Solved

IHD not powering up

• 21 September 2020
  • 11 replies

Hi,

Has anyone else got a problem with their smart meter not powering up. I've tried different power cables and batteries.

If I need a new one, anyone know how I go about this??

Thanks

icon

Best answer by woz 21 September 2020, 19:34

hu @Matty1985 was it supplied by pure planet?

Does it have an off switch on the side or rear(some do)?

Presumably one end of the power cable goes into a usb 5V socket, I presume you’ve tried another supply?

Ask through wattbot (help and support>ask a question), type message the team and ask until it says your question is passed to the team.Replies not instant.

(it’s not your smart meter it’s your in-home-display (ihd) for your smart meter)

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hu @Matty1985 was it supplied by pure planet?

Does it have an off switch on the side or rear(some do)?

Presumably one end of the power cable goes into a usb 5V socket, I presume you’ve tried another supply?

Ask through wattbot (help and support>ask a question), type message the team and ask until it says your question is passed to the team.Replies not instant.

(it’s not your smart meter it’s your in-home-display (ihd) for your smart meter)

Hi Woz,

Yes I've asked through wattbott and awaiting an email reply. Yes its the IHD and I've tried batteries and 2 other cables. 

wattbot will steer the team to replying and helping you out...  Sounds faulty. Maybe leave it disconnected with no batteries for an hour or two, then try again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@Matty1985 

was the ihd supplied by PP?

Yes it was supplied by PP. Found what the issue was. The charger point has been bent. This has been straightened out and the batteries wouldn't work as one of the springs wasn't connected. Soldering iron done the trick and back working now.

I love a nice solder…

Anyone spot the problem with my telly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@25 quid It needs a new owner?

Make sure you replace it with a high temp electrolytic. (the cap not the TV, although looking at whats on these days watching a capacitor is probably more interesting)

This was 5 years ago and yes, @woz, I generously derated the cap. Amusingly (geek humour alert) I walked into Maplins and asked for a 1000µF 16V axial cap and the guy at the desk said, “Sure, it that for a Samsung TV?”

Seems I wasn’t the first to fix their expensive plasma with a 40p DIY cap swap. The TV has since occasionally shown more interesting content than it might otherwise had. 

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle — plus Repair for a tree hugging eco-world.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@25 quid 

you used an axial?

Haha, oops, I mis-spoke. Radial. Nevertheless, the story remains hilarious.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Think you had to be there 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

JK JK JK JK JK our 25 notes 🤭😉