Ask Your Smart Meter Technical Questions Here

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
  • Rocket Scientist
  • 9313 replies
Hi
This thread is for any 'technical' questions about Smart Meters.

'Technical' in a broad sense, nothing is off limits, from installs, reading the screens, details about the In-Home-Display, communications...anything goes (..well almost anything...).

The idea is that anyone can contribute a reply, you don't have to be an expert, although expertise is always welcome. Hopefully over time a repository of information will build up to help all.

I know Leyton did a Q&A HERE but that's a closed thread now, so if anyone has any techy questions ask here and hopefully someone will know the answer, or maybe where to find it.

I'll start the ball rolling..
Has anyone who has had a SM fitted by PP and who is on Economy 7 noticed any change in the timings when it switches to night rate from what they were previously, and does the In-Home-Display tell you when it switches?

122 replies

talldave;32071:
Is the comms hub on the network side of the meter? Ie the customer doesn't pay for the electricity it uses?

Hi @talldave
Just to let you know I'm chasing my colleagues in our smart team for an answer.
The IHD and smart meter adds about £2 a year to your energy usage. More info on that in our FAQs section.
We think the comms hub is included in that, but we're double-checking. 🆙
Marc;32769:
Hi @talldave
Just to let you know I'm chasing my colleagues in our smart team for an answer.
The IHD and smart meter adds about £2 a year to your energy usage. More info on that in our FAQs section.
We think the comms hub is included in that, but we're double-checking. 🆙

Hey @talldave
That's now confirmed.
It's approx £2 a year to run the IHD, smart meter and comms hub.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
...and that works out at around 1.6 watts for both. (seems low to me for 2 meters and an IHD) but possible, I think it will be a lot higher if the IHD screen is on a lot.
The next story in the Daily Mail will be Smart Meters Costing Consumers £42m a year.
(based on 20 million ish smart meters)
Marc;32912:
Hey @talldave
That's now confirmed.
It's approx £2 a year to run the IHD, smart meter and comms hub.
Thanks @Marc for the reply

The IHD is a customer device that they can decide to use or not use, so it's fair that the customer pays to power it.

But it seems wrong that the customer is expected to power the meter and comms hub - that's part of the supplier's infrastructure. It's not the (trivial) cost, it's the principle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Looking on the bright side, simply by asking this question and the follow up debate, chances are you have earnt more than £2 in community points.
But i see your point. For me if/when a 3phase smet2 meter becomes available the IHD will still be pointless as the meter is so far away that the range to the IHD will be too far for it to be visable to anybody.
talldave;32929:

The IHD is a customer device that they can decide to use or not use, so it's fair that the customer pays to power it.

But it seems wrong that the customer is expected to power the meter and comms hub - that's part of the supplier's infrastructure. It's not the (trivial) cost, it's the principle.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Agreed and I don't understand the logic of this, if it's possible to disconnect the meter remotely and still maintain communications how can the comms supply be on the consumer side, unless it relies on batteries to communicate, and why would anyone design it that way? Put simply I don't (yet) believe the answer.
talldave;32929:

Jon1;32938:
Looking on the bright side, simply by asking this question and the follow up debate, chances are you have earnt more than £2 in community points.
But i see your point. For me if/when a 3phase smet2 meter becomes available the IHD will still be pointless as the meter is so far away that the range to the IHD will be too far for it to be visable to anybody.

You'll need a Zigbee repeater. I thought the system was designed so that in blocks of flats a mesh network would be created to get the comms from upper floors down to ground level. You just need to recreate that through your property.

woz;32945:
Agreed and I don't understand the logic of this, if it's possible to disconnect the meter remotely and still maintain communications how can the comms supply be on the consumer side, unless it relies on batteries to communicate, and why would anyone design it that way? Put simply I don't (yet) believe the answer.

Whilst I have the utmost respect for @Marc and his research, I would also like to think that this isn't the case.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I'm not casting aspersions on jon1's body here but I think he's spread outwards rather than upwards... ?
talldave;32949:
You'll need a Zigbee repeater. I thought the system was designed so that in blocks of flats a mesh network would be created to get the comms from upper floors down to ground level. You just need to recreate that through your property.

Whilst I have the utmost respect for @Marc and his research, I would also like to think that this isn't the case.
woz;32950:
I'm not casting aspersions on jon1's body here but I think he's spread outwards rather than upwards... ?

LOL, I'm sure repeaters will cope with sideways as well as up and down. The serious point though is that whilst meters themselves might act as repeaters unless "the industry" has commissioned standalone repeaters, they won't exist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
DT Money Article 20th July 2019
New Fix For Smart Meters Still Riddled With Issues <-link
Hope it's OK to post a scan of the article, not sure if I need permission
if not delete it.
Are you able to supply a display for smart meters fitted under a previous supplier?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi oscarbigfeet
​If you mean an InHomeDisplay, which I assume you do, it needs to be clarified as to whether your meters would be compatible with the TRIO IHD. (If however you mean the display on the actual meter itself that's a whole new answer)

If they are smets2 there is a possibility that they might be compatible, you need to find out first. Not sure who will know that? Perhaps Magnum or the IHD manufacturers? In answer to the question, once that's established I'd ask PP nicely and see what happens.
As an alternative option have you considered talking to the energy co. who were responsible for fitting the meters?

​You have raised a very interesting question which I hadn't thought of, what is the situation with IHD's when older smets1 meters are updated to be made compatible. Will the PP supplied IHD work? @Marc can you ask about this please?

Oscarbigfeet;34758:
Are you able to supply a display for smart meters fitted under a previous supplier?
I am indeed talking about the in home display.
My SM was installed last Thursday but still says waiting for data. Any idea what I need to do? Read about connectivity problems but showing quite good wi fi connection.
Any ideas?
Oscarbigfeet;34758:

Great question @Oscarbigfeet
Aaaaaaaaand, I don't know the answer. But I'll do my best to find out for you. 🆙
will our british gas smart meter work on pure planet
woz;27629:
Hi
This thread is for any 'technical' questions about Smart Meters.

'Technical' in a broad sense, nothing is off limits, from installs, reading the screens, details about the In-Home-Display, communications...anything goes (..well almost anything...).

The idea is that anyone can contribute a reply, you don't have to be an expert, although expertise is always welcome. Hopefully over time a repository of information will build up to help all.

I know Leyton did a Q&A HERE but that's a closed thread now, so if anyone has any techy questions ask here and hopefully someone will know the answer, or maybe where to find it.

I'll start the ball rolling..
Has anyone who has had a SM fitted by PP and who is on Economy 7 noticed any change in the timings when it switches to night rate from what they were previously, and does the In-Home-Display tell you when it switches?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Steandlinda
I believe it won't function as a Smart meter unless updated, (not happening yet), so you'll need to read it manually once a month.(which is not hard to do)
The in home display may or may not continue to work in part (and if it does work at all the rates will be wrong).

Are you on economy7? ​Your post has come up with my previous question below it.
​PP aren't fitting smart meters to some E7 installs yet. It's complicated.

steandlinda;34865:
will our british gas smart meter work on pure planet
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I got my smart meter installed today! I have a couple of questions though, do I have to send readings from now on? I can see the numbers have been reset to 0 somehow - see picture.

Also, the IHD isn't working. Apparently the signal in the meeting room isn't great and there's too much distance in between the meter and the IHD. Kind of disappointed about that but according to the technician these IHDs are a gimmick and barely work!
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Gab, hows the little one doing?
IHD issues are known about by PP and are work in progress, leave it a few days then try siting it as near meter as possible and switch it off/on. There's not much else you can do for the moment. (it might work)
Also all new meters start from zero, your old readings will have been noted by the installer and sent to PP to work out the billing for the old meter.
Sadly for the moment until the teething probs are sorted, (you'll know about teething!) you'll need to send in readings for the while.
Gabolino;35206:
I got my smart meter installed today! I have a couple of questions though, do I have to send readings from now on? I can see the numbers have been reset to 0 somehow - see picture.

Also, the IHD isn't working. Apparently the signal in the meeting room isn't great and there's too much distance in between the meter and the IHD. Kind of disappointed about that but according to the technician these IHDs are a gimmick and barely work!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
woz;35209:
hi Gab, hows the little one doing?
IHD issues are known about by PP and are work in progress, leave it a few days then try siting it as near meter as possible and switch it off/on. There's not much else you can do for the moment. (it might work)
Also all new meters start from zero, your old readings will have been noted by the installer and sent to PP to work out the billing for the old meter.
Sadly for the moment until the teething probs are sorted, (you'll know about teething!) you'll need to send in readings for the while.

The installer used the word teething as well! :D

What about the readings, do i simply forget about them?

The little is doing great, thanks. He's now with my parents in Spain while I keep things rolling here in the UK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Gab
Depends if you're in North or South if South PP may well get your readings automatically.
Presume you've seen THIS
I'd just send the readings in at the usual time, it'll take quite a while for the billing to catch up anyway. Eventually (hopefully) the comms issues will be sorted.
Gabolino;35211:
The installer used the word teething as well! :D

What about the readings, do i simply forget about them?

The little is doing great, thanks. He's now with my parents in Spain while I keep things rolling here in the UK.
Sadruth;34785:
My SM was installed last Thursday but still says waiting for data. Any idea what I need to do? Read about connectivity problems but showing quite good wi fi connection.
Any ideas?

Did the IHD display data before the installer left the property?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
woz;35216:
hi Gab
Depends if you're in North or South if South PP may well get your readings automatically.
Presume you've seen THIS
I'd just send the readings in at the usual time, it'll take quite a while for the billing to catch up anyway. Eventually (hopefully) the comms issues will be sorted.

I'm South, home display still trying to connect, I've given up on him ;)

I'm just hoping PP is getting the reads automatically. Any way to confirm that? Should I contact the team maybe?
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Gabolino;35767:

I'm just hoping PP is getting the reads automatically. Any way to confirm that? Should I contact the team maybe?

Hi Gabolono,
I have had to contact the team due to no statements or readings in the app, they have assured me that they are receiving the readings but waiting for meter info.
Contact PP and ask, can't do any harm
Gabolino;35767:

Hey @Gabolino
There is an issue with gas usage not appearing. It's mostly affecting IHDs in the North, but can affect ones in the South too.
Have you tried the famous IT trick of switching it off and on again? Also, how close is the IHD to your electricity meter?