Solved

How many customers have pure planet got?

• 14 October 2020
  • 13 replies

The roll out of smart meters has reached 6,500 customers according to your latest figure issue update. How many customers do Pure Planet have so that I can try to work out how long we will have to wait till we can get one?

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 15 October 2020, 11:44

The roll out of smart meters has reached 6,500 customers according to your latest figure issue update. How many customers do Pure Planet have so that I can try to work out how long we will have to wait till we can get one?

I’m not sure it’s possible to get anything other than a very ‘rough guess’ there are probably way too many variables.

Let’s say Pure Planet have approximately 100,000  customers - so that would leave 93,500 to go.

Then you have approximately 50,000 customers, who already have Smart Meters - so that leaves 43,500 to go.

Then you would also need to know:
How many meters are fitted per day? (Installation, judging by mine, and comments here, takes 2-3 hours if there are no issues).

How many days per week Magnum are working (my meter was installed on a Saturday, but not by Magnum).

Which areas they are being installed in, and where your area is in that order?

How many customers are in the areas prior to yours, because I would assume there isn’t an even number per area?

Roughly how many customers are going to refuse a meter?

Roughly how many customers are currently ‘ineligible’ for various reasons (elderly, infirm, signal issues, usage issues etc.)

How many of the customers are in the areas before yours?

Do you make an allowance for customers leaving or joining?

Perhaps Pure Planet are willing to share some of this information, perhaps some of it is ‘commercially sensitive.’

The whole ‘Smart meter’ thing would have probably gone a lot easier if the national bodies involved (is it just the DCC?) had arranged installation themselves grouped by street, village, town etc. - but I guess that’s the way these things go - joined up thinking has never been a ‘Civil Service’ strongpoint, particularly when it comes to using ‘technology’ NHS NPfIT being one example.

Personally, I’m not convinced that the ‘energy saved’ by ‘smart meters’ is going to compensate for the energy wasted replacing all the ‘dumb’ meters, there must be an awful lot of otherwise unnecessary journeys for installations, never mind making all these meters, sending units, and In Home Displays.

View original

13 replies

Hi @Glynnmay,

Not sure your logic will work. I for one, won’t be having a smart meter. I seem to recall 30,000+ customers, but not sure where I got that figure from.

Thank you for your reply. So, if 30K is correct i shall be waiting an extremely long time and thats not very good

Regards

You’re welcome. As I say, I’m not sure you can follow that logic… 

Others might have more experience they will share. You’re probably read the Smart Meter FAQ, which disappointingly doesn’t mention lead time.

Tangentially, @Nataly, it does mention you can use the IHD for readings of your meter. I believe that is not true. If so, perhaps an edit might help people to not send in kWh readings in place of meter readings.

Hey @Glynnmay and welcome to the Community :relaxed:

Just under half of our members have smart meters already - the bulk of which are first generation (SMETS1) meters, which we’ve ‘inherited’ when those Members switched from other suppliers. Those meters won’t be replaced with SMETS2 installations, since they’re due to be connected to the SMETS2 network throughout 2020. 

There are also some members who choose to opt out of having a smart meter installed, or who have setups which aren’t currently eligible with SMETS2 meters. 

Since we’re currently focusing region by region, we’ll be in touch when there are engineers available in your area :thumbsup:

Tangentially, @Nataly, it does mention you can use the IHD for readings of your meter. I believe that is not true. If so, perhaps an edit might help people to not send in kWh readings in place of meter readings.

@25 quid 

I’ve removed ‘and readings’ from that FAQ :thumbsup:

Often the issue with M3 readings and kWh readings crops up with SMETS1 meters - ​the majority of our SMETS2 installations are successful and mean Members don’t need to send readings at all, which is positive! ​:smiley:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Glynnmay,

Not sure your logic will work. I for one, won’t be having a smart meter. I seem to recall 30,000+ customers, but not sure where I got that figure from.

Don't want to worry @Glynnmay any more, but in September @Marc announced that there were now 40,000 community members - and loads of customers don't use the community. In May last year Reuters said PP had over 100,000 customers. But in case it helps, I'm not planning on getting a smart meter just yet either…

Stephen

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have one, for electric only, I never look at it. I don’t think they are that valuable or useful an asset to want one. A better approach would be to know what each appliance is using over a period of time. A subject I have raised elsewhere. For the moment I see smart meters more of an advantage to those who, through age or other infirmity, are not able to read their meters.

For the moment I see smart meters more of an advantage to those who, through age or other infirmity, are not able to read their meters.

Yet, they are the people who are probably furthest down the queue, as they are considered (probably wisely so) the least likely to be able to deal with the issues concerned with an installation that goes wrong.

My beloved would not have been able to deal with the issues we faced for 8 months after Solarplicity (R.I.P) installed our SMETS1 meter.

Landis & Gyr are as much help as a chocolate teapot if you ever have an query regarding one of their ‘(not very) Smart’ meters, refusing point blank to even supply a downloadable copy of the handbook, or meter reading instructions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The developers of a lot of our gadgetry never stop to think about the end user and capability. We are building up an ever increasing volume of technology ignorant widows and widowers who will need support when a partner, who does it all, goes. I am about to go out to visit a person with advanced dementia. His ability to use the gadgets we have is very limited. Trying to get he and his wife to consider a device that enables them to hear the TV without it blasting through the walls of the next door property, is a challenge.

I’m not sure it’s possible to get anything other than a very ‘rough guess’ there are probably way too many variables.

Let’s say Pure Planet have approximately 100,000  customers - so that would leave 93,500 to go.

Then you have approximately 50,000 customers, who already have Smart Meters - so that leaves 43,500 to go.

Then you would also need to know:
How many meters are fitted per day? (Installation, judging by mine, and comments here, takes 2-3 hours if there are no issues).

How many days per week Magnum are working (my meter was installed on a Saturday, but not by Magnum).

Which areas they are being installed in, and where your area is in that order?

How many customers are in the areas prior to yours, because I would assume there isn’t an even number per area?

Roughly how many customers are going to refuse a meter?

Roughly how many customers are currently ‘ineligible’ for various reasons (elderly, infirm, signal issues, usage issues etc.)

How many of the customers are in the areas before yours?

Do you make an allowance for customers leaving or joining?

Perhaps Pure Planet are willing to share some of this information, perhaps some of it is ‘commercially sensitive.’

The whole ‘Smart meter’ thing would have probably gone a lot easier if the national bodies involved (is it just the DCC?) had arranged installation themselves grouped by street, village, town etc. - but I guess that’s the way these things go - joined up thinking has never been a ‘Civil Service’ strongpoint, particularly when it comes to using ‘technology’ NHS NPfIT being one example.

Personally, I’m not convinced that the ‘energy saved’ by ‘smart meters’ is going to compensate for the energy wasted replacing all the ‘dumb’ meters, there must be an awful lot of otherwise unnecessary journeys for installations, never mind making all these meters, sending units, and In Home Displays.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

You missed of your list of variables:

How many customers where the engineer calls to install and lacks the skill to do the job?! Yes, it happens.

I have one, for electric only, I never look at it. I don’t think they are that valuable or useful an asset to want one. A better approach would be to know what each appliance is using over a period of time. A subject I have raised elsewhere. For the moment I see smart meters more of an advantage to those who, through age or other infirmity, are not able to read their meters.

Smart meters are essential for time of use tariffs. Pure Planet are expected to release one of those aimed at EV drivers.

Smart meters are essential for time of use tariffs. Pure Planet are expected to release one of those aimed at EV drivers.

Yep you’re prob right @Ohit  it’ll be EV drivers among the first. As they’re high users.

Time of use also means when energy mix is best for renewables. So someone could, for example, choose to wash their clothes when the % of solar is highest.