News

We’re building new ‘household’ pages for the Pure Planet app and we’re looking for Members to help us test prototypes

We’re building new ‘household’ pages for the Pure Planet app and we’re looking for Members to help us test prototypes
  • Community Manager
  • 5493 replies

Hi everyone, 

Pure Futures is looking for some Community members to provide feedback on some app designs all about managing and improving the energy efficiency of your home.

We're looking for six to eight Members to spend about 60 minutes each with our designers to look at different options. You’ll be looking and testing new features aimed at showing more information on your energy usage at home and how to make it more energy efficient, as well as how it might integrate with other tools such as smart thermostats.

You don't need to be familiar with energy efficiency or have any ‘smart’ home features to take part. In fact, we'd like a mix of Members to take part.

The testing is being carried out over several days starting from Tuesday, 10 August.

It’s a similar set-up to the previous testing we carried out earlier this year to build the app, when Community Members took part in tests of menu options, homepage designs, and carbon offsetting features.

If you're interested in helping out, please fill out this form. You'll see that it has a few questions about where you live and what kind of accommodation you live in. This is because we’re keen to test these features with a range of Members. 

The testing is being run by our technology partners at bp, and designers at Fierce Creative, so we’ll need your permission to share your name and email address with them. You’ll also receive a £25 Amazon voucher for helping us out and giving up an hour of your time!

To take part you'll need a desktop computer, as the prototypes may not work 100% on mobile or tablet, but you won't need to switch on your video camera, just a microphone is fine. 

If you’re chosen to take part, you’ll hear back from the design team by the end of next week. They’ll let you know the time slots available and give you instructions on how to get started. 

Because we're looking for a mix of testers, it's possible that not everyone who offers to help will get an invite. It’s not personal! 

We’ve got more features to be added over the next few months, and we’ll be looking to ask for Community feedback as we go along.

Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies below. Remember, you do not need to have a ‘smart’ home already to take part. 

Here’s another link to the form in case you missed it.

Update Fri 6 Aug

Well. This is embarrassing. Huge apologies to everyone - due to a slight breakdown in communication and some team absences through sickness, I’m sorry to report that we need to delay this testing by a few weeks.

Once I’ve got new dates confirmed I will of course post back here with an update. 

Sorry again for this, very short notice and not cool. :zipper_mouth:

18 replies

Thanks to those who’ve put their names down for this. We’re short of a few Members, so please do step add your name to the form I’ve linked to, even if you’ve helped with testing before!

Much appreciated :raised_hands:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Wonder why all the anonymity this time round? 🤷‍♀️They should be proud to be taking part, and volunteering to help 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I've signed up 👍

Wonder why all the anonymity this time round? 🤷‍♀️They should be proud to be taking part, and volunteering to help 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Alas not everyone can @Bev for example if you don’t have a desktop computer.

And some may be away on holiday! Or working. 

It’s all good - we don’t want to force anyone!!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Indeed, like me our Marc. Sorry, it might have read wrong, was thinking people HAD volunteered but done it by DM, and was wondering why they hadn’t been proud to volunteer openly on the forum. I think it was the opposite of how you read it, my mistake our Marc.

I should have written “…….proud to be taking part, and PROUD TO BE volunteering to help”. Yes my bad wording. Sounded like an instruction for people to volunteer! Far from it hee 🤣🤣🤣 -  who would I be to instruct hee. No no. Far from it. Gosh never, that’s not me. Just encouraging to publicly volunteer, as opposed to private message, that's all 👍🙃😉

Bit too much personal info needed in this one for me. Didn’t want to own up to being even older than @Bev!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Bit too much personal info needed in this one for me. Didn’t want to own up to being even older than @Bev!

Ah that’s really good feedback there @25 quid I don’t mean about being older than @Bev (though clearly nobody would want to admit that….:laughing: ) I did wonder if we were asking a few too many questions about age/location etc etc. It’s only to help our testers get a good sample of people. It’s not data that’s going to be held on you. It’s important we get a variety of people taking part. 

But I can see why it might look a bit overkill. 

@Bev may have you believe she is of ancient years but she isn’t. I have worked her age out! She is young!

@Marc I can’t remember now if I signed up. Can you check? I think I did but not sure and it may mess things up if I do it again.

@25 quid I don’t see the personal data asked for intrusive. It is not something that is not available if one searches around. For the sort of info PP is looking at a user’s age, location, type of property is important and no doubt in due course the app can log things like “I switched the kettle on” such that in time we may get that long awaited personal database of usage which is more useful than the IHD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You've made my Thursday our Rich! 👍👍👍👍😁😁😁😁”young” 😳😳😳😳I’ll take that! 👍👏😊😊

I don’t care if they know I’m decrepit, I didn’t sign up because:

I can’t guarantee I’ll be available that day at the moment.

I don’t have a webcam on my desktop PC if one’s needed.

I believe having the same people doing the testing over and over could lead to biased results.

@Gwyndy I am not convinced it will produce bias for the experience will teach a user what to look for. However, it will always help to have fresh faces. I have been on a beta testing panel for a well known manufacturer for some years. Both an app and product are tested. We see the same people posting comments, ideas, reporting bugs but never a semblance of bias but good constructive input all the time. We pick up issues, find solutions, from our every day domestic use of the product which normal testing would not provide.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I wonder why I could partake in the first testing, via iPad, but no longer 🤷‍♀️. Really enjoyed giving feedback, wouldn’t want a reward, just enjoy it. Desktops quite antiquated, pity have to have one to do this. Do understand tho, as probably easier to discuss with video and voices rather than having to send endless differentbscreenshots etc, yes so makes sense. 

Yes agree, variety is the key in samples, to ensure unbiased views, and a different demographic each time. 

Do love these regular feedback test things those, and be good to see regular results 👍👍👍

I am sure I signed up on my iPad. I don’t use the PP app much. Only to check readings and coming straight on to the web site is much easier.

@Bev Just tried the link to the form on my iPad and no problems. Having seen the form yes, I remember completing it now. Having seen the form again I cannot see there should be a problem for anybody giving the information requested. Name, age, location, experience, email. There is no issue providing that at all for anybody.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks our Rich, but it’s the actual feedback on the day, as requires a little deskytop. Do have one, but it’s very old now so do everything via iphone and iPad. I don’t mind, I can give feedback here for other things. Just pity as did live the first one, but hopefully enough people will come forward now, maybe even newbies, and there should be enough 👍😉

A big thanks to everyone who’s offered to help. Form’s now closed, look out for an email  to confirm timings! 

Have a fantastic weekend too :smile:

Well. This is embarrassing. Huge apologies to everyone - due to a slight breakdown in communication and some team absences through sickness, I’m sorry to report that we need to delay this testing by a few weeks.

Once I’ve got new dates confirmed I will of course post back here with an update. 

Sorry again for this, very short notice and not cool. :zipper_mouth: