Solved

Does the smart meter record kWh for PV generation onto the grid?

• 22 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Does the smart meter record kWh for PV generation onto the grid?

Some companies appear to want to adopt FIT contracts including the payment buried in the small print.

icon

Best answer by Mark Pocock 23 July 2021, 20:25

Hi @PV battery man ,

You are either using FIT or SEG, but not both.

FIT only applies if you had your solar panels installed before the scheme closed a couple of years ago. In thst case payments are based on generation, which is measured by a dedicated meter, and any export which is either deemed to be 50% of generation or measured via the smart meter. The values are reported to your FIT supplier every quarter. You can have your FIT payments from any of the energy companies that manage them. It doesn't have to be your energy supplier (for example mine are with Ecotricity).

If you didn't qualify for FIT then you need to use SEG instead. Pure Planet now offers SEG, so there is no need to switch supplier. Pure Planet just offer a fixed rate per kWh of export so has no need to take meter readings at small intervals. The meter itself doesn't keep a history, it would just provide readings when asked by the supplier. If you moved to a supplier that offered variable rates for SEG then they would contact the meter at the intervals they required (e.g. every 30 mins) to find how much had been used.

I am trying to understand what you are asking in your original question. Are you looking into getting solar and the installer wants to keep the export payments?

View original

6 replies

Hi @PV battery man, welcome.

Yes!

Yes is a tad vague?

Would that be all generated kWh is recorded or does Pure Planet take the FIT revenue stream?

Another question is the generation export, time stamped in 30 minute sections or larger blocks? The same applies when considering importing power, time stamped with duration. 

Others with a Smart Meter and/or solar panels will jump in and answer at some point. You’ve got me beat on the resolution of the readings. There are some trials of 30 minute readings, but… 🤷

Also my guess is that you can choose who pays you for your exports.

Hi @PV battery man ,

You are either using FIT or SEG, but not both.

FIT only applies if you had your solar panels installed before the scheme closed a couple of years ago. In thst case payments are based on generation, which is measured by a dedicated meter, and any export which is either deemed to be 50% of generation or measured via the smart meter. The values are reported to your FIT supplier every quarter. You can have your FIT payments from any of the energy companies that manage them. It doesn't have to be your energy supplier (for example mine are with Ecotricity).

If you didn't qualify for FIT then you need to use SEG instead. Pure Planet now offers SEG, so there is no need to switch supplier. Pure Planet just offer a fixed rate per kWh of export so has no need to take meter readings at small intervals. The meter itself doesn't keep a history, it would just provide readings when asked by the supplier. If you moved to a supplier that offered variable rates for SEG then they would contact the meter at the intervals they required (e.g. every 30 mins) to find how much had been used.

I am trying to understand what you are asking in your original question. Are you looking into getting solar and the installer wants to keep the export payments?

Thank’s for your great answer @Mark Pocock, I hope it works for @PV battery man...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I can’t add much to @Mark Pocock ‘s excellent reply so here are some relevant links

https://purepla.net/tariff/seg