Solved

Can my smart meter be connected to my internet?

• 22 September 2020
  • 8 replies

My mobile signal is too weak to have a smart meter. Can it be connected to my internet which is very strong ?

icon

Best answer by 25 quid 22 September 2020, 10:08

What a good question! It would be a cunning workaround but they can’t, as meters have their own special network...

View original

8 replies

What a good question! It would be a cunning workaround but they can’t, as meters have their own special network...

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

... so, at the risk of spelling out the obvious, a smart meter doesn't use your mobile phone network or the internet

Stephen

Yup. It must use its own mobile signal to ensure that hackers, er I mean the data centre can always access the meter.

Hey @cobra2343 

Just to let you know I’ve moved your post to our ‘smart meters’ section :relaxed:

Spot on from @25 quid and @stephenrand - the network used by smart meters isn’t related to your mobile or internet signal. 

@25 quid has provided a really helpful link:arrow_up: , and there’s more info on the Smart Energy GB site which may help?

I didn’t know how they worked but thanks to the all knowing stephen now I do ! 

Userlevel 3

In the south of the country the meters use telefonica’s network so will correlate closely to whether you get an O2 signal… so it’s not really true to say it’s not related to the mobile signal.

In the north it’s an independent one by Arquiva (and there are no coverage maps available for it as far as I know).

There were some rumours of smart meters with external antennas being rolled out, but I haven’t heard anything recently.

Thank you Tony , I asked the question as I had a smart meter at my last house and the meter had a signal indicator same as a mobile hence my original question 

I didn’t know how they worked but thanks to the all knowing stephen now I do ! 

🤨