Solved

How often are smart meter readings sent?

That’s it really, as per the description I’d like to know how often smart meter readings are sent.  With a previous supplier, OVO, they were sent every half an hour,  but I cannot find anything on PP which says how often they are, or should be, sent.

This is for a SMETS1 meter that has recently been added tonetwork.

icon

Best answer by Duppy 8 May 2021, 23:44

@richm 

As part of the Smart Meters Futures trial, participants have half hourly readings taken, but, we had to give permission for the half hourly readings to be taken,  normally it's just once a month at statement time 

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@richm great question, I don’t know the answer. (sorry).

I had assumed it was a DCC parameter but apparently not so.

Just to set the proverbial cat among the pigeons have a read of THIS although it won’t help with your question it surprised me as I didn’t think it could be a user choice, however according to this it can be. I wonder if PP will allow any user choice?

I found that info circuitously

PP take a single smart meter reading on your billing day. I can't remember the exact time but it is very early in the morning on that day. I have seen a few other smart readings appear in my usage in the app, but that seems to be when PP are makiing sure the meter is comunicating properly.

Once the EV tariff arrives then the meter will take more frequent readings to allow that to be accurately billed. I also suspect that future app improvements to monitor energy usage will require 15 or 30 minute readings.

@woz  Thanks for the reply,  yes when I was searching for ths I found something similar for EDF.  So it sseems that it is possible to allow cutomers to configure their own reading interval. Hopefully PP will get there at ome point.

@Mark Pocock  Thanks for answering, that is pretty much what I was expecting given that I have only had one smart reading so far and there is nothing anywhere to indicate more frequent readings are possible.

This is the official legal explanation from OFGEM.

“Your smart meter will store data about your energy use every 30 minutes. You have a choice about how this data is used, apart from where is it is needed to bill you and for other regulated purposes. 

Your energy supplier and the energy network companies that run the pipes and wires that deliver energy to your home, can access data to ensure accurate billing and carry out other essential tasks. 

Suppliers can access your daily data unless you object, but have to get your permission to access half-hourly data, or to use your data for marketing purposes. If you give permission, suppliers and third parties can use your data to offer you new products and services. For example, they may give you access to your energy consumption data online or through an app, give you advice on the best tariff for you, or offer a smart tariff that charges different amounts at different times.

You will be able to see your real-time and historical energy use data on your in-home display. You will also be able to share data with third parties such as switching sites if you choose to.”

So to answer you question:
How often are smart meter readings sent?

​​​​​​​
The Data Communication Company receives the data every 30 minutes.

However, Pure Planet, or anyone else for that matter, can only access that data daily, unless you are asked for, and give your express permission.

Currently, with only a single daily rate I can’t see any reason why Pure Planet would need it more than once a month on statement day, but that may change in time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@richm 

As part of the Smart Meters Futures trial, participants have half hourly readings taken, but, we had to give permission for the half hourly readings to be taken,  normally it's just once a month at statement time 

@Duppy can you explain why PP might be using Smart Meter readings from the day before my billing date and then adding estimated readings to the bill, one day later. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Tub3hound 

Not really, my smart readings are taken sometimes before and  on the statement date. I don't know how the billing system works,  is it the same on every statement?

It could be something to do with the migration of the SMETS1 meters, but as I say, I don't really know

My bill date is the 5th of the month. My electricity smart meter was installed in January 2020. On the 5th February 2020 a smart meter reading was taken. I did not though get a statement.  From then until May 2020 no smart meter readings were taken. I was submitting all readings manually. Then on the 12th May 2020 one is recorded. Note not my due date of the 5th May. From then the record shows smart readings (electricity) on the 5th of each month as expected. Except July 2020 when I went to a fixed tariff and estimated readings were used.

Gas is different. The gas smart meter was installed over a year later in March 2021. For some reason a reading on the 4th of the month of April 2021 was taken followed by an estimated gas reading on the 5th of April. This month two smart readings were taken, one on the 4th and the other on the 5th. God knows why. Possibly somebody programmed the system incorrectly.

The point of my reply other than inducing a high level of boredom? It has some interest in knowing when the reading is taken but it is not crucial, it levels out in the end. In my case probably more estimated readings in July when my contract ends. That is the 14th July.

The system does work and despite complaints sometimes read about monthly payments not being the same throughout a year, and beliefs that a statement is a bill, PP do make it clear what happens when you sign up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Duppy can you explain why PP might be using Smart Meter readings from the day before my billing date and then adding estimated readings to the bill, one day later. 

@Duppy @Tub3hound 

Question: were all the days concerned working days not weekends or bank hols?

@woz in my case working days.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@woz 

Certainly in my case, smart readings were obtained ( and used ) on the statement date, weekdays, weekend and even New Year's Day, ( 1st ).

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

thanks @Duppy @G4RHL 

...rules out that theory then