All of the old data (as was displaying) immediately reappeared after recommissioning on Friday. afternoon; the hourly gas usage shows for all days, but doesn't appear in the daily totals (barring the current day).
Missing daily totals: 22 Jan--1 Feb, 9 Feb--onwards (as before recommissioning)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@schase, same for me, I DM'd @Marc  earlier about this, he's referring back to the smart meter team. I did offer a theory that as the pre reset usage is viewable, that the data is actually stored in the meter rather than the IHD.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@schase, same for me, I DM'd @Marc  earlier about this, he's referring back to the smart meter team. I did offer a theory that as the pre reset usage is viewable, that the data is actually stored in the meter rather than the IHD.

@Duppy, that’s what I have always thought: in my opinion, wherever these calculations are done is where the bugs are.

As we’re dealing with a gas issue, I’ve been a bit quiet about the problem with the electricity calculations (standing charge not added in), but as I think this might be a similar problem (programming/configuration error) I might start shouting about that again.

Hey @schase @Duppy 

Thanks for being so patient! The latest is we’ve had to escalate this with Geo. As soon as there’s a response/update/next steps I will of course jump back in.