is it worth to have a smart meter

Will it cost me more money to have a smart meter, is it worth it

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hello Kizz.

The only thing that can be guaranteed is that it wont cost you any more. 

Will it save you money. Proberly not.

You can save money but you will need to check the IHD on a regular basis and act upon the info you can gather from it. Which basically means it helps you check everything is turned off that does not need to be on. It wont turn things off for you. In the future there are promises that they will sing and dance and save you £ every year. But being as the nerwork used to let them operate is not even up to the speed that was promised years ago 

If you have some sort of home generation or an EV car then there will be advatages but most people will simply lobb the IHD into the bottom draw after 6 months as your fed up of seeing glowing away in the corner while watching coronation street reruns. 

Well thats my view anyway.

Thanks I really don’t know whether to get one or not

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Kizz 

It will if you use the IHD as it consumes energy. I’m still unclear who pays for running the electronics in the meter.

It’ll only save you money if you take notice of it and switch stuff off, but you should be doing that anyway.

Userlevel 4

Smart meters are great, they won't physically save you money  but if you make them work for you, you can reduce your wasted energy.

Its surprising how much energy a household wastes each year without realising, 

For me my smart (not that it works now ive moved to PP) made me more aware of things like sockets on that didnt need to be  lights being left on(pesky kids) leaving showers running while gathering a fresh change of clothes ,

The gas hob, being switched on while gathering foods and such,. They are super helpful when it comes to  budgeting  & the added bonus of no estimated bills where your either over paying  or on the flipside underpaying & end up with a tasty debt you have to pay off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Smart meters are great, they won't physically save you money  but if you make them work for you, you can reduce your wasted energy.

For me my smart (not that it works now ive moved to PP) made me more aware of things like sockets on that didnt need to be  lights being left on(pesky kids) leaving showers running while gathering a fresh change of clothes ,

The gas hob, being switched on while gathering foods and such,. They are super helpful when it comes to  budgeting  & the added bonus of no estimated bills where your either over paying  or on the flipside underpaying & end up with a tasty debt you have to pay off. 

and now that the meter has trained you and the kids :tongue:  you can ignore it and just switch stuff off anyway ...

(and it won’t stop them leaving the water running while they brush their teeth...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

the added bonus of no estimated bills where your either over paying  or on the flipside underpaying & end up with a tasty debt you have to pay off. 

Just a quick comment - a smart meter will only solve this problem if you have a non-smart meter that you never bother to read, and you never bother to read your monthly statement. Pure Planet prompts you for a monthly reading precisely to avoid this happening, and thankfully I can still walk a few paces, and my meters are easy to access. If (when) I get decrepit I might get more enthusiastic about smart meters!

Userlevel 4

and now that the meter has trained you and the kids :tongue:  you can ignore it and just switch stuff off anyway ...

(and it won’t stop them leaving the water running while they brush their teeth...)

Haha, 

Wet your brush scrub & scrub your teeth, rinse brush at the end, never your chompers, or your washing away all that paste 😉  

Userlevel 3

Smart meters can save crawling in the cupboard under the stairs in near darkness to try to work out what the reading is every month (A big reason I wish I could have them).   They also open up the possibility of multi-rate tariffs in the future that change multiple times per day depending on demand.  They’re unlikely to save you any energy unless you never cared about what you spent previously.

They also lead to a more complex system that could go wrong, maybe even cutting off your power. Less is more. Mostly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm not ready for one in my life

BOGOF. Two for the price of one scubby… 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hahaha

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Smart meters do save money but not for the consumer, only the supplier. Once the novelty wore off I stopped paying much attention to my display but as it faces me in my study I note that it is not unusual to see it in the red for electric use when nothing is on to do that. It stays there for a short time then drops back to green. It is not things like fridges or freezers switching on. I think there is quite a time lag before the display updates.

i can’t speak for gas for I don’t have a smart meter installed for such due to problems or rather inadequacies with the installer. But that is a different story.

We have just had texts about it from a third party.

I am not keen on one, but except for the fact that I try to save energy anyway I think it would be more useful to know, how much energy we use / waste in comparison with other households. You can rate your car e.g. by fuel consumption.

How much gas and electricity should a 4 / 5 / 6-bedroom house or a family of 2, 3, 4 use per year?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

See if this helps:

What’s the average energy usage for a UK household?

Calculating the average energy usage for UK homes is difficult because there are so many factors that can affect how much you will pay, from how well insulated your home to the time of the day your household uses the most energy, average energy consumption figures can vary slightly.

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has created the following Typical Domestic Consumption Values (TDCVs), whihc are a set of estimates designed to give you an idea how much gas and electricity your home uses.

What is typical household gas usage?

Consumption rate Usage (in kWh)
Low 8,000
Medium 12,000
High 17,000

Low household gas consumption is roughly defined as 8,000kWh, rising to 12,000kWh for average consumption and 17,000kWh for high consumption. This means that average gas usage per month works out at 1,000 kWh.

Typically, gas usage increases by 2,500kWh for each extra bedroom in your home.

What is typical household electricty usage?

Electrcity Profile Class 1

Consumption rate Usage (in kWh)
Low 1,800
Medium 2,900
High 4,300

Electrcity Profile Class 2

Consumption rate Usage (in kWH)
Low 2,400
Medium 4,200
High 7,100

Regarding electricity consumption, the following figures apply:

• Low consumption is estimated as being between 1,800kWh and 2,400kWh
  • Medium consumption at 2,900kWh to 4,200kWh
  • High consumption is between 4,300kWh and 7,100kWh.

This means that average electricity usage per month in UK households is about 350kWh.

These consumption rates are based upon your electricity profile class (see below) and usage increases by roughly 250kWh per extra bedroom in the house.

How much electricity does a house use per day?

The average electricity usage per day per household all depends on how many people are in the house and which appliances are being used - this is why households usually use more energy at weekends, and why we're expecting a spike in energy usage during the coronavirus lockdown.

Average energy consumption is also affected by the weather, which is why energy bills are usually higher during the darker, colder winter months, but average household electricity consumption works out at between eight and 10 kWh per day.

And, for reference, the average gas usage in UK households is between 32 and 38 kWh per day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I don’t know anyone who uses energy akin to those ofgem figures, obviously I’m mixing with the wrong people…

Turn up the heating mavis ….

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t know anyone who uses energy akin to those ofgem figures, obviously I’m mixing with the wrong people…

Turn up the heating mavis ….

Is mavis your own personal Alexa? Or is there something we should know?