Solved

Can I have a smart meter please?

• 22 February 2018
  • 6 replies

Can I have a smart meter please?
icon

Best answer by Marc 23 February 2018, 16:25

Hi @AgnesMc
We're aiming to upgrade all members to a next generation smart meter as soon as possible, and we will notify members once we are ready to start installations.
The problem with the current 'smart' meters is that they tie you to the supplier who installs them - they're not smart enough to work with different suppliers.
That's why we've been waiting - to give our members better tech.
View original

6 replies

Hi @AgnesMc
We're aiming to upgrade all members to a next generation smart meter as soon as possible, and we will notify members once we are ready to start installations.
The problem with the current 'smart' meters is that they tie you to the supplier who installs them - they're not smart enough to work with different suppliers.
That's why we've been waiting - to give our members better tech.
Received a letter from a big6 provider saying they need to replace my meter. I assume this isn't same as meter I am waiting on from you?

Marc;4109:
Hi @AgnesMc
As this thread says above, the problem with the current 'smart' meters is that they tie you to the supplier who installs them - they're not smart enough to work with different suppliers.
That's why we've been waiting until this year - to give our members better tech.
Hi @ngin
That will be if your meter is getting on and needs replacing. You're correct, it's not the same as the second gen smart meters we'll be issuing to all members
I already have a 1st gen smart meter, and I'm not a customer of provider saying I've to change. Is it possible to email me privately rather in group?
ngin;4733:
I already have a 1st gen smart meter, and I'm not a customer of provider saying I've to change. Is it possible to email me privately rather in group?

Hi @ngin In this circumstance one of the 'Big 6' is acting as a distributor. You don't have to be a customer. Here's a link to an Ofgem page which lists the regional distributors.
I would like to participate in the trail I am a retired electronics engineer with 40 years + in repair industry