Solved

Electricity Meter Problem

• 21 February 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a problem with my electricity meter. They are smart meters from a previous provider and there are 2 red lights flashing on the meter … which I tend to interpret as not a good sign.

One red light is just to the right of the keypad on the meter and the other is the middle of 3 lights just above and to the left of the display with the letters “WAN” underneath it.

Question is, should this be raised with PP or directly with the electricity board?

icon

Best answer by woz 21 February 2021, 22:34

I’m not 100% sure…

The wan light is an indicator that it’s connecting to the network, the frequency tells you the status, I believe it’s different for smets 1 and 2 meters.  link may not apply to your meter but I think a solid light indicates it isn’t sending data. Different frequencies indicate whether it’s successfully communicating, but if pp are still asking for readings it probably isn’t.

The other light may be either the han (home network which connects to your ihd) status light, or an indicator which shows whether your consumption is high or low, I’m not sure which

These are likely engineer aids to diagnosis, the question is , is everything working OK? Is your ihd connected to the meter and is the meter sending readings to PP.

If it’s smets2 pp should update it so it sends readings, smets1 will/may take a little longer as updates are stalled (as far as I know)

Use help&support (wattbot)to query directly with PP staff, bot replies are instant and will likely be of no use answering your particular question, persist until Q. passed to team, then human replies in 2 - 3 working days.

btw

I’m flagging your username as a precaution only as it might confuse other members.(Admin will decide-I don’t work for PP)

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m not 100% sure…

The wan light is an indicator that it’s connecting to the network, the frequency tells you the status, I believe it’s different for smets 1 and 2 meters.  link may not apply to your meter but I think a solid light indicates it isn’t sending data. Different frequencies indicate whether it’s successfully communicating, but if pp are still asking for readings it probably isn’t.

The other light may be either the han (home network which connects to your ihd) status light, or an indicator which shows whether your consumption is high or low, I’m not sure which

These are likely engineer aids to diagnosis, the question is , is everything working OK? Is your ihd connected to the meter and is the meter sending readings to PP.

If it’s smets2 pp should update it so it sends readings, smets1 will/may take a little longer as updates are stalled (as far as I know)

Use help&support (wattbot)to query directly with PP staff, bot replies are instant and will likely be of no use answering your particular question, persist until Q. passed to team, then human replies in 2 - 3 working days.

btw

I’m flagging your username as a precaution only as it might confuse other members.(Admin will decide-I don’t work for PP)

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi

You can send a message to the team directly via Wattbot.

if you go to the app and click on the
☰ menu at the top, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 

Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi Smart Meter, what the lights mean can vary depending on which meters you have, if you Google ( other search engines available ) the meter make and model and add status lights you should give you an idea of what they mean and if you have any actionable problems