A look back at 2019 and the world of smart meters

• 20 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Hey everyone,

With the end of 2019 fast approaching we thought it’s a great chance to share a look back at smart meters in 2019.

We began installing second generation smart (SMETS2) meters for our members at the beginning of 2019, and it’s fair to say we’ve uncovered quite a few industry-wide issues!

We’ve been treating it as a sort of pilot. There have been so many things learnt by our team here at Pure Planet, and in the industry more widely, that to have pretended it would have been as smooth as silk would have been wrong.

So, firstly, we’d like to say a big thank you to everyone in our community for your continued patience and understanding as we work to fix issues and improve your SMETS2 experience. It’s been a pilot project unlike any other, that’s for sure! 🙌

In 2019 we’ve...

Installed 5,392 SMETS2 meters for our Members.

Commissioned 88% of SMETS2 meters in the North and 96% in the South/ Central areas (in the world of smart meters, the North is defined as anywhere from Liverpool/Manchester and above).

We’re now spending on average just under two hours per smart meter installation. It’s fair to say the average installation time was a whole lot longer than this in the Summer - as we and our installation partner Magnum got to grips with new processes and procedures. So, it’s great to see the improvements made during the year. Installation time, and success first-time rates for each installation, with everything being transmitted from the smart meter as it should, will continue to be things we work to improve in 2020.

You can find regular updates about all things smart, and our progress with meter installations in the North, in our smart section.👍

All the great feedback you’ve given us this year has helped massively in helping us resolve issues, improve processes, and ultimately this is helping everyone else who follows.

And as we feel more and more confident that the early teething problems are being resolved, we’ll be looking to accelerate the numbers of meters we install for Members. For Members who’ve registered their interest - thank you. And if you haven’t registered to upgrade to a SMETS2 meter yet, please do. The more Members on SMETS2 the better: feedback will help us make further improvements to pre and post-installation experiences, and increases the number of smart readings we receive!

Is it still a sort of pilot? Not really. We’re treating the smart rollout as business as usual now. It’s still not without its challenges though. And, still, too many problems - which are now more industry-wide issues rather than to do with our processes - are happening to too many Members for our liking, for which we appreciate your understanding and patience.

Pure Planet being all-digital was made for smart. We can’t wait to share our exciting plans for smart-based services and smart upgrades we aim to introduce to our app next year. But more of that soon. So for now, we wish you a smart 2020!

You may also like: Pure Planet tech team update - what we did in 2019 and what's coming next in 2020!

7 replies

In answer to the SMETS2, we had one fitted by OVO last year before we changed to Purple Planet. In December we had a message saying that our supplier now is Purple Planet on ourthe SMETS message. Can you answer why we are still being asked to supply a meter reading for January.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Terry
does THIS help?

​​​​​​​https://community.purepla.net/content/297-do-l-need-to-send-meter-readings-with-a-smart-meter#ckb_start
Terry Suffolk;45383:
In answer to the SMETS2, we had one fitted by OVO last year before we changed to Purple Planet. In December we had a message saying that our supplier now is Purple Planet on ourthe SMETS message. Can you answer why we are still being asked to supply a meter reading for January.
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi Terry.
​​​​​​​as per the link woz posted, my smart meters were fitted in May, I am still being asked for meter readings, and looking at the info in my app meter rest, I am not expecting it to change any time soon
Any timescale to fix the installations made during the summer that are still not working been waiting a long time now.
Hi @KevinandSylvie

It's worth opening WattBot and typing 'IHD problem' - he'll collect some info from you and pass this on to the team.

It'd also be worth mentioning if previous remote connections haven't worked.

Unfortunately issues with connectivity in the North are ongoing (this is affecting many suppliers) - the team will be able to check your location and the firmware of your IHD to give an update on next steps👍
We have reported this via wot other a number of times.

Magnum got the original installation wrong and could only install electricity meter.

It worked and IHD displayed the reading.

When they tried to sort out the gas they knocked off the electric.

Pure gave us compensation for the installation problems but still haven’t addressed the issues it’s caused.

Reporting via Wotbot just results in the same message that there is an industry problem with IHD’s. We have been promised a new IHD when they are available but I doubt that will fix the issue as the IHD was working until the gas installation.

It’s been 6 months now and we are still nowhere. When we originally volunteered I asked if initial trials had gone well and was told yes and that teething issues were resolved.

Requests to raise this as a complaint are ignored by Pure.

we also now have concerns that the meters are not accurate as energy usage seems to have shot up since they were installed.

Bottom line is Magnum engineers didn’t have a clue when they first installed these and Pure don’t seem to be managing them very well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
KevinandSylvie;47531:
We have reported this via wot other a number of times.

Magnum got the original installation wrong and could only install electricity meter.

It worked and IHD displayed the reading.

When they tried to sort out the gas they knocked off the electric.

Pure gave us compensation for the installation problems but still haven’t addressed the issues it’s caused.

Reporting via Wotbot just results in the same message that there is an industry problem with IHD’s. We have been promised a new IHD when they are available but I doubt that will fix the issue as the IHD was working until the gas installation.

It’s been 6 months now and we are still nowhere. When we originally volunteered I asked if initial trials had gone well and was told yes and that teething issues were resolved.

Requests to raise this as a complaint are ignored by Pure.

we also now have concerns that the meters are not accurate as energy usage seems to have shot up since they were installed.

Bottom line is Magnum engineers didn’t have a clue when they first installed these and Pure don’t seem to be managing them very well.

Hi Kevin and Sylvie

I can't begin to understand how frustrating this must have been. So I'm hoping that this response doesn't increase the frustration...

In the light of @Nataly response a few days ago:

1. Have you contacted Wattbot in the way she suggested? I'm guessing you may have done, but I thought it was worth checking.

2. In what way are Pure Planet ignoring your complaint request? Have you filled in the complaints form accessed via the link at the bottom of the app screen?

3. Are you sending in monthly readings from your meters themselves? Are they showing a significant increase as against the usage from this time last year?

If you can post back with the answers to these questions, I'm sure more help will be forthcoming.

Best wishes
​​​​​​​Stephen