Pure Planet’s EV pilot - end of phase one, more news and testing coming soon

• Community Manager
  • 5493 replies

Hi everyone

I’ve got an update to share with you about the progress of our Pure Planet EV pilot.

Thanks to the dozens of Members who have been helping us with the first phase of it, which was to help us understand EV drivers’ charging patterns better.

Over the past few months you’ve been really supportive in helping us to collect charging data. We’re especially grateful for your help, as we’d originally planned to do this automatically via new smart meters, but the sudden arrival of Covid-19 put a stop to new installations, so you’ve been manually filling out charging sheets for us. Thank you for this. 👍

Here’s a snapshot of some of the data we’ve been able to collect:

EV charging increase as ‘lockdown’ lifts (graph shows number of EVs charging in a half-hour block, averaged over the day)

EV charging by time of day

EV charging by day of week

Combined time of day and day of week

We can see some obvious trends around time-of-day and also time-of-week, which is really useful.

This means we're going to end phase 1 of the pilot. So those of you who’ve been heroically recording every charge of your EV, can stop updating the charging sheets! Give yourselves a big pat on the back!

If you remember from when we announced the EV pilot way back in March, we’re planning five phases.

Phase 1. Understanding charging patterns, times and frequency.

Phase 2. Testing different EV tariffs.

Phase 3. Home charger installations. This will be working with Pure Planet Members who are about to buy or lease their first EV, and need a home charger installed.

Phase 4. Out and about. Looking at charging options when on the road.

Phase 5. Time of use. The final phase will help us understand how to make better use of smart meter technology, and how best EVs can automatically be charged when wholesale prices are low, and charging paused if there’s a hike in price. The same principles can be tested for charging against the lowest carbon intensity of the grid. . We’d also like to look into integration with home batteries for energy storage, too.

So this means the next phase in our pilot will be testing different EV tariffs.
We’re expecting the first of these to be ready for internal testing soon, and we’ll definitely be looking for Members to help us with feedback before we offer them to all.

During the Phase 1, we’ve also been able to get to know our EV-driving Members a little bit more, and we’re chuffed that some of you have offered to help us design some new EV-buying and journey planning tools. Sorry if our design team hasn’t yet been in touch - they’re planning to contact most of you within the next three weeks or so to set these up.

Finally, we know that we’ve also promised SMETS2 smart meters to EV pilot members who don’t currently have them. We haven’t forgotten! Once our smart meter partner Magnum Utilities is able to start installing them again, you’ll be added to a priority list, which also includes our Members whose appointments were cancelled due to Covid-19.

We don’t have an exact date yet for when installations will re-start, but we’re looking at early July.

That’s it for now. Again, a massive thank you for helping us so far. A big shout out to community members in the pilot: @Brunel @forceword @Winiman @Eastbath @Makdoc @greenstripe @GarethHorne @Capt RAF @Stealth @Jane and Mo @matthewr @andyseal – looking forward to chatting soon! 😀

Pilot update August 2020: Half-hourly readings and new web page designs

Update September 2020: New EV web pages live, home charger partnership announced, EV tariff latest

18 replies

Badge
Thanks for posting the charts - very interesting!
Badge
Good to see the results of the pilot, I'm surprised so few charge overnight, I'd have thought most people would have wanted to start the day with a full charge.

I'd never had guessed it would start to pick up from 8 AM in the morning and not really drop until 11 in the evening, fascinating.

I wonder if the effect of home solar is skewing the data? It's been a very good spring for those with panels on their roofs, and with lockdown I guess more and more folk were at home, not using the car and could leave it to trickle charge off solar. It'd be interesting to see a similar study from the depths of winter and more people are out at work.
Badge
Marc

Thanks for the update. Like Gareth I'm also surprised at the extent of daytime charging. More research would be required to understand why that is. The use of "free" surplus domestically generated PV electricity is certainly a good candidate for the reason, in which case an EV focussed tariff might not have a strong influence on behaviour, particularly now, in summer. This charging pattern could be completely different in winter when surplus energy from domestic PV won't be so available.

All that aside, I look forward to seeing what is in the proposed PurePlanet EV tariff.
Hi @GarethHorne @matthewr
Yep, you both make a good observation that some of the charging will be coming from Members' own source, not from the grid. We know that some of our EV-driving Members have solar panels.

We also wonder how much of it is driven by the fact that on our variable rate there's no 'penalty' for charging at peak times?
Like Gareth and Matthew I am surprised by the results. Is the plan to continue the trial post lockdown? I normally do 22,000 miles a year but have done less than 500 in the last 3 months so I’m sure the timing of the trial has skewed the results with lots of people working from home.
​​​​​​​
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Or to slightly rephrase your reply @Marc
my words and not those of PP
"We also wonder how much of it is driven by the fact that on our variable rate there's no incentive for charging at off-peak times"
​​​​​​​see what I did there...
Marc;56647:
Hi @GarethHorne @matthewr
Yep, you both make a good observation that some of the charging will be coming from Members' own source, not from the grid. We know that some of our EV-driving Members have solar panels.

We also wonder how much of it is driven by the fact that on our variable rate there's no 'penalty' for charging at peak times?
woz;57013:
Or to slightly rephrase your reply @Marc
my words and not those of PP
"We also wonder how much of it is driven by the fact that on our variable rate there's no incentive for charging at off-peak times"
​​​​​​​see what I did there...

Indeed @woz
​​​​​​​😀
EV Doubter;56990:
Like Gareth and Matthew I am surprised by the results. Is the plan to continue the trial post lockdown? I normally do 22,000 miles a year but have done less than 500 in the last 3 months so I’m sure the timing of the trial has skewed the results with lots of people working from home.
​​​​​​​

Hi @EV Doubter
Welcome to the community!
Thanks for getting stuck in.
We're now looking at putting together some EV tariffs which we'll be asking Members for feedback on.
See 'phase 2' above 👆
Interesting username by the way. Are you an EV driver?

Hi, just to add my voice as an ev driver and also owner of pv panels. Normally I charge the car overnight, but lockdown completely reversed this as it’s cheaper to charge in the daytime for me especially due to the solar pv and sunshine. Working from home not only city my mileage to less than a tenth of my usual, but also completely reversed my charging habits. 

Hi, just to add my voice as an ev driver and also owner of pv panels. Normally I charge the car overnight, but lockdown completely reversed this as it’s cheaper to charge in the daytime for me especially due to the solar pv and sunshine. Working from home not only city my mileage to less than a tenth of my usual, but also completely reversed my charging habits. 

Hi @Greengirl Nice one for posting, and welcome to the community! :smiley:

In this instance the energy is going directly from panels to car, right? No storage involved?

Hi @Marc ,

Thanks for the update. Please please could you consider those with Economy 7 meters as part of the EV pilot? These already offer the potential of differential day/night rates at a time/price to be determined by the supplier. Most suppliers, yourselves and Octopus included, are requiring people to have a Smart Meter installed in order to have an EV tariff. For many of us this is not good news as we are very skeptical of Smart Meters given the well documented fiasco of rollout by the Government. Once you get a smart meter installed, there’s no going back and the market could shift to variable/surge pricing in the future as the % of green energy rises - making it both unpredictable and potentially expensive. Please please give people the flexibility to keep their Economy 7 meter and still benefit from an EV tariff - it would be a game changer in the market. For most of us as long as the car is at home we will charge it at whatever time is cheapest - most cars have a timer you can set to charge at specific hours anyway. Thanks for raising this with those involved in the pilot.

Hi @helpplease 

could you consider those with Economy 7 meters as part of the EV pilot

For the first phase (now finished) that would have been fine, as we were asking EV drivers to help out by completing some charging sheets for us. So we could look at charging habits.

But for future EV tariffs these are going to be dependent on smart meters. 

It’s important, of course, that it works. We agree with you there.

Hi everyone

I’ve got an update to share with you about the progress of our Pure Planet EV pilot.

Thanks to the dozens of Members who have been helping us with the first phase of it, which was to help us understand EV drivers’ charging patterns better.

Over the past few months you’ve been really supportive in helping us to collect charging data. We’re especially grateful for your help, as we’d originally planned to do this automatically via new smart meters, but the sudden arrival of Covid-19 put a stop to new installations, so you’ve been manually filling out charging sheets for us. Thank you for this. 👍

Here’s a snapshot of some of the data we’ve been able to collect:

EV charging increase as ‘lockdown’ lifts (graph shows number of EVs charging in a half-hour block, averaged over the day)

EV charging by time of day

EV charging by day of week

Combined time of day and day of week

We can see some obvious trends around time-of-day and also time-of-week, which is really useful.

This means we're going to end phase 1 of the pilot. So those of you who’ve been heroically recording every charge of your EV, can stop updating the charging sheets! Give yourselves a big pat on the back!

If you remember from when we announced the EV pilot way back in March, we’re planning five phases.

Phase 1. Understanding charging patterns, times and frequency.

Phase 2. Testing different EV tariffs.

Phase 3. Home charger installations. This will be working with Pure Planet Members who are about to buy or lease their first EV, and need a home charger installed.

Phase 4. Out and about. Looking at charging options when on the road.

Phase 5. Time of use. The final phase will help us understand how to make better use of smart meter technology, and how best EVs can automatically be charged when wholesale prices are low, and charging paused if there’s a hike in price. The same principles can be tested for charging against the lowest carbon intensity of the grid. . We’d also like to look into integration with home batteries for energy storage, too.

So this means the next phase in our pilot will be testing different EV tariffs.
We’re expecting the first of these to be ready for internal testing soon, and we’ll definitely be looking for Members to help us with feedback before we offer them to all.

During the Phase 1, we’ve also been able to get to know our EV-driving Members a little bit more, and we’re chuffed that some of you have offered to help us design some new EV-buying and journey planning tools. Sorry if our design team hasn’t yet been in touch - they’re planning to contact most of you within the next three weeks or so to set these up.

Finally, we know that we’ve also promised SMETS2 smart meters to EV pilot members who don’t currently have them. We haven’t forgotten! Once our smart meter partner Magnum Utilities is able to start installing them again, you’ll be added to a priority list, which also includes our Members whose appointments were cancelled due to Covid-19.

We don’t have an exact date yet for when installations will re-start, but we’re looking at early July.

That’s it for now. Again, a massive thank you for helping us so far. A big shout out to community members in the pilot: @Brunel @forceword @Winiman @Eastbath @Makdoc @greenstripe @GarethHorne @Capt RAF @Stealth @Jane and Mo @matthewr @andyseal – looking forward to chatting soon! 😀

How can I participate? I drive EV and would like to be part.

Hi @Hrishi 

Welcome to the community!

How can I participate? I drive EV and would like to be part.

What kind of EV do you drive?

(Head on over to this Google form too to put yourself down for future pilot stuff) :relaxed:

I filled that form last night. I drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Thanks 

Hrishi

Hi folks

I’ve posted an EVs pilot update over here.

Featuring news on half-hourly readings, and new web designs :thumbsup:

Hi, just in the process of buying an EV. Would be happy to be part of any Pure Planet trial for EV tariff.

Thanks, Peter

Thanks @Bluepeter :relaxed:

Out of interest/curiosity, what EV are you getting?

I bet you’re excited!