Solved

Gas meter too far from smart meter hub, can't take reading

• 19 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi

I had a smart meter installed a year or two ago and have never been able to get a gas reading. We were told that the distance was too far for the meter to work (our electricity is in the house, our gas meter is in the garden about 20 metres away) but that technology would be changing so we can connect, and to contact Pure for updates. Is there a new smart meter that would reach? Is there a way of piggybacking off our wifi network (as this would cover the two meters) We are also unable to get a gas reading since the work was completed (smart meters don’t display the reading is that right?) and our estimated gas usage seems very high. 

Thanks for any help and advice you can offer.

icon

Best answer by Duppy 19 November 2020, 14:40

Hi @Amandaml 

The technology that is changing is that your meters will be upgraded remotely so that they will work with all suppliers, but that won't help with your IHD problem. These work on a similar but seperate system to wi-fi, and it does have its limitations regarding distance between meters. At the moment all you can do is take manual readings from the meter by pressing buttons to wake up the display screen

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.

I take it you have a smets1 smart meter and you're looking to replace with smets2

Heres a link which may help you:
https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/can-i-have-a-smart-meter-10328

You can take readings from. Smart meters...you just have to 'wake them up'. Which bitting you use to wake it up differs from meter to meter. 

https://community.purepla.net/smart-meters-and-ihds-33/how-to-read-your-smart-meter-10332

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Amandaml 

The technology that is changing is that your meters will be upgraded remotely so that they will work with all suppliers, but that won't help with your IHD problem. These work on a similar but seperate system to wi-fi, and it does have its limitations regarding distance between meters. At the moment all you can do is take manual readings from the meter by pressing buttons to wake up the display screen