Solved

access to our smart meter is difficult

• 19 August 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi, I'm not signed up to Pure Energy yet because I'm worried about having to give monthly meter readings. We had a 2nd generation smart meter installed so we would not have to give readings but we live in a flat in a block and we're not given access to the cupboard. It seems not possible to use WattBot to ask questions before switching which is making me worried about communication.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Milly
icon

Best answer by woz 19 August 2019, 22:13

hi Milly
​hmmm, tough one...you really should have access to the cupboard when requested, and if that's refused you need to speak to the landlord or management committee to find out how they can facilitate getting readings for you when asked.
I suspect if you ask them to get readings for you regularly they will soon find a way to give you access so they don't have to be bothered. You may eventually be able to get the meter updated or replaced by PP, but initially when you switch it won't send the readings to PURE PLANET (you can't rely on a timescale for meter to send readings although you can request a S.Meter)

In the interim it really shouldn't stop you switching; your current provider, if they are getting readings will know your closing readings when you switch, and then, as long as you can arrange to be given access once a month, (ideally a couple of days before the statement date which is one month after you switch). If you miss one or it's late it won't matter, the statement will catch up on the next reading, it's not critical. Obviously regular readings are preferred for both your benefit and PP's, but it's not critical if they are sporadic.

​As far as communication is concerned that's via wattbot, if you need a member of the team to reply because it's account related type message the team and ask, you will get a reply, or post in the community, you'll usually get a reply pretty quickly. Staff do monitor here.
Don't let access to the meter stop you wherever you switch to. You are entitled to access one way or another.

mthompson;35809:
Hi, I'm not signed up to Pure Energy yet because I'm worried about having to give monthly meter readings. We had a 2nd generation smart meter installed so we would not have to give readings but we live in a flat in a block and we're not given access to the cupboard. It seems not possible to use WattBot to ask questions before switching which is making me worried about communication.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Milly
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Milly
​hmmm, tough one...you really should have access to the cupboard when requested, and if that's refused you need to speak to the landlord or management committee to find out how they can facilitate getting readings for you when asked.
I suspect if you ask them to get readings for you regularly they will soon find a way to give you access so they don't have to be bothered. You may eventually be able to get the meter updated or replaced by PP, but initially when you switch it won't send the readings to PURE PLANET (you can't rely on a timescale for meter to send readings although you can request a S.Meter)

In the interim it really shouldn't stop you switching; your current provider, if they are getting readings will know your closing readings when you switch, and then, as long as you can arrange to be given access once a month, (ideally a couple of days before the statement date which is one month after you switch). If you miss one or it's late it won't matter, the statement will catch up on the next reading, it's not critical. Obviously regular readings are preferred for both your benefit and PP's, but it's not critical if they are sporadic.

​As far as communication is concerned that's via wattbot, if you need a member of the team to reply because it's account related type message the team and ask, you will get a reply, or post in the community, you'll usually get a reply pretty quickly. Staff do monitor here.
Don't let access to the meter stop you wherever you switch to. You are entitled to access one way or another.

mthompson;35809:
Any ideas?
Thanks, Milly