Solved

Home unit won't connect to the smart meter

Userlevel 2

My smart meter is in the hall. My flat is three floors away in a large, solid, brick built building. The home display unit won’t connect to it, which makes it a bit useless for monitoring consumption. Any ideas what to do?

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 26 July 2021, 20:15

Move house! 😂

Sorry! Couldn’t resist it @Boots!

Seriously, I think you’re going to struggle. People have issues who are much less separated from their meter. You can ask PP — In the via the app tap Help then Ask a Question. Now tell the Wattbot machine you have an IHD problem. It will try to help, but if it stops making sense, type Message the team to get the attention of a real human.

They should reply in a few days. Good luck!

View original

25 replies

Move house! 😂

Sorry! Couldn’t resist it @Boots!

Seriously, I think you’re going to struggle. People have issues who are much less separated from their meter. You can ask PP — In the via the app tap Help then Ask a Question. Now tell the Wattbot machine you have an IHD problem. It will try to help, but if it stops making sense, type Message the team to get the attention of a real human.

They should reply in a few days. Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi,

Have you tried it in different places within your flat?sometimes a change of scenery for little IHD helps.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @25 quid. Move back to where I was? I’ve only just got myself settled in here. But yes, you’re right. I’ll book the removers and start packing and see if the landlord will let me rent the old place. It’ll be easier that way.

Yep @Angelabikerbabe. I’ve stood on chairs, dangled it out of the window and stuck it on the ceiling. No use. Did I imagine something about being able to connect it to the cloud via your own wifi if you stick some extra bit on it? Who knows. Maybe you do?

I’d like to be able to say all this is fun, but it isn’t. It’s a total pain in the [insert word which the moderators probably won’t allow here].

Thanks for taking the time to write.

Userlevel 2

PS @25 quid - “a real human”. Ah. Those were the days. Why don’t any of those automated calls have a “Dial 8” option? “Dial 8 if you need to book an anger management course after being told “your call is important to us” every 30 seconds for 45 minutes”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I can see you fitting in well here, Boots 👍🤣🤣🤣🤣👏

Userlevel 2
I’ve found the solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Boots 

Take it outside and film it  while you’re doing it please.

(eye protection required)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Boots

I'm afraid it's unlikely that the IHD will connect from 3 floors away. The maximum distance between the meters and IHD's is approx 30 m but that reduces the more obstacles in the way.

There was supposed to be work ongoing to make the information available in the app, and so remove the need for IHD's, but it's gone very quiet on that front, maybe @Marc , @Nataly   or @Mads  can give us an update?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Boots Sorry we're unable to be of help, just sometimes some buildings are not kind You IHDs.

(The hammer is a good idea tho)

I know its no consolation but the novelty of it wears of and it ends up in a drawer for alot of people, me included.

Loving your sense of humour tho.👍

@Boots It sure ain’t a big issue. You don’t need it really, like a chocolate fire guard. Hey we had that one elsewhere in the forum. Use that hammer or put it away in the cupboard. I cannot see you getting a decent signal though with that distance. You could of course mount it near the meter, stick a wireless camera in front of it (wireless from your router may get through) and monitor it on your tablet! 

No, stick it in the cupboard!

There was supposed to be work ongoing to make the information available in the app, and so remove the need for IHD's, but it's gone very quiet on that front

Hi @Duppy Work is progressing, but we will also need to get consent from Members for half hourly readings. So I believe that this may start happening from the autumn.

If you give consent then yes you’ll be able to see half-hourly readings in the app. Althoughly, oddly, I believe that it still only updates once a day. So you’ll see breakdown of half hourly readings but for previous days, not today. If that makes sense. Something to do with the way that the smart meters network was built, with security and ‘elasticity’ of bandwidth in mind. GCHQ was involved, seriously!

Userlevel 2

Hi @Marc. It rather defeats the point of the whole exercise and the Pure Planet commitment to assisting customers reduce bills and contribute to reduction in carbon emissions. The IHD is designed to enable you to monitor and understand consumption real-time so you can take steps to reduce/review your usage immediately. If I find out about it half an hour later or the next day, that’s of much more limited use to me. In which case, you need to find a way to boost the signal from the meter to the IHD. Surely you have a large number of customers who live in multi-occupancy buildings where the meters are at a distance from their flat? Did you not think of this when designing the system? It seems like a major oversight if you didn’t.

@Boots Pure Planet did not design the system. They have no control over that. Try the Government. Usefulness? Well you can see what happens when you put the kettle on or the tumbler drier but most of us surely know that anyway and it will not reduce the usage thereof. Far better would a device that knows it’s the kettle or dishwasher, logs a record of it including time, period and consumption. One day we may get that. Then I might plug mine in!

Userlevel 2

Good idea that. I’ll ask Alexa if she can help. I’m not sure that asking a condescending, pompous, out-of-touch, overpaid, evasive, lying, incompetent and ineffective bunch of self-satisfied idiots would be of much use. I’m assuming that’s what you mean by “try the government”.

Hi @Boots 

Yep, it might sound odd but it’s true! The smart meter network is controlled by an organisation called the Data Communications Company. They were appointed by, and answer to, Ofgem.

There is a way round this, via what’s called ‘Consumer Access Device’ (CAD) which plugs into the back of your IHD. And it gives you direct live energy usage - well, the elec is live, the gas is every 30mins. 

We ran a community pilot. It was generally well used and received. Trouble is, the CADs are not standard, are expensive! 

Sounds like you’re not a fan of the Government. But I suspect the rules may change so that the usage can become ‘live’ once there’s more demand, more reasons among the mainstream….

Good idea that. I’ll ask Alexa if she can help. I’m not sure that asking a condescending, pompous, out-of-touch, overpaid, evasive, lying, incompetent and ineffective bunch of self-satisfied idiots would be of much use. I’m assuming that’s what you mean by “try the government”.

Nice description of our inexperienced rulers! Prince Philip once asked a newly elected MP what she did before being elected and the reply was working in a political office. His response, “Oh, you have not yet had a proper job then?”

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Boots

As @G4RHL  said above, PP did not design or implement the smart meter infrastructure that was the government via Smart energy GB and the DCC who now operate the smart meter connectivity network.

This matter re connection with flats and solid stone buildings had been raised throughout the industry, and though some work had been done via extenders and aerials, reports of success have been sketchy

As a matter of interest, having seem @Marc's reply, I messaged my son who is with a competitor and has been able to view his usage online since joining them, he can Only see upto Sunday, so it's seems Marc's correct

Userlevel 2

Sometimes I think life is just a waste of my time …

It can be when we have nerdic tendencies! Is “nerdic” a word. It sounds like a good adjective to use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , the comments about the IHD, CADS and the WiFi module, while being correct, depends on the IHD connection to the meters. If the IHD is "waiting for data " or " not connected " the WiFi module won't have any data to transfer

Is the consumer unit in the flat or with the meter miles away?

If it’s in the flat, then adding a clip on monitoring gadget would work… No recommendation, but something like: https://www.amazon.co.uk/EMPORIA-ENERGY-Emporia-Electricity-Metering/dp/B07R11H2Q2/

Well @Boots sometimes I know the feeling. Hang in there! Remember it’s all the ‘grand show’ and nothing really matters. Or something like that.

Also, my dad had a dog called Shoes when he was a lad, because his second cousin had a dog called Boots. 

Not helpful probably! Anyway, wishing you a peaceful afternoon. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 2

Hi @25 quid - when you say “consumer unit” do you mean the thing with all the fuses in my flat? Anyway … no worries. I looked at the meter on Amazon.

Looks like it needs to be wired in: I once extended a ring main round a bedroom, but ever since I’ve been too scared to touch a wire which has anything to do with the mains. I’m even more scared of ringing an electrician in case s/he comes round and charges me £100 for the first hour and pretends to do something for three hours more at £60 an hour.

I’ve decided to give up on all of this and just turning everything off and sit in the dark doing nothing.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hey @Boots, yes that’s the fusey thing! These gadgets just clip onto the live or neutral wire through which you want to monitor the electric current flow. So if you can see an insulated live wire you just clip onto that.

Obviously doing it in the dark will make the job more fun!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hi @25 quid - when you say “consumer unit” do you mean the thing with all the fuses in my flat? Anyway … no worries. I looked at the meter on Amazon.

Looks like it needs to be wired in: I once extended a ring main round a bedroom, but ever since I’ve been too scared to touch a wire which has anything to do with the mains. I’m even more scared of ringing an electrician in case s/he comes round and charges me £100 for the first hour and pretends to do something for three hours more at £60 an hour.

I’ve decided to give up on all of this and just turning everything off and sit in the dark doing nothing.

Thanks for all the advice.

@Boots I applaud your fear of electricity,  the energy monitoring devices are designed to be fitted by anyone , but you do have to be mindful of the fact that you will need to be able to clip the sensor around the main feed wire to your meter. (If it’s that type of sensor).

Stupidity, arrogance and failure to check (all not necessarily yours) is the death sentence, electricity is just the executioner. 

Wear insulated shoes (most are) and work with one hand behind your back, and all will be OK...