Solved

Could Pure Planet find another Smart meter installer?

• 16 November 2020
  • 4 replies

I am absolutely furious. My first smart meter installation on September30th was cancelled due to Magnum Utilities not being able to understand how the postcode system in the UK works and actually locating my home address as being in a similar sounding town close to RAF Lossiemouth. Not having the right sort of meter to install close to an air base, without having planes crashing down out of the sky, they cancelled. So I sat several hundred miles away from Lossiemouth fuming that I had cancelled work appointments to be at the house for the installation. 

Over the last few days I have had many texts and a postcard in the post all to remind me to be at home between 1 and 5 for the installation today. So with work appointments cancelled I sat and waited for someone to turn up, but sadly I still have no smart meters, no communication, no apologies, no excuses.

I am sure there are other companies that fit smart meters, maybe some who know how to find and address or even turn up to appointments. Pure Planet, please try to find one!

icon

Best answer by Nataly 17 November 2020, 14:47

Hey @BobE 

Sorry to hear you’ve had a frustrating experience - I flagged this with our Member Services team, who’ve let me know you have an open email conversation with them about this, so nice one for raising it with them too. They’ll be able to look into this further and whether the appointment was cancelled with sufficient notice or not :thumbsup:

They have let me know it looks like the Data Communications Company (so, the company who are overseeing the roll-out of smart meters in the UK) have flagged your location as being an area of low connectivity - which would mean even if smart meters were installed, they likely wouldn’t be able to successfully communicate. That’s why smart meters wouldn’t be installed for you, for now. 

Our Member Services team will reply to your email with further info on that, too. 

View original

4 replies

I am sure there are other companies that fit smart meters, maybe some who know how to find and address or even turn up to appointments. Pure Planet, please try to find one!

Hi BobE

Welcome to the community, I’m sorry to hear you’ve had issues with your Smart Meter installation, hopefully Pure Planet can sort this for you.

As to a different company being ‘better’ - not necessarily in my experience, the installer my previous supplier used didn’t set up my meter properly and it took 8 months, a complaint to OFGEM, and a second visit to get it sorted.

Hey @BobE 

Sorry to hear you’ve had a frustrating experience - I flagged this with our Member Services team, who’ve let me know you have an open email conversation with them about this, so nice one for raising it with them too. They’ll be able to look into this further and whether the appointment was cancelled with sufficient notice or not :thumbsup:

They have let me know it looks like the Data Communications Company (so, the company who are overseeing the roll-out of smart meters in the UK) have flagged your location as being an area of low connectivity - which would mean even if smart meters were installed, they likely wouldn’t be able to successfully communicate. That’s why smart meters wouldn’t be installed for you, for now. 

Our Member Services team will reply to your email with further info on that, too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

As Nataly and Marc can guess, I am not without some sympathy here. The competency of the Magnum people when they came (twice, both abortive, one in part the other wholly) left a lot to be desired.

Hi Nataly, many of my neighbours have functioning smart meters fitted by their energy suppliers. From the phone conversation I had with Magnum this morning, where they spoke about not having the correct meters in stock, it sounded like it was back to problem 1, that I live far too close to an air base and need a category of meter that's currently unavailable. Which as it was, in the first instance, totally wrong.