Has anyone on Economy 7 had a smart meter installed?

• 18 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 8933 replies
Please could any PP customer who is on Economy 7 and who has had a smart meter installed by PP post a reply here please?
​Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
yep but in a lot of cases the only thing the 5th wire controls is whether the meter is at low or high rate (mine) and agreed that's what I'm thinking (basket)

for 3Ф, 3 single rate meters was good enough once upon a time.
​Given the excellence of engineering in the UK it never ceases to amaze me just how badly the government can screw up a major engineering project (and then try and blame everyone else).

Jon1;33540:
My understanding is that some storage heating systems worked from a 5th port on the meter and on new meters there is no 5th port, thus leaving customers without their storage heaters.
Having said that i think there is a degree of everyone being put in the same basket so when asked if you say you got storage heaters or possibly even E7 it is presumed a meter cant be replaced.

If you think thats bad im even further down the list as ive got a 3phase meter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
My understanding is that some storage heating systems worked from a 5th port on the meter and on new meters there is no 5th port, thus leaving customers without their storage heaters.
Having said that i think there is a degree of everyone being put in the same basket so when asked if you say you got storage heaters or possibly even E7 it is presumed a meter cant be replaced.

If you think thats bad im even further down the list as ive got a 3phase meter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi jon1
I don't understand why it's the 5th wire that's the issue, I think it depends on whether there is a circuit which only energises at low rate.
​ That's what I'm trying to establish. My E7 for example has a radio teleswitch which tells the meter when it's low rate (5th wire) but all my electrics are energised all the time. ​My understanding is the switching times are then done by the meter so the 5th wire isn't needed.
(as opposed to having a circuit which only energises when it's low rate, like storage heaters on a timer)

I'm trying to establish exactly what's going on here...

Jon1;33536:
Surly some E7 meters must of been changed. Other suppliers have E7 tariffs and customers with smet2 meters. As far as i can tell the issues only arise if a customer has or had storage heaters/under floor heating as the 5th wire from the meter that back in the day used to control them cannot be accommodated into smet2 meters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Surly some E7 meters must of been changed. Other suppliers have E7 tariffs and customers with smet2 meters. As far as i can tell the issues only arise if a customer has or had storage heaters/under floor heating as the 5th wire from the meter that back in the day used to control them cannot be accommodated into smet2 meters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
😂😂😂😂Yeah good shout Woz, by all means put it out there, but I truly don’t think there will be.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Just checking Bev...I thought there were.
I think I've developed a Smart Meter allergy, either that or I've been abducted by aliens...
Bev;33522:
There won’t be any Wozeeta. Not yet possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
There won’t be any Wozeeta. Not yet possible.