Solved

Another smart meter IHD glitch?

• 3 November 2020
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

I believe I’ve found another bug with the Geo IHDs. Check out the following two photos, taken shortly after I got up a week ago.

Gas display: the daily standing charge (25.806p, the monthly membership fee / 31) appears to be applied at the beginning of the day for gas (note that the daily gas usage was only a few seconds of hot water + boiler pilot light at 7:12 am).

Electricity display: the daily standing charge has not been applied by 7:13 am.

I’ve also checked a couple of daily gas and electric usages in the bar charts, comparing kWh with £ (using the tariffs). The standing charge is added to the gas totals, but not to the electric!

@Marc, please pass on to Geo if they’re already not aware of this.

icon

Best answer by Nataly 16 November 2020, 18:13

Hi @schase @Duppy 

We have an update for you -

It looks like this is an issue that’s specific to some models of L+G electricity meter, and isn’t actually an issue with the IHD. 

Due to the nature of the issue, it’s not something we’d be able to go back and fix with an engineer visit, or something that can be fixed ‘over the air’. It’s just a case of being aware the daily standing charge isn’t showing for electricity. I’m really sorry about that one. 

Thanks for making us aware of the issue moving forward though @schase, that’s really helpful :pray:

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Interesting, I'll check mine in the morning and let you know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@schase Are you saying it’s never added to the Electric costings?

Userlevel 5
Badge

@schase Are you saying it’s never added to the Electric costings?

I haven’t done an exhaustive test, but it looks so--for the Geo IHD. I assume my bills are correct, though :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@schase 

Presumably it gets the info from the meter,  as uploaded by DCC?/PP - (happily) I don’t have one to interrogate but are there pages of info on the meter itself which tell you what info it has?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @schase 

It would seem that you are correct, my IHD electricity usage cost does not include the membership fee, it used to and I haven't recently had reason to check. The gas usage cost is inclusive of the MF.

I wonder if there has been a firmware update we are not aware of.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@schase

Presumably it gets the info from the meter,  as uploaded by DCC?/PP - (happily) I don’t have one to interrogate but are there pages of info on the meter itself which tell you what info it has?

I just had a look at the meter, and while amidst the myriad of data screens there’s some £ info that I think might be a running total for the monthly billing cycle, I don’t have the energy right now to figure this out, as the IHD uses the calendar month for running totals, out of sync with my billing cycle, which is from the 20th of the month.

Thanks for flagging this one @schase 

Smart team looking into it now! 

Hello again @schase 

Our smart meter team have just sent a tariff update to your meter. 
They've asked whether you could check it out tomorrow (Thurs)? And post another photo of the usage and cost graph on the elec at some point, too.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello again @schase 

Our smart meter team have just sent a tariff update to your meter. 
They've asked whether you could check it out tomorrow (Thurs)? And post another photo of the usage and cost graph on the elec at some point, too.

As requested by @Marc, more detailed information here. For true nerds only...

More gas & electricity graphs from first thing this morning (7:10 am). Gas graph includes standing charge, electricity one does not. Also checked this as I’m writing this, and the el. graph still doesn’t include the standing charge.

Also including snapshots of the tariffs on the IHD. Curiouser and curiouser: the gas standing charge has not changed, but the electricity standing charge has now increased from 25.806p to 26.666p. That looks like an error!

And snapshots of the actual electricity meter readings today:

• tariff appears to match the IHD and online account;
  • credit mode balance by my calcs appears in line with actual usage, including standing charge;
  • standing charge, I can’t tell, as it’s either rounded up from 25.806p or truncated from 26.666p
gas usage graph (IHD); includes standing charge

electricity usage graph (IHD); includes standing charge
gas tariff (IHD); daily standing charge 25.806p

electricity tariff (IHD); daily standing charge 26.666p; error?

electricity meter tariff

electricity meter credit mode balance; appears to include accumulated standing charge

electricity meter standing charge £0.26: rounded up from 25.806p or truncated from 26.666p

Hi @schase 

That’s really useful, thanks for providing such detailed information and photos! 

The guys in the smart team have checked them out and agree they think you’ve spotted a bug. They’ve found that weirdly enough it isn’t impacting all Geo IHDs - so they’ve passed this one through to Geo to investigate further. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @Nataly 

It's certainly affecting mine, as stated earlier in the thread

Hi @Nataly 

Noted, thanks @Duppy :thumbsup: 

One of the guys in the team actually has the exact same setup as @schase and it isn’t impacting his IHD, so it’s an odd one! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I've just noticed my tariff info on the IHD doesn't match my account info either

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Nataly 

Noted, thanks @Duppy :thumbsup: 

One of the guys in the team actually has the exact same setup as @schase and it isn’t impacting his IHD, so it’s an odd one! 

This is actually my second IHD; the first one was replaced 4 August, about 11 months after installation but about 4 months since it stopped receiving data from the comms box. I don't know whether the first one was exhibiting the odd behaviour I’ve documented in this post and a previous one about the IHD budgets (which was apparently also identified as a bug).

Hi @schase @Duppy 

It looks like this is an issue that’s specific to some models of L+G electricity meter, and isn’t actually an issue with the IHD. 

Due to the nature of the issue, it’s not something we’d be able to go back and fix with an engineer visit, or something that can be fixed ‘over the air’. It’s just a case of being aware the daily standing charge isn’t showing for electricity. I’m really sorry about that one. 

Thanks for making us aware of the issue moving forward though @schase, that’s really helpful :pray:

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @schase @Duppy 

Thanks for making us aware of the issue moving forward though @schase, that’s really helpful :pray:

To summarise, there are actually several apparent errors with the electricity readings; I wonder whether any of them could be rectified:

1. IHD: the electricity daily standing charge is incorrect in the Tariff section
  2. IHD: the electricity daily standing charge is not incorporated into the running totals on the graphs
  3. meter: possible error with the standing charge. It’s not clear from the amount shown what is actually stored, and whether the readout is rounding up from the correct standing charge for the account, or truncating the incorrect one seen on the IHD.

Hi @schase 

From the information we’ve received from Geo, it looks like the IHD graph total wouldn’t be fixable. 

I think (for points 1 and 3) the standing charge is correct, but is pro-rated for the number of days in the month (I believe the smart team have now also updated your gas standing charge for the month so they should both show the same now) :thumbsup:

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @schase 

From the information we’ve received from Geo, it looks like the IHD graph total wouldn’t be fixable. 

I think (for points 1 and 3) the standing charge is correct, but is pro-rated for the number of days in the month (I believe the smart team have now also updated your gas standing charge for the month so they should both show the same now) :thumbsup:

@Nataly , thanks for clearing that up. The IHD now shows the same (higher) daily charge for both gas and electric. Oh, the hardships of living in a month with only 30 days! The February daily charge must be astronomical :joy::joy::joy: