Latest on sending us monthly meter readings and receiving statements after your SMETS2 installation

• 11 December 2019
  • 21 replies

Hey everyone,

We wanted to give you a further update following our recent post on receiving statements after your SMETS2 smart meter installation, and sending us your monthly meter readings.

If your meter was installed between the end of July and the start of September and you haven't received your statement yet - our smart meters team are working hard to get these sent out to you as soon as possible.

And now some good news!

We are receiving some Members' smart readings each month (that's readings sent to our system from your meter, with no manual intervention) - if you can see monthly smart readings on your account's 'meter reading history', don't worry about sending us your meter readings each month!😁

Circled below is how you can tell the readings on your account are smart👍

If you do see any 'estimated' readings on your account, don't worry - just send a manual meter reading when you get your email reminder, and on your next statement your balance will be updated to reflect your actual usage.

We want to be completely confident that we're regularly getting smart readings for the majority of members with SMETS2 meters, before advising to stop sending them. Once we're happy with this, we'll stop sending your monthly meter reading email reminders.

Finally, it's worth knowing that when your smart meter readings do come through, if you were previously billed to estimates or your own readings, you may be sent an updated consolidated statement to include your smart readings.

You can read all about consolidated statements in our FAQs - it basically means you'll receive a new statement, which covers more than one month's usage. It's also likely that if you receive one of these, your future statements will use your smart readings, too. 🙂

Any questions? Let's chat about them in the replies below!

21 replies

I already had a Gen2 Smart Metre installed when I joined PurePlanet in October. Can I expect it to start working again soon or will I need new equipment installed?
​​​​​​​
Hey @Matt77

Welcome to the Community! Good question 👍

​​​​​​​If you previously had a SMETS2 meter installed, the same info applies for you as above.

Don't worry, you won't need new meters installed 🙂
Yay \o/. Looks like I just had my first fully smart month.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I've had smart readings on the gas for a couple of months, but the electricity meter is still not sending readings 🙁

Just sent in my readings today; haven't tried sending just electricity, not gas; don't know if the submission interface would allow it.
It's been 2 months now since this post and I'm still being asked to manually submit metre readings. When can I expect my Smart Metres to start working again?
Hey @Matt77

For now we're still asking all Members to send us their meter readings each month.

It's worth checking if there are Smart readings on your latest statement(s)?

Until we're confident we're receiving the majority of members' smart readings, we'll continue to send the monthly meter reading reminder👍
That's great Mr Bojangles, i've finally had my gas installed and am waiting to see how it all turns out!
The only readings on my statement are "actual" and "estimated". However, I 'm beginning to suspect that even though these are the second set of SMART metres I've had installed in this house, they are actually SMETS1

There's no clear information on the PurePlanet Community pages that I can find on how to identify my metres, but this page has a list of typical SMETS1 and SMETS2 brands:
https://www.smartme.co.uk/technical.html

Sure enough, my "Secure-Liberty 100" is listed on the SMETS-1 list!
How can I report this and arrange to have them replaced with SMETS2 metres?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Matt77

If you sent photos of your meters as requested when you switched, PP will know what type of meters you have.
If your meters are smets1, then work is going on which will update the meters to make them smart again, but this is an industry wide project and out of PP's control. More information here
​​​​​​​https://community.purepla.net/threads/6083-Second-generation-(SMETS2)-smart-meters-eligibility
My smart meter seems to be sending electricity readings but has never sent gas readings. I don't know how to see the readings on the display to send in. Does anyone know how to get to them?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Dwong
it appears from your previous posts that your smart meters were fitted by Pure Planet, in which case to read the gas meter you need to wake the meter by pressing the A button. You are looking for a reading with M3 ​​​​​​​value
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Dwong and just to clarify even though it may be obvious (sorry if so) you need to read the ACTUAL meter NOT the in-home display.
Dwong;50995:
My smart meter seems to be sending electricity readings but has never sent gas readings. I don't know how to see the readings on the display to send in. Does anyone know how to get to them?
Hi Woz,

Thanks for the reply and it's not obvious or maybe I'm expecting a 'smart' meter to be, I don't know, smart?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Dwong
haha, that explains it then...
Actually the meters are quite smart, but sadly those who designed the infrastructure, implementation and most importantly of all testing, have now moved back to their home planet in a galaxy far away...
Theory goes that even if it's smets1 it should be upgradeable and able to send readings, (I'm sure someone will come along and tell us that it has worked) but there are still many smets2 models not reliably communicating yet, and they were supposed to be compatible.
On the plus side if you still need to send readings it's only once a month, and even then no matter if you miss the odd one, your statement will catch up next time you submit.
If your meters were fitted by PP and still not communicating it's worth asking through wattbot, as they may need to do something at their end. Bear in mind they are working remotely at the moment.

Dwong;51021:
Hi Woz,

Thanks for the reply and it's not obvious or maybe I'm expecting a 'smart' meter to be, I don't know, smart?
Thanks again. Yes PP did install and electricity readings are being sent just not the gas. I'll ask Wattbot but that dead ends me at a post on the community. I find it hard to actually send a support query to PP.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Dwong
type message the team, which may take you through some common problems but it should culminate in you being able to send your query to the team. Given the lockdown situation I'm not sure what they can do at the moment, but it's worth a try.

I’ve just joined and am surprised that I am being asked to do manual readings when I have a smart meter that I understand to be one of the newer versions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Suzihux 

hi suzi

have you read this?

https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/why-are-you-asking-for-my-meter-readings-11715

Yes I read that document,  6 months in, still no reading of my smart meter. If I had known I wouldn’t have switched. It’s a right pain to read my meters - really not impressed with this service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Yes I read that document,  6 months in, still no reading of my smart meter. If I had known I wouldn’t have switched. It’s a right pain to read my meters - really not impressed with this service. 

@Suzihux if it’s so difficult to do just read them every 2 months, (6 times a year or whenever you can) , it won’t really matter, you’ll be estimated for a month max. The same would probably have happened if you’d switched anywhere else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Suzihux 

It is)was a known fact that the early smart meters may not work when switching suppliers, this applies to all suppliers not just PP