Solved

Call about getting smart meter installed

• 30 November 2020
  • 8 replies

I haven’t registered any interest in having a Smart meter installed but I’m getting calls and texts from a third party supplier.  Please can you recall my details from your partner as I haven’t agreed to tor requested this.  Really annoying.

icon

Best answer by Nataly 1 December 2020, 11:53

Following your DM, @sken your username’s been updated now and edited in @25 quid’s replies, too :relaxed:  

I think it’s best to let them know you don’t want meters installed so they stop contacting you in this case. You aren’t obligated to have smart meters :thumbsup:

View original

8 replies

I’m with you on that @sken . Abuse of our data for unsolicited contact is very annoying.

I’ve had an as yet unresolved complaint with PP since October for an abuse of my contacts details. 

You’ll have noticed this is a public forum populated by other customers and attended by a couple of helpful PP staffers. If you feel strongly enough about this issue, you need to contact PP directly (interestingly that’s the best FAQ that pops up if you search contact) to resolve this.

Rest assured, you won’t get a smart meter if you don’t agree and the calls should stop of their own accord. Eventually.

Thanks.  I’ve blocked the number so it is just the texts.  I hadn’t opened the email and next thing I’m getting texts, now phone calls.  It’s things like this that ruin a company’s reputation.  We’re in a pandemic, not sure I want people in my home unnecessarily. 

Also, do you know how I change my username for posts?  Can’t seem to do it on Profile.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks.  I’ve blocked the number so it is just the texts.  I hadn’t opened the email and next thing I’m getting texts, now phone calls.  It’s things like this that ruin a company’s reputation.  We’re in a pandemic, not sure I want people in my home unnecessarily. 

Also, do you know how I change my username for posts?  Can’t seem to do it on Profile.

@sken 

hi Sharon

You can’t change your username yourself but @Marc or @Nataly the forum admin can do it for you if you send them a direct message (DM).

Click on either of the red names and then on “Send Message” and give details of your desire...

You’ll see a reply number on your avatar top right when there’s  a reply.

(the “3rd party” is Magnum who carry out the SM fitting for PP, my point being it’s not just a random 3rd party….I know...I know...)

I wonder if Magnum have the right balance of persistence in their attempts at contact? Seems overly heavy-handed in your case Sharon.

I guess PP will abdicate responsibility for their third party behaviour as they did with my DNO.

Following your DM, @sken your username’s been updated now and edited in @25 quid’s replies, too :relaxed:  

I think it’s best to let them know you don’t want meters installed so they stop contacting you in this case. You aren’t obligated to have smart meters :thumbsup:

Magnum made an unsolicited call to me this morning.  It was from a mobile telephone and they asked me for personal data.  I have raised a PP complaint.  PP never contacted me and explicitly asked if they could hand out my contact details to a third party.  A year or two ago I register with the telephone preference service so should not receive unsolicited calls.  I just raised a complaint against Magnum.  I am waiting for PP to respond.  Also looking at Martin Lewis website for alternative energy supplier if unhappy with the PP resolution.

I feel your pain @Killer and have been in a similar situation. Casual abuse of personal data is all too common. I think you’ll find PP will try to help undo what is done as far as is possible…

Good luck. I doubt you’ll find a perfect respecter of personal data energy provider, but I’d love to hear your experiences.

One simple approach is to not give companies your personal details. Just make up stuff if they insist. 😉 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Killer 

I would have thought that the first step is to register a formal complaint with magnum, asking them who gave them your information?

https://magnumutilities.com/contact/   (beware the cookie settings they are non compliant as they default to not necessary and you still have to accept although it isn’t clear what you’re accepting. You might want to complain about that too, and you have to agree to their privacy policy to message them from that page. Disgraceful .

https://www.linkedin.com/in/angela-beardsmore-95bb8685/?originalSubdomain=uk