Solved

Don't want a smart meter

I live in a rented house, my land lord and I DO NOT want any smart meters installed. Who do I get in touch with to cancel the installation? 

icon

Best answer by Duppy 16 March 2021, 08:36

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@ELG 

Has Magnum been in touch to arrange an installation, if not, you need to do nothing, when they do phone to arrange the fitting, you can just say no thanks, there is no obligation to have one 

If they have arranged an installation, you should have received an email giving details of date and time of the appointment, it will also include contact details if you wish to change/cancel the booking

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Having smart meters is voluntary .

Userlevel 1

When I said no to Smart Meters Magnum said that they are convenient since you will not access some tariffs without them 

Is it true?

How does it work?

What happens if companies who provide them end up by closing down? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

When I said no to Smart Meters Magnum said that they are convenient since you will not access some tariffs without them 

Is it true?

How does it work?

What happens if companies who provide them end up by closing down? 

@Francesca I believe it's correct that certain tariffs are only available if you have a smartmeter.

They work by sending frequent - half hourly, hourly or daily -  meter readings to a clearing house/hub (via a wireless comms system that is installed with the meter). This database then gives your readings to the energy company it identifies as supplying that meter.

Your readings would still go to the hub, it's automatic. Your supply contract would be taken over by another energy company, arranged by Ofgem - I presume, and the new company would then access your readings to bill you while you were with them.

Not sure PP has one at the moment. They do have one that needs a dual rate meter, but that doesn’t need to be smart. Some companies do/will offer smart only tariffs.

If you get one from a company and they go toots up, then the responsibility for the meter will pass to your newly allocated deemed supplier.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

“Toots” 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Glad you’re on ya toots there bevatoot

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Truly am larfing soooo much 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Francesca There is no requirement at present with PP to have a Smart Meter, neither are there tariffs where you must have a SM, but there will be soon once PP get the tech sorted. Unless you have an EV I wouldn’t worry. If you’re thinking of switching you will find plenty of other providers who insist on a SM for a particular tariff, so what Magnum said is true about tariffs but not true for PP.  

Have you agreed to have one? If so contact Magnum and cancel. Send a covering sentence to PP using wattbot as a nicety. If Magnum turn up tell them you cancelled.

https://magnumutilities.com/contact/

Userlevel 1

Hello

I am not thinking of switching provider just of staying with Pure Planet and try the Smart Meters to see if they work 

Is Magnum not a Pure Planet partner?

I received an SMS from Pure Planet saying that they are 

Userlevel 1

Are Smart Meters working with PP?

I mean the second generation of Smart Meters? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Francesca 

Magnum are a partner of Pure Planet in the sense that they are the preferred installers of smart meters on Pure Planet's behalf.

Magnum also fit smart meters for other suppliers and the information you were given about tariffs is correct in that some suppliers do provide time of use tariffs that are more expensive in the peak hours and cheaper in off peak, with some even doing surge pricing, which all involve smart meters registering the use in half hourly segments and being billed accordingly. This of course does not ( yet ,) apply to Pure Planet

Userlevel 1

OK thank you Duppy

Can I have Smart Meters second generation installed and stay with Pure Planet on a fixed tariff? 

Userlevel 1

Will I always receive a monthly statement and pay for a fixed tariff direct debit every month? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Francesca 

Yes and Yes 

Smart meters are being fitted by region and you will be contacted when the installers are in your area 

You will still get monthly statements, the only difference is that the readings will be done remotely, and you payments will remain as previously set up

Userlevel 1

OK thank you Duppy 

Yesterday Magnum fixed an appointment to have them installed here and Pure Planet Sent SMS advising they would call

So installers will be here in October 

They said we can try them eventually return them and get back to traditional meters if not happy with them 

Not heard of the try before you buy system with PP smart meters. Anyone else had this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Francesca 

Not sure where they got that from, Pure Planet's policy is that once a smart meter is fitted, you can't go back to a traditional ( dumb ) meter

Userlevel 1

OK Duppy thank you