Solved

Installation feedback

My meter was due to be installed today. I have just had a call from Magnum to say they cannot guarantee someone will come due to an engineer calling in sick. I've therefore cancelled the installation as I'm not prepared to wait in all day for someone who may not arrive.
Up until today the communication was good with Magnum. Shame they've failed on the most important part.

- - - Updated - - -

Just been called back and they are coming just after lunch. Hopefully all will go well.
icon

Best answer by Nataly 1 May 2019, 13:46

Hey @Bjamp

Thanks for the feedback - I've passed this on to our Smart team.

Great to hear they got back in touch with you quickly and have confirmed the installation.

Let us know how it all goes 🆙
View original

80 replies

I'd like to offer some feedback on the Smart Meter experience thus far.. It's been pretty disappointing to be honest. Our SMETS2 meters were installed a month ago, on April 4th. The engineer arrived as arranged, just after 9am. The electricity meter was fitted reasonably quickly, soon found a network connection and was set up. This meter acts as a master meter, connecting to the back-office servers and also passing on information from the gas meter. The gas meter also installed fine, connected to the Home Area Network (HAN) and the two meters seemed to be communicating with each other no problem.

However, the Magnum servers could not see the gas meter. The electricity one was visible, but even though the two meters appeared to be communicating with each other, the engineer working with the back-office team by telephone could not get them to see it. The upshot is that the in-house monitor could not be set up either, as it needs both meters to be on the system before it is connected. After six hours of repeated calls and pressing the 'check HAN commands' feature on the gas meter well into the hundreds of times, the engineer gave up and said someone would be in touch. He also said ours was not the first one he'd installed that had had these problems.

A week went by; no call. I rang Magnum to see what was happening (I was only able to do this because I had a number for the engineer because he'd texted me on the day of install as he was slightly delayed by traffic, otherwise I would have had no means of contacting them). I was told that according to their system, the installation had been completed successfully! So one week wasted. I explained the problems we'd had and was assured a message would be sent to the back-office team, who would urgently look into it and get back to me.

Another week went by; no call. I rang Magnum again. I was again told another urgent message would be sent to the back-office team and someone would be in touch very soon.

Another week went by; no call. I rang Magnum once again. This time the agent listened back to the recordings of my previous calls and after a half-hour or so of being on hold and her speaking with various people, told me I needed to call Pure and request them to request Magnum carry out a Site Investigation...! They couldn't just arrange it themselves and hadn't told me that this was needed when I first called in. I did politely point out that it was a bit disappointed to have taken them three weeks to get to the point of knowing what it was I needed to do to get this problem resolved. Especially as ours was not a unique case.

So, I asked Pure to do this for me using WattBot a week last Friday. I've had confirmation this has been done, but as yet still have heard nothing from Magnum...

It is a month since our SMETS2 meters were installed and I am happy to have been part of the trial, but at present they are effectively dumb meters. Magnum seem to have some real issues to resolve and are not at all good at customer communications. When they booked us in for the installation, no contact details were given, nor a confirmatory email sent, so it would have been impossible to change or cancel the booking if necessary.

I respect that this is only our experience, but am providing feedback here to say that if all doesn't go well at install, it is really difficult to get the issues resolved.

My hope is this will be sorted swiftly and Pure will look into developing variable time tariffs soon, which would make effective use of the capabilities of the smart metering.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
So in a nutshell:
The engineers are insufficiently trained or lack the capability or resources to resolve the sort of issues which are likely to crop up on installation.
(I don't want to sound like a smart a*se but this was inevitable, I suppose that's why it was called a trial - that's not meant to sound arrogant.)
Customer communication needs a kick up the backside - it's simply not good enough.
Great feedback, I'm sure or at least I hope PP will act upon it.
Keep us updated?

Spike;28740:
I'd like to offer some feedback on the Smart Meter experience thus far.. It's been pretty disappointing to be honest. Our SMETS2 meters were installed a month ago, on April 4th. The engineer arrived as arranged, just after 9am. The electricity meter was fitted reasonably quickly, soon found a network connection and was set up. This meter acts as a master meter, connecting to the back-office servers and also passing on information from the gas meter. The gas meter also installed fine, connected to the Home Area Network (HAN) and the two meters seemed to be communicating with each other no problem.

However, the Magnum servers could not see the gas meter. The electricity one was visible, but even though the two meters appeared to be communicating with each other, the engineer working with the back-office team by telephone could not get them to see it. The upshot is that the in-house monitor could not be set up either, as it needs both meters to be on the system before it is connected. After six hours of repeated calls and pressing the 'check HAN commands' feature on the gas meter well into the hundreds of times, the engineer gave up and said someone would be in touch. He also said ours was not the first one he'd installed that had had these problems.

A week went by; no call. I rang Magnum to see what was happening (I was only able to do this because I had a number for the engineer because he'd texted me on the day of install as he was slightly delayed by traffic, otherwise I would have had no means of contacting them). I was told that according to their system, the installation had been completed successfully! So one week wasted. I explained the problems we'd had and was assured a message would be sent to the back-office team, who would urgently look into it and get back to me.

Another week went by; no call. I rang Magnum again. I was again told another urgent message would be sent to the back-office team and someone would be in touch very soon.

Another week went by; no call. I rang Magnum once again. This time the agent listened back to the recordings of my previous calls and after a half-hour or so of being on hold and her speaking with various people, told me I needed to call Pure and request them to request Magnum carry out a Site Investigation...! They couldn't just arrange it themselves and hadn't told me that this was needed when I first called in. I did politely point out that it was a bit disappointed to have taken them three weeks to get to the point of knowing what it was I needed to do to get this problem resolved. Especially as ours was not a unique case.

So, I asked Pure to do this for me using WattBot a week last Friday. I've had confirmation this has been done, but as yet still have heard nothing from Magnum...

It is a month since our SMETS2 meters were installed and I am happy to have been part of the trial, but at present they are effectively dumb meters. Magnum seem to have some real issues to resolve and are not at all good at customer communications. When they booked us in for the installation, no contact details were given, nor a confirmatory email sent, so it would have been impossible to change or cancel the booking if necessary.

I respect that this is only our experience, but am providing feedback here to say that if all doesn't go well at install, it is really difficult to get the issues resolved.

My hope is this will be sorted swiftly and Pure will look into developing variable time tariffs soon, which would make effective use of the capabilities of the smart metering.
Well, my installation has happened and it all went well. The monitor appears to be working fine and communicating to both meters.
Just need to work out how to get my readings emailed to my spread sheet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Superb feedback Spike 👍👍👍👏👏👏👏👏
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
As far as I know your statement date won't change, eventually you'll get a statement with the old meter readings and the start of the new ones.
Your statement may have been delayed due to the meter change, I don't know, but I would still have expected a statement on time even if it had estimated readings, and a correction eventually (on a later statement).
If there is an problem there it's down to PP, because there are only two scenarios, either it's delayed due to the meter change in which case that should have been clearly communicated to you, or it's an error with the system. Either way isn't good.

If you look in the rule book, section 4 page 5 para.3 subsection 2a, you'll see in the small print: constant updates to any of the family members (but especially Wife) always ends badly...
Jowl;29653:
well my in home display sprang to life today (My wife is already getting fed up of the hourly updates from me about how much we're using 😃 ). It's connected to my meter but not the network apparantly.

Haven't heard from Magnum about my gas meter yet. And I haven't yet had a PP energy bill for this month. I submitted both readings using the App but ony electricity is showing. Will I have a new billing date with my Smart Meter. What happens when my Gas smart meter is fitted? Any advice @Marc or @Nataly ?
I had my install a just over a week ago. Engineer called ahead to confirm arrival time which was within the pre-arranged time. When he arrived he'd mentioned that he'd had similar problems with getting things to communicate. He took a few pictures of my hob running and got to work. Install took about an hour and a half with no real issue as far as I could tell.

IHD is working fine. I understand it's a trial and I would still have to submit readings but I was expecting to be able to see the meter reading on the IHD, but I can only see usage in kWh or £?

Nonetheless, I'm pleased with how this all went and happy to have been given this for no extra charge. Looking forward to the "going live" day. Will there be cake?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Bojangles,
You can see the meter readings on the IHD, if you press home button, scroll down to meters, you have a choice of electric or gas, select the one you want and you will see the readings plus meter number etc,
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
When using wattBot did you first type "Message the Team" as this will flag up your message to team member, other wise it acts just as a Robot.

Response back within 2 days but factor in the weekend, if you forget to look back in the APP/wattBot you will get a text as a reminder to head back.

​Hoe this assists
Well our experience wasn’t good.

Firstly pre engineer contact from magnum was good with text messages and a phone call as engineer arrived - we subsequently discovered however that the number magnum include in the text message is unobtainable.

Engineer visited and Electric meter was up and running fairly quickly although it wouldn’t connect to the IHD. However he couldn’t get the gas meter to connect after 4 hours so reinstalled our old meter.

That’s when it all went wrong.
Engineer stated a second visit would be needed and someone from Magnum/Pure would’ve in touch to arrange.
He also said IHD should connect within 24 hours once it was configured centrally.
Both statements were wrong.

It appears engineers have a set sequence to follow and are lost if anything in that sequence goes wrong.

After IHD failed to connect and no contact to arrange a new visit for the gas install we contacted Pure (via watbot) and Magnum (via website/email).

Multiple replies from both companies were contradictory. An apology from magnum and offer to arrange the second visit by email, which they did.
Pure stated a visit was likely to be fruitless as there were known issues with the gas installations and IHD connectivity which weren’t likely to be solved until after September / end of year.
Visit went ahead as planned but engineer when he arrived didn’t know what to do (even though it was the same engineer as the first visit) he waited for a call from the Magnum office for an hour or so and was then told what to do.
Gas meter was installed and working and connected to IHD Electric meter was still working but not connected to IHD but again we were told this would connect within 24 hours. It didn’t.
To be fair both Magnum and Pure checked with us how the second visit had gone and Pure did something on the Monday after the installation (which was on a Friday) which made the electricity meter to connect.

So we now have working gas and electric meters which we are told are connected to Pure and connect to our IHD.

In the Pure app our electric usage shows the last reading before the meter was changed then the word closing. The gas usage shows the last reading before the meter was changed but doesn’t show closing.

On checking with Pure they say this is normal and readings won’t show in the app for about 12 weeks which seems a long time.

They also say we will need to send manual readings for the next 12 weeks. However we can’t currently send any electric readings as app doesn’t give the option and gas reading shows the serial number of the old meter.

Nextvreading isn’t till 29th August do hopefully app will allow readings by then.

Summary of our experience:
Engineers need better training.
Connectivity of metrrs is flakey and is a known issue in the north.
IHD connectivity is poor, only working when it’s within a few meters of the the meters and batteries only last a few hours so it needs to be permanently plugged in (and using electricity).
Communication between Pure and Magnum is pure with contradictory information.
Contacts for customers when things go wrong are poor and there needs to be an easier way to raise issues at a single point of contact.
Once installed readings are still estimates for 12 weeks which seems a long time.

So have had to stay in the house for 2 half days, spend probably another half a day chasing up Pure and Magnum. End result we have no information on usage in the app and an IHD which isn’t really practical to use.

I’m sure it will all be ok eventually but our experience says there are still a lot of teething problems and engineer said our experience wasn’t unusual.
Badge +2
Excellent feedback @Spike and I agree with @woz really. In software terms it's more an Alpha release than even a Beta release.

I can understand connection issues. But as I've said in my own feedback and elsewhere, the communication from Magnum is poor (at best) and that is one thing they should be able to do right. It's VITAL in a trial period especially.
Jowl;29653:
well my in home display sprang to life today (My wife is already getting fed up of the hourly updates from me about how much we're using 😃 ). It's connected to my meter but not the network apparantly.

Haven't heard from Magnum about my gas meter yet. And I haven't yet had a PP energy bill for this month. I submitted both readings using the App but ony electricity is showing. Will I have a new billing date with my Smart Meter. What happens when my Gas smart meter is fitted? Any advice @Marc or @Nataly ?

Hi @Jowl
Good to hear the IHD is alive.
You won't get a statement for a couple of months. This pilot phase is really helping us to get these processes up and running, so your patience is appreciated! :foldedhands:
That lack of contact about the gas meter is not good. I've flagged this up with the team and your second appointment was booked for 30 April. So why it wasn't carried out, and why there was no communication, is being looked into. Sorry about that.
Niall from our Member services team is talking to Magnum about setting up a new gas meter appointment 🆙
Spike;31221:
Further update on my SMETS2 situation - I had a phone call from Magnum 23rd/24th May to say they were aware of my situation and someone would be in touch to sort it out. I've heard nothing since. It is now ten weeks since installation and I still have dumb meters...

Hi @Spike
Sorry to hear this. It is still a pilot but I do appreciate that you're frustrated by the experience so far.
I've flagged this with our Member services team to look into.
I'ved replied to your DM too. 🆙
leedelph;31867:
Hi Marc, I don't know if Jamil tried starting my IHD but the Gas usage is now displaying. Looking at comments on other company's Smart Meter feedback your all having this problem, so I will wait to see if an answer is found before I bother about the Electric reading. thanks John.

Hi @leedelph
That's encouraging news! Thanks for the update.
Also, FYI I've just posted over here about the IHD issue being reported by some Members. It's got some useful troubleshooting tips, and also how to let us know if it still doesn't sort it.
Spike;33584:
Thought I'd offer a bit of an update. So the Magnum utilities engineer came out on 4th July to sort the issues which were apparent during first installation back in April. He changed the Hub on the electricity meter initially, then replaced the gas meter completely as it still wasn't communicating properly. He then commissioned the IHD, but although his back office team could see the meters, there was an issue at the PP end of things. On that particular day, he said a number of engineers were all reporting issues with PP. The only change is that the gas meter will now show current billing, whereas the old one was always on £0.00.

I got in touch with the PP team the following week to see if they could reset the IHD. Messaged reply to say they'd look into it. I followed up a few days later and was asked to be patient and they'd let me know..

It's now over a fortnight since the meters were replaced and recommissioned, but I still don't have a working IHD. Its pretty frustrating that when an issues is raised with the team via WattBot, that they close the session once they've replied, rather than leaving it open as an ongoing, unsolved issue. From the user's end, it feels like they've made a response, but we can't be sure any action is being taken.

Our SMETS2 meters were originally installed beginning of April, but we still don't have them functioning and most of the time there's a deafening silence.. Anything we can do get it sorted @Marc please?

The IHD just shows waiting for data. I've sent in pics of the error message codes it shows via the menus. It has been set up 30cm from the electricity meter so signal is not a problem..

Hi @Spike
I'm flagging this up with our smart meter team.
Have you seen this post about IHD issues?
Spike;33802:
Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?

Hi @Spike
Yep, that's the post I linked to in my earlier reply.
It explains the issue, and that not everyone is affected, and not just those in the 'North' (but mostly).
Jowl;35004:
It does help but you are correct, I can't see any transaction history. I'm not seeing any energy costs at all.

Thanks @Jowl
Mystery solved. It's the same bug as affecting other Members (the bug that meant you weren't getting monthly statements), fixed by the release last week.
You'll start getting statements as normal, and the energy costs will also appear in your app again.
Sorry for the hassle and thanks for being patient.:foldedhands:
Also - you'll get a consolidated bill for those months on your next bill date.
Jowl;35008:
Brilliant, thanks @Marc. Glad it will be updated soon (typically I'll be away but will submit meter readings in advance!)

What do you mean by consolodated bill? That it will just show all transactions?!

A bill which consolidates several months together. We've got a handy FAQ here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
The second (or is it the third?) industrial revolution has been postponed in the North, it's time to go back to your cardboard box...(and don't forget to doff your cap on the way)

​Telecoms feedback
At Arqiva we welcome all feedback and would be happy to hear from you.
E: telecoms.feedback@arqiva.com

Spike;33802:
Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Mrs or Mr or Ms or non-gender Bojangles
I have to ask why would he want pictures of your hob? Were you cooking at the time? (you're going to tell me it was a typo aren't you...)
and did you mention cake?
I think it'll be easier to read the actual meter itself not the IHD, according to the trio manual the readings are available under settings, meters, but then I don't have one to check.
Lemon drizzle please if you're offering!
Bojangles;35096:
I had my install a just over a week ago. Engineer called ahead to confirm arrival time which was within the pre-arranged time. When he arrived he'd mentioned that he'd had similar problems with getting things to communicate. He took a few pictures of my hob running and got to work. Install took about an hour and a half with no real issue as far as I could tell.

IHD is working fine. I understand it's a trial and I would still have to submit readings but I was expecting to be able to see the meter reading on the IHD, but I can only see usage in kWh or £?

Nonetheless, I'm pleased with how this all went and happy to have been given this for no extra charge. Looking forward to the "going live" day. Will there be cake?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I feel your pain, since my smart meters were installed in May, I have not received a statement, and only electric showing on the usage ( meter readings ) page, and the usage graph stopped at April. The team has assured me that they are receiving the readings, but are waiting for some details about the new gas meter, meanwhile my balance looks very healthy.

Jowl;34788:
I'm really struggling to understand where I am post (mid?) Smart meter upgrade.

At the moment i only have the Electric Smart meter - nobody has been back or contacted me for the Gas part and it's been months.

I'm also not getting any usage statements though and the app is only showing my payments, not any useage. I have no idea whether I'm in credit or not. I have raised a message to the team through Wattbot so hopefully they'll be back to me soon.

The Smart meter (part) install is actually making things more difficult than solving any problems at the moment :(
Marc;31620:
Hi @leedelph
Are they both showing yet?
Something that often works is switcing the IHD off and on again (that old IT trick!)

I tried that, but now both are showing Waiting for data. The signal strength shows four bars so I guess the first thing to try is the Trio 2 IHD but I don’t know how to arrange it.
Hi Marc, I don't know if Jamil tried starting my IHD but the Gas usage is now displaying. Looking at comments on other company's Smart Meter feedback your all having this problem, so I will wait to see if an answer is found before I bother about the Electric reading. thanks John.
At the time the project was conceived there were a lot of energy saving opportunities - 90% savings with LED lighting, new standby regulations on TVs etc, ever reducing consumption on fridges & freezers - and IHDs could have helped consumers see the reductions as they upgraded. But it's taken so long to get smart meters rolled out that all those savings opportunities have already been taken and there are only slim pickings remaining.

So the message is 10 years out of date, but nobody in government had the brains to see that and the industry is too lazy to come up with a new message and is happy to treat us all as if we have an IQ of zilch anyway.
Badge +2

Marc;31292:
I again @Spike
There's been some misunderstanding somewhere. Magnum believe you instructed them not to contact you until after 28 June due to going on holiday?

They really are poor on the comms. I was working away last week, so told them not to arrange anything for week of 3rd June. This was repeated back and confirmed. No mention of 28th anywhere. There are some real problems here they need to address. Once you roll this out wider, given the experience of myself and others here, it’s clear they don’t have the systems to cope.