Ask Your Smart Meter Technical Questions Here

Show first post

122 replies

woz;30635:
@Marc
​Just a thought...Will the type of meter vary according to which DNO area you're in?

Hey @woz
Sorry for late reply. I had to check this one....
The answer is no, the DNO doesn't have any impact on meter type.
(There are some meters that seem to work better in the north region or the central/south region. We, like other energy companies, are finding this out!)
BigChi3f;31851:
Hi, since my smart meter installation the IHD has only ever connected to the gas mater. Even when the engineer was showing me around the IHD it wasnt working and he advised it was something that needed to be done at the pure planet end to get it configured. It's been 3 weeks now so I'm guessing something is amiss. What's my best approach?

Thanks
Nick

Hi @BigChi3f
I've just posted over here about the IHD issue being reported by some Members. It's got some useful troubleshooting tips, and also how to let us know if it still doesn't sort it. 🆙
talldave;32071:
Is the comms hub on the network side of the meter? Ie the customer doesn't pay for the electricity it uses?

Hi @talldave
Just to let you know I'm chasing my colleagues in our smart team for an answer.
The IHD and smart meter adds about £2 a year to your energy usage. More info on that in our FAQs section.
We think the comms hub is included in that, but we're double-checking. 🆙
Marc;32769:
Hi @talldave
Just to let you know I'm chasing my colleagues in our smart team for an answer.
The IHD and smart meter adds about £2 a year to your energy usage. More info on that in our FAQs section.
We think the comms hub is included in that, but we're double-checking. 🆙

Hey @talldave
That's now confirmed.
It's approx £2 a year to run the IHD, smart meter and comms hub.
Oscarbigfeet;34758:
Are you able to supply a display for smart meters fitted under a previous supplier?

Great question @Oscarbigfeet
Aaaaaaaaand, I don't know the answer. But I'll do my best to find out for you. 🆙
Gabolino;35873:

The IHD is quite fsr away, I live in a flat and the meter is at the other side of the building... I think it's too far the signal to connect

Hi @Gabolino
Yes, that'll be the reason.
Did the engineer not explain that the IHD may not connect?
StevieBee;37225:
Good morning,
My smart meters were installed on August 13th. My new account statement shows that PP are estimating my consumption for electricity and for gas. Further, my IHD can't see the meter at a distance of about 6 feet.
Are you (or your contractor) struggling to get my meters working? Anything I can do to help?

I just submitted my own meter readings. The gas reading was 8 m^3 and the electricity 246 kWh. The system didn't like those numbers, at all! :-D

Best,
Stephen.

Hi @StevieBee
Have you seen this post about IHD issues?
And also this one about the need to keep sending us meter readings for now.
Hope it's helpful 🆙
Ian31;37661:
I had a smart meter instal which went well in terms of booking the time etc, but the engineer said he could not instal to my type of gas meter. So I have a working electricity smart meter but still have to manually submit my gas readings. I was never asked what sort of gas meter I had and didn't think there might be "wrong" sorts of meter. Don't know where i go from here as I'm missing the main benefit of automatic readings for bills. Do i need a new meter? Or a different type of smart box?

What type of gas meter do you have @Ian31 ?
Ian31;37861:
It has always seemed relatively big but it is in a normal domestic situation. Pic enclosed.

Thanks @Ian31
Ah, mystery solved. You've got a U16 gas meter. It's a commercial gas meter. Very rare to see these in domestic properties.
Currently there are no smart meters for U16s.
Ian31;37865:
So assuming this meter can't be smart, can i change my meter or am i to be forever unsmart? Do i even own it?

Hi @Ian31
First of all you'd need to arrange a gas safe engineer to carry out a maximum load test, to see if it's safe to downgrade it to a normal gas meter.
Assuming it is, you'd then have to wait for us to install it for you. This isn't something we're offering just yet, as we're still in the pilot phase of our SMETS2 installs.
I think you'd be better off waiting for now.
25 quid;38511:
Remote turn-off — Mentioned just once so far in this interesting thread.

Is anybody concerned that these meters can plunge individuals, communities or all smart users into cold darkness?

As an example, for years I’ve warned friends and colleagues of the risk that Google's Chrome auto-update system has way too much power. A standard installation has permission to change any file anywhere on my system at any time without my permission. Recently the worst happened and it is only good fortune that it only effected some Mac users. See Chrome Update Impacts Some macOS Systems - Google Chrome Help.

Smart meters seem to expose people, who chose to install this tech, to a similar risk. This could happen either through some accidental finger trouble, or some malicious actor getting all hacky with our grid in an attempt to make us vote Trump... ;)

​Discuss!

Interesting points @25 quid
I heard about that Chrome bug. A lot of Apple users (fanboys?!) were v unhappy. Though I suppose most of them use Safari anyway...

Back to smart meters. I'm not a smart meters expert, but I know that the infrastructure has been tested by GCHQ. Does that reassure you?
Hi @IanRP and @ShaneHayes7
Welcome to the community, and thanks for posting.
If your IHDs are still not comissioned, the best thing is to contact our Member services team, and they'll be able to liaise with our smart meters team.
You can message the team via WattBot in your app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Angela
​Is it communicating with the meter in other respects?
Is an electronic version of the instruction manual for the IHD available (a pdf)?
Angelabikerbabe;27640:
Hi, has anyone else had issues with the IHD?.
The needle in my electric display never moves, even when I'm using quite a lot. And the green light on the front never changes from green. I assume it is supposed to change to amber and red depending on usage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Angela
Maybe your idea of a lot and theirs differ...can you post a link to the online pdf?
Angelabikerbabe;27667:
Hi Woz, yes it seems to be communicating with the meter ok. It doesn't say anything on the booklet which came with it, and pdf online is the same.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks Angela
Angelabikerbabe;27717:
Hi Woz, here's the link
https://support.geotogether.com/en/support/solutions/articles/7000031050-trio-ii-touch-button-user-guide

I thought I had ssomething to do with the 'usage level' in the advanced menu, but there us no usage level button showing on my IHD
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Angelabikerbabe
hi Angela
is there a reset settings button under advanced settings?

Angelabikerbabe;27717:
Hi Woz, here's the link
https://support.geotogether.com/en/support/solutions/articles/7000031050-trio-ii-touch-button-user-guide

I thought I had ssomething to do with the 'usage level' in the advanced menu, but there us no usage level button showing on my IHD
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Jowl
I assume you mean the in-home-display?
Does the manual say you can power it from that socket?
Does the end of the power adapter (wall wart) go into that socket?
Does it come with a power lead for that purpose?
Jowl;28172:
Just looking at the meter and it uses 5v 1A USB. So should work in the power sockers with USB built-in. Which means I don't need the 3-pin wall wart :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Jowl,(why Jowl?)
I assume you mean the in-home-display?
Does the manual say you can power it from that socket?
Does the end of the power adapter (wall wart) go into that socket?
Does it come with a power lead for that purpose?
Jowl;28172:
Just looking at the meter and it uses 5v 1A USB. So should work in the power sockers with USB built-in. Which means I don't need the 3-pin wall wart :D
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Angela I think we can take it that if it bursts into flames you can blame @Marc...ahem...;)
go on I dare you...
Marc;28154:
Hi @Angelabikerbabe @woz
​Did you press the button?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi jelockwood
This is one for @Marc and/or members who are early adopters, I'm only responsible for starting the thread, but if any of the early adopters want to post a photo of their meters all welcome (obscure any serial numbers though).
​@Angelabikerbabe ??
jelockwood;30604:
@woz @Marc
Could you post pictures of the smart meters you are now installing?

I am considering buying an energy monitoring system which monitors gas usage by using an optical or magnetic sensor to capture information from the gas meter. However it may not be compatible with some types of meter.

See - https://www.smappee.com/uk/eshop/gas-water-monitor.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Thanks Angela
Angelabikerbabe;30631:
2239Hi, here is a couple of pics of my meters.2238
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@Marc
​Just a thought...Will the type of meter vary according to which DNO area you're in?
jelockwood;30604:
@woz @Marc
Could you post pictures of the smart meters you are now installing?

I am considering buying an energy monitoring system which monitors gas usage by using an optical or magnetic sensor to capture information from the gas meter. However it may not be compatible with some types of meter.

See - https://www.smappee.com/uk/eshop/gas-water-monitor.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
ahhh thanks Duppy, maybe we can get one person from every DNO area to post a photo...(if that's what defines the difference?)
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
I can only suppose it's on the supply side because it would revert to battery if the power was cut, but that is a wild guess.I think Mr Smart should supply a circuit diagram or block schematic:p then we can look for ourselves...
talldave;32071:
Is the comms hub on the network side of the meter? Ie the customer doesn't pay for the electricity it uses?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi thisperson
There may be solutions but my take on this is it's down to the installers to make sure you have a properly working system. Walking away without offereing you some form of solution or help is unacceptable (of course there may not be a solution...)
My advice is to put in a request via help for the installers to come back and find a way to fix it so it works (if there is a viable solution, perhaps configuring the transmit power or even a wired extension - who knows...)
Go to help in app or online , type message the team and ask. Please will you keep us updated? This is interesting.
thisperson;32266:
Is there a way to extend the IHD as the meters are reasonably far away and it can't connect with them from our flat, unfortunately.