Solved

Installation feedback

My meter was due to be installed today. I have just had a call from Magnum to say they cannot guarantee someone will come due to an engineer calling in sick. I've therefore cancelled the installation as I'm not prepared to wait in all day for someone who may not arrive.
Up until today the communication was good with Magnum. Shame they've failed on the most important part.

- - - Updated - - -

Just been called back and they are coming just after lunch. Hopefully all will go well.
icon

Best answer by Nataly 1 May 2019, 13:46

Hey @Bjamp

Thanks for the feedback - I've passed this on to our Smart team.

Great to hear they got back in touch with you quickly and have confirmed the installation.

Let us know how it all goes 🆙
View original

80 replies

At the time the project was conceived there were a lot of energy saving opportunities - 90% savings with LED lighting, new standby regulations on TVs etc, ever reducing consumption on fridges & freezers - and IHDs could have helped consumers see the reductions as they upgraded. But it's taken so long to get smart meters rolled out that all those savings opportunities have already been taken and there are only slim pickings remaining.

So the message is 10 years out of date, but nobody in government had the brains to see that and the industry is too lazy to come up with a new message and is happy to treat us all as if we have an IQ of zilch anyway.
Spike;33584:
Thought I'd offer a bit of an update. So the Magnum utilities engineer came out on 4th July to sort the issues which were apparent during first installation back in April. He changed the Hub on the electricity meter initially, then replaced the gas meter completely as it still wasn't communicating properly. He then commissioned the IHD, but although his back office team could see the meters, there was an issue at the PP end of things. On that particular day, he said a number of engineers were all reporting issues with PP. The only change is that the gas meter will now show current billing, whereas the old one was always on £0.00.

I got in touch with the PP team the following week to see if they could reset the IHD. Messaged reply to say they'd look into it. I followed up a few days later and was asked to be patient and they'd let me know..

It's now over a fortnight since the meters were replaced and recommissioned, but I still don't have a working IHD. Its pretty frustrating that when an issues is raised with the team via WattBot, that they close the session once they've replied, rather than leaving it open as an ongoing, unsolved issue. From the user's end, it feels like they've made a response, but we can't be sure any action is being taken.

Our SMETS2 meters were originally installed beginning of April, but we still don't have them functioning and most of the time there's a deafening silence.. Anything we can do get it sorted @Marc please?

The IHD just shows waiting for data. I've sent in pics of the error message codes it shows via the menus. It has been set up 30cm from the electricity meter so signal is not a problem..

Hi @Spike
I'm flagging this up with our smart meter team.
Have you seen this post about IHD issues?
talldave;33696:
As someone who was nearly involved in IHD design in the early days of the smart metering dream

That's interesting to hear @talldave
What was your role? I'd love to know more - in general terms, if you're allowed to talk about it!
Worked for a big consumer electronics manufacturer that was also active in the ZigBee area and were asked by a big 6 supplier to design/quote for what we now know as an IHD. As I remember, the cost of the sexy colour display made it too expensive to get off the drawing board!

It was around that time that I went to a smart metering conference and really became aware of just how ignorant the incumbent suppliers at the time were on how the market could evolve. Their view was that energy would always cost the same price regardless of who sold it and the time of day it was used! It's no surprise to me that a decade on, we are where we are - or aren't!
KevinandSylvie;33646:
Brilliant! (Not!!!)

The number pure planet provide in their text for Magnum Utilities is invalid text says it is 01164 783783 anyone know what the correct number is as BT say this number “is not recognised”

Hi @KevinandSylvie
It's 01164 783 574
Where did you see that wrong number please? Was it in the SMS text message we sent you?
Thanks @Marc. Yes I saw the post about IHD issues already. I think this problem is back-office system related tbh.
Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
The second (or is it the third?) industrial revolution has been postponed in the North, it's time to go back to your cardboard box...(and don't forget to doff your cap on the way)

​Telecoms feedback
At Arqiva we welcome all feedback and would be happy to hear from you.
E: telecoms.feedback@arqiva.com

Spike;33802:
Heard back from 'the team' this morning. Apparently, because I'm "from t'North", my IHD and everyone else up here on all other SMETS2 platforms have non-working IHDs and will do so until end of September at the earliest. I'd be interested to know if anyone on here is from 'The North' and has working SMETS2 smart meters and their home device does provide information?
Spike;33802:

Hi @Spike
Yep, that's the post I linked to in my earlier reply.
It explains the issue, and that not everyone is affected, and not just those in the 'North' (but mostly).
We have had a similar experience.

Electricity smart meter installed, Engineer failed to get gas meter to talk to servers and gave up after four hours and again said this was not uncommon. IHD not working though engineer and Pure said it should be. Engineer said someone would be in touch but no one contacted us.

Contacted Pure via wat to and they raised it as a complaint and arranged a visit by the engineer for this Friday to install the gas meter and fix the IHD.

Received a second email from Pure stating it was unlikely engineer would be able to get Gas meter or IHD to work as there are known problems which won’t be fixed till September at the earliest and unlikely to be available till the end of the year.

So now we have one person at Pure saying it will be fixed on Friday, Magnum confirming a visit and another saying no Vance of it working.

Had emails from three different people within Pure and it doesn’t appear that the left hand knows what the right is doing.

Latest email was asking if we were happy as they hadn’t heard from us, despite the numerous emails back and forth.

Pure really need a telephone support service to resolve issues like this.

Awaiting a response from Pure to see if Engineer revisit is actually taking place this Friday.

My advice to anyone thinking of installing a new meter is don’t. There are lots of issues not resolved and breakdowns in communication between Magnum and Pure which could leave you in no mans land as we are,
Hey @KevinandSylvie

Sounds like there's been some confusion between contact with Magnum v. contact with Pure Planet - thanks for letting us know about this, it'll help us make the communications clearer in future 🆙

I checked with our Member Services team, and they've let me know you've booked the new gas installation in directly with Magnum, for Friday.

If there were connectivity issues it may be worth reading this thread for a bit more info on what's going on, including with smart network connection issues.
Badge +2
I'm really struggling to understand where I am post (mid?) Smart meter upgrade.

At the moment i only have the Electric Smart meter - nobody has been back or contacted me for the Gas part and it's been months.

I'm also not getting any usage statements though and the app is only showing my payments, not any useage. I have no idea whether I'm in credit or not. I have raised a message to the team through Wattbot so hopefully they'll be back to me soon.

The Smart meter (part) install is actually making things more difficult than solving any problems at the moment 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
I feel your pain, since my smart meters were installed in May, I have not received a statement, and only electric showing on the usage ( meter readings ) page, and the usage graph stopped at April. The team has assured me that they are receiving the readings, but are waiting for some details about the new gas meter, meanwhile my balance looks very healthy.

Jowl;34788:
I'm really struggling to understand where I am post (mid?) Smart meter upgrade.

At the moment i only have the Electric Smart meter - nobody has been back or contacted me for the Gas part and it's been months.

I'm also not getting any usage statements though and the app is only showing my payments, not any useage. I have no idea whether I'm in credit or not. I have raised a message to the team through Wattbot so hopefully they'll be back to me soon.

The Smart meter (part) install is actually making things more difficult than solving any problems at the moment :(
Duppy;34802:
I feel your pain, since my smart meters were installed in May, I have not received a statement, and only electric showing on the usage ( meter readings ) page, and the usage graph stopped at April. The team has assured me that they are receiving the readings, but are waiting for some details about the new gas meter, meanwhile my balance looks very healthy.

Hi @Jowl @Duppy
There's a small release planned for first thing tomorrow which has a fix for the lack of monthly statements issue 🆙
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Marc;34805:
Hi @Jowl @Duppy
There's a small release planned for first thing tomorrow which has a fix for the lack of monthly statements issue 🆙

Hi Marc, unfortunately I don't think it will fix my issue until the team get the gas meter details issue fixed, even my gas closing reading which I sent in does not show
Duppy;34806:
Hi Marc, unfortunately I don't think it will fix my issue until the team get the gas meter details issue fixed, even my gas closing reading which I sent in does not show

You saw the update about gas readings not appearing in IHDs? I know the team are still working on this. They're waiting for national updates to the network 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Marc;34810:
You saw theupdate about gas readings not appearing in IHDs? I know the team are still working on this. They're waiting for national updates to the network :(

The IHD seems to be working fine, it is just the meter details that they are waiting on. Meanwhile I am not that bothered as I know my payments will cover the statement when it comes
Badge +2
Marc;34805:
Hi @Jowl @Duppy

is this just for monthly statements @Marc ?

Cos my usage is still only showing the DD amount on my account. There are no 'debits' for my actual use. I have no way of know my account balance and how accurate it is. And I suspect the DD will need increasing so don't want to fall behind.

I have to say it's very frustrating and I've not heard from the team either
Jowl;34998:
is this just for monthly statements @Marc ?

Cos my usage is still only showing the DD amount on my account. There are no 'debits' for my actual use. I have no way of know my account balance and how accurate it is. And I suspect the DD will need increasing so don't want to fall behind.

I have to say it's very frustrating and I've not heard from the team either

Hey @Jowl
Yes the release this week fixed the issue of monthly statements.
We're still asking Members with smart meters to send regular meter readings, and these will appear in your app (and on monthly statement) as actual meter readings. These can be seen in Usage > Reading history
So as long as you're sending readings you'll be on track.
Does that answer your question? Or ar you looking at transaction history? Are you not seeing the energy costs?
Badge +2
Marc;35000:
Hey @Jowl
Yes the release this week fixed the issue of monthly statements.
We're still asking Members with smart meters to send regular meter readings, and these will appear in your app (and on monthly statement) as actual meter readings. These can be seen in Usage > Reading history
So as long as you're sending readings you'll be on track.
Does that answer your question? Or ar you looking at transaction history? Are you not seeing the energy costs?

It does help but you are correct, I can't see any transaction history. I'm not seeing any energy costs at all.
Jowl;35004:
It does help but you are correct, I can't see any transaction history. I'm not seeing any energy costs at all.

Thanks @Jowl
Mystery solved. It's the same bug as affecting other Members (the bug that meant you weren't getting monthly statements), fixed by the release last week.
You'll start getting statements as normal, and the energy costs will also appear in your app again.
Sorry for the hassle and thanks for being patient.:foldedhands:
Also - you'll get a consolidated bill for those months on your next bill date.
Badge +2
Marc;35006:
Thanks @Jowl
Mystery solved. It's the same bug as affecting other Members (the bug that meant you weren't getting monthly statements), fixed by the release last week.
You'll start getting statements as normal, and the energy costs will also appear in your app again.
Sorry for the hassle and thanks for being patient.:foldedhands:
Also - you'll get a consolidated bill for those months on your next bill date.

Brilliant, thanks @Marc. Glad it will be updated soon (typically I'll be away but will submit meter readings in advance!)

What do you mean by consolodated bill? That it will just show all transactions?!
Jowl;35008:
Brilliant, thanks @Marc. Glad it will be updated soon (typically I'll be away but will submit meter readings in advance!)

What do you mean by consolodated bill? That it will just show all transactions?!

A bill which consolidates several months together. We've got a handy FAQ here.
I had my install a just over a week ago. Engineer called ahead to confirm arrival time which was within the pre-arranged time. When he arrived he'd mentioned that he'd had similar problems with getting things to communicate. He took a few pictures of my hob running and got to work. Install took about an hour and a half with no real issue as far as I could tell.

IHD is working fine. I understand it's a trial and I would still have to submit readings but I was expecting to be able to see the meter reading on the IHD, but I can only see usage in kWh or £?

Nonetheless, I'm pleased with how this all went and happy to have been given this for no extra charge. Looking forward to the "going live" day. Will there be cake?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Bojangles,
You can see the meter readings on the IHD, if you press home button, scroll down to meters, you have a choice of electric or gas, select the one you want and you will see the readings plus meter number etc,