Solved

Increased costs since smart meter install

my bills seem to have increased since having smart meter fitted. The smart meter goes off occasionally then I reset and then starts working again. my usage has not changed considerably but monthly cost about 15% higher. any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Duppy 5 May 2021, 12:24

@Scaramanga1972 

You also need to compare unit costs as well as usage, it is also dependant on which tariff you are on and if you have recently changed tarrif

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Scaramanga1972 

Welcome to the community - you’re talking mainly to other PP customers here but there are some PP staff members lurking.

We’ll need some additional information to really get down to your problem.

When you say the smart meter goes off occasionally do you mean the in home display unit? The meters will be outside on a wall or in a cabinet but the IHD is portable showing you usage in realtime. This is just getting information from the meters rather than being the meter itself.

Are you going solely off what the IHD says or have you noticed a change in your statements?

Hi there. It’s the IHD that goes off sporadically mainly saying no data for the gas. Turn off and on and kicks back in usually.

my increase I’ve spotted from my statements.

hope this helps

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Scaramanga1972 

You also need to compare unit costs as well as usage, it is also dependant on which tariff you are on and if you have recently changed tarrif

Not changed tariff

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

my bills seem to have increased since having smart meter fitted. The smart meter goes off occasionally then I reset and then starts working again. my usage has not changed considerably but monthly cost about 15% higher. any ideas?

@Scaramanga1972 

Gas or electric or both?

Do you have real readings taken on a particular day or days?

If so can you subtract one from the other and divide by the number of days ( example if April 1st was reading one and 30th was reading 2 that would count as 29 days, as long as you’re consistent it won’t matter too much). Work out your daily average, that’s the only fair way to compare (because for example March has 10% more days than Feb) 

Userlevel 6
Badge

I can't see why your bills would go up as meter exchanges wouldn't do this unless their is something wrong with the meters, I would use wattbot to get in touch with the team on the app to see if anything has changed at pure planets side.

Regards

If you’ve been a customer for more than 12 months, you can compare your daily average consumption on page one of your statement where it says ‘How much energy did you use this time?’
See below: