Solved

Geo II Connecting to smart meter Error

Hi,

My IHD has all of a sudden lost it’s connection to the smart meters and it’s been like that for 4 days now.

It hasn’t moved it’s location to where it had been installed (lives on a shelve practically above the Electric Meter and I have tried turning it off and on numerous times. This was installed by PP.

Contacted Wattbot and passed on my details 3 days ago and have heard nothing since.

Anyone from Pure Planet want to assist rather than leaving the issue to a hardly functioning bot?

I wait in anticipation...
icon

Best answer by Marc 15 June 2020, 18:50

Hi @schase and @JoseC

Sorry to hear that you're both still having smart meter / IHD issues. I can see from your posts that you're frustrated, please do keep messaging our Member services team as they are working hard to help you out.

I do need just clarify a couple of things from your posts.

If Pure Planet wants to get into the Smart Meter game, they should have learnt what to do when things go wrong, this is what Alpha/Beta testing/trials are for.

We did indeed carry out a smart meter pilot. We announced, in late 2018, that we would start our pilot in early 2019. Other suppliers had started in the summer of 2018 but we held off as long as we could because there were widespread reports of multiple issues. But, we are - like all suppliers - compelled to install them by the Government.

So we did decide to start slowly, installing just a handful of pilot members in Jan, Feb and March 2019.

We quickly discovered all kinds of issues, mostly affecting the connectivity between meters and the IHDs, and between meters and energy suppliers, and there were various hardware challenges too, plus of course plenty of 'learnings' around our communications, support, and so on.

The pilot, which started from this community and grew to a few hundred Pure Planet Members, was really helpful and we're grateful for all the feedback, and of course for everyone's patience!

We posted an end of year update in Dec 2019 which showed that, despite the industry-wide issues overall, our performance had improved. And we've never pretended that it's all been smooth sailing.
Here were the stats for year end:

In 2019 we installed 5,392 SMETS2 meters for our Members.

We successfully installed and commissioned 88% of SMETS2 meters in the North and 96% in the South/ Central areas (in the world of smart meters, the North is defined as anywhere from Liverpool/Manchester and above).

I've checked out our latest performance for the start of 2020 and we were at 92% successful installation/commission overall, until the whole thing was put on hold due to Covid-19. (An update on engineers returning to non-emergency meter work is coming in a couple of weeks 👍)

The 'North' issues are very frustrating. It's caused by connectivity issues with data operator Arqiva which is affecting all energy suppliers. The central and South are covered by O2 which seem to have fewer issues.

This BBC article explains the North issues a bit more.

We have also had some challenges with smart meter readings appearing in statements, but the team have been working through this. We're now getting 91% of smart meters we've installed sending us monthly readings which appear in statements. Again, that could always be better, of course.

Anyway, I this helps. It's not intended to dismiss your feedback. And I also realise it doesn't immediately fix the issues you're both experiencing.
It's just that I wanted to explain that we haven't just started installing thousands of smart meters without very careful planning, and making constant improvments throughout.
And, of course, we want all Members to have a good smart meter experience with us, regardless how long they've been with PP.

I guess we don't hear so much from those who've had an incident-free install and get smart readings in their statements. But that's OK too.

Happy, of course, to keep chatting here. I'm also flagging this up again with our Member services team to see if there's anything more they can send you to reassure you.
View original

15 replies

Update: it’s now been 8 days and still no help from Pure Planet, not even a reply.

Outstanding Customer Service.
I have an idea!

Bare with me, I know this may come as a outrageous idea.

How about when a customer has problem with their service, you create a team of people that can resolve the problems swiftly? I think many businesses call them Customer Service?

I know, crazy right?! However, I have had a problem with my smart meter and no one has bothered to reply to my post nor fix the problem.

Lets get the basics right Pure Planet...
Hi @JoseC
Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.
I've checked this out with our Member services team.
Tom from the team emailed you on 5th June. The email had a couple of suggestions to fix the issue, but also asked you to reply if they didn't work.
Maybe the email went into your junk/spam folder?
PS @JoseC I moved your other post to this thread. Not a problem, just to avoid having duplicate chats in different places.... 👍
Marc;55708:
Hi @JoseC
Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.
I've checked this out with our Member services team.
Tom from the team emailed you on 5th June. The email had a couple of suggestions to fix the issue, but also asked you to reply if they didn't work.
Maybe the email went into your junk/spam folder?

This is the email I got on the 5th June:

“Thanks for getting in touch about your In-home display (IHD).

We've tried to reconnect your IHD to your Smart meters. If your IHD still isn't showing usage information after 24 hours — please reply to this email to let us know. Make sure your IHD is plugged in as close as possible to your electricity meter as it reconnects. “

I replied after 24 hours as nothing had changed and have heard nothing since.

​​​​​​​Marc, I’m well aware of the existence of a spam folder and have checked it prior to me having to comment on the lack of customer service.

- - - Updated - - -

Marc;55709:
PS @JoseC I moved your other post to this thread. Not a problem, just to avoid having duplicate chats in different places.... 👍

@Marc
​​​​​​​
I disagree, the post should remain in the topic of ideas to improve your company. The comment about my problem was just to add context to the reason of coming up with the great idea of Customer Service.

I politely request you move it back so other users can see.

I replied after 24 hours as nothing had changed and have heard nothing since.

OK thanks @JoseC
I've flagged this with the team 👍
​​​​​​​Sorry that you've not had a reply yet.

I disagree, the post should remain in the topic of ideas to improve your company. The comment about my problem was just to add context to the reason of coming up with the great idea of Customer Service.

I politely request you move it back so other users can see.

Hi @JoseC
I moved it here from a discussion about ways in which Pure Planet can reward loyal Members. You'll see that ideas include credit to accounts, donations made to charity etc. All really good ideas which will come in really useful.
You've had a frustrating experience about your IHD. And it is completely understandable why it's frustrating for you. Your feedback is valid and important.
But your post was not about rewarding loyalty, so it's off topic to that thread.
We have a Member/customer service which is digital-first, and we are a Which recommended supplier.
Of course it's not for everyone, and we don't get it right every time!
Userlevel 5
Badge
The exact same IHD problem happened to me about two months ago. After a month of back and forth with the PP team, they told me that Magnum would need to come out to recommission my meters. Given that Magnum are only coming out for emergency calls, and I'm in Scotland, I don't expect my problem to be resolved for several months.

Smart meters: a failed experiment

I had a post to this effect planned, but have been so busy haven't had time to post it (I still might do that). In short:

I see four key aspects of a successful smart meter installation from the customer's viewpoint:

1. - no need to submit manual meter readings
  2. - meter readings automatically sent to Pure Planet's billing system
  3. - a fully functional in home display (IHD)
  4. - accurate monthly statements

It's now coming up to nine months since my smart meters were installed, and at no point during this period have all of these been working simultaneously (#3 , the IHD, has only ever worked properly for two 2-week periods). I can't begin to tell you how many hours I've spent trying to sort out these issues, including many messages with the team through Wattbot and email, including two formal complaints.

Coming up on 20 June might be the first time since joining PP that I'm going to attempt not to submit meter readings.
Thanks for sharing schase, I am still no further than where I started with sporadic customer service at best, all they try is to reconnect at their end which they have done 3 times now (you would think they could offer alternative troubleshooting but guess not!) so I’m guessing I will also need to be recommissioned.

If Pure Planet wants to get into the Smart Meter game, they should have learnt what to do when things go wrong, this is what Alpha/Beta testing/trials are for.

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevent Poor Performance.

Reward loyal customers by not having to wait NINE months to fix an issue.
Hi @schase and @JoseC

Sorry to hear that you're both still having smart meter / IHD issues. I can see from your posts that you're frustrated, please do keep messaging our Member services team as they are working hard to help you out.

I do need just clarify a couple of things from your posts.

We did indeed carry out a smart meter pilot. We announced, in late 2018, that we would start our pilot in early 2019. Other suppliers had started in the summer of 2018 but we held off as long as we could because there were widespread reports of multiple issues. But, we are - like all suppliers - compelled to install them by the Government.

So we did decide to start slowly, installing just a handful of pilot members in Jan, Feb and March 2019.

We quickly discovered all kinds of issues, mostly affecting the connectivity between meters and the IHDs, and between meters and energy suppliers, and there were various hardware challenges too, plus of course plenty of 'learnings' around our communications, support, and so on.

The pilot, which started from this community and grew to a few hundred Pure Planet Members, was really helpful and we're grateful for all the feedback, and of course for everyone's patience!

We posted an end of year update in Dec 2019 which showed that, despite the industry-wide issues overall, our performance had improved. And we've never pretended that it's all been smooth sailing.
Here were the stats for year end:

In 2019 we installed 5,392 SMETS2 meters for our Members.

We successfully installed and commissioned 88% of SMETS2 meters in the North and 96% in the South/ Central areas (in the world of smart meters, the North is defined as anywhere from Liverpool/Manchester and above).

I've checked out our latest performance for the start of 2020 and we were at 92% successful installation/commission overall, until the whole thing was put on hold due to Covid-19. (An update on engineers returning to non-emergency meter work is coming in a couple of weeks 👍)

The 'North' issues are very frustrating. It's caused by connectivity issues with data operator Arqiva which is affecting all energy suppliers. The central and South are covered by O2 which seem to have fewer issues.

This BBC article explains the North issues a bit more.

We have also had some challenges with smart meter readings appearing in statements, but the team have been working through this. We're now getting 91% of smart meters we've installed sending us monthly readings which appear in statements. Again, that could always be better, of course.

Anyway, I this helps. It's not intended to dismiss your feedback. And I also realise it doesn't immediately fix the issues you're both experiencing.
It's just that I wanted to explain that we haven't just started installing thousands of smart meters without very careful planning, and making constant improvments throughout.
And, of course, we want all Members to have a good smart meter experience with us, regardless how long they've been with PP.

I guess we don't hear so much from those who've had an incident-free install and get smart readings in their statements. But that's OK too.

Happy, of course, to keep chatting here. I'm also flagging this up again with our Member services team to see if there's anything more they can send you to reassure you.
I appreciate your time to reply Marc.

it seems the meters are still talking to Pure Planet as you managed to get my readings, just a shame I can’t see what’s happening on the IHD.

​​​​​​​all we can do is wait I suppose!
Userlevel 5
Badge
Same here...

This past weekend was the first time since I joined PP two years ago (and nine months since the smart meter installation) that I did not submit a monthly reading (although to be on the safe side I did take readings). Happy to say that yesterday I received an accurate monthly statement based on the automated readings! 😀 I will probably continue to take my own monthly readings, as I don't have much faith in the stability of the system.

Now just waiting for the bloody IHD to be working again! I'm aware the delay is due to COVID19, but it might be quicker if I upped sticks and moved south (where the meter communications network is apparently more reliable than in the North) 😀

JoseC;56213:
I appreciate your time to reply Marc.

it seems the meters are still talking to Pure Planet as you managed to get my readings, just a shame I can’t see what’s happening on the IHD.

​​​​​​​all we can do is wait I suppose!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
A golden opportunity missed here I feel,

Pure Planet Prior Preparation and Planning Prevent Poor Performance.
​​​​​​​(well you started this...)
your go...

JoseC;56141:

Prior Preparation and Planning Prevent Poor Performance.

There are so many ‘Smart Meter’ threads, that I’m not sure which to add this to.

In August 2019, when we were going through ‘what do you mean that’s “the living room” it’s a “bedroom” now’ house reorganization, my GEO Trio II In-Home Display was accidentally packed away.

Well having finally found where the electricians hid it yesterday - it now says 'Waiting for Data’ and under ‘System Status’ it says:

‘Electricity Meter not connected
Status 28-2

Connected to the meter network, but not receiving all electricity meter data.
Please wait for service to be restored.’

Is this likely to be:

A: Because it needs time to 'catch-up'

or

B: Because my Landis & Gyr E470 SMETS1 hasn't become 'SMETS2' yet?

or

C: Something's wrong, and I need to contact Member Services?

I can't remember whether it worked before it was accidentally packed away.

There’s a handbook in this thread which says ‘28’ means:

‘Monitor is connected to the electricity meter, but not receiving all data. If the problem persists, contact your utility provider‘

But there’s  no explanation regarding whether that’s affected by SMETS1/SMETS2.

Thanks in advance
Me

Further to my above post:

On another screen it says:

“Meter network not connected 

Status 23-2

Connected to the meter network, but not receiving all data. Please wait for service to be restored.”

The manual quoted above says, with a chilling sense of deja vu.

“Monitor is connected to the meter network, but not receiving all data. If the problem persists, contact your utility provider”