Pure Planet launches new solar panels and home battery pilot with Lightsource Labs

Pure Planet launches new solar panels and home battery pilot with Lightsource Labs

Hi everyone,

Some exciting news!

We’ve launched a new rooftop solar PV and home battery storage pilot with our friends at Lightsource Labs (the part of Lightsource bp focussed on innovation). We’ll be running the pilot over the summer to test the installation and optimisation of the technology.

This Pure Futures initiative will allow our Members to generate and store their own renewable electricity at home.

The partnership will also make use of Lightsource Labs’ home energy management technology – Tribe – and cloud-based Virtual Power Plant (VPP) platform to monitor and optimise live energy generation, storage and usage. Using the systems as part of a VPP means that Pure Planet can aggregate each individual storage system together into a ‘power plant’ and operate them to reduce the cost of supplying electricity and help balance the grid. We think VPPs could play an important part in getting the UK to net zero.

The solar PV will mean our Members can generate more renewable energy; the battery means it can be stored; and the energy management tech means it can then be used most efficiently.

Tribe home energy management

We’re planning to run the trial of the technology this summer and autumn, before offering the service to Pure Planet Members next year. We’ll use the pilot to test how it’s used and get insights and feedback from our Community.

The initial pilot is being run among some of the Pure Planet team and our Members. If you’d be interested in taking part, simply leave a reply below and we’ll be in touch when there’s more details to share on how to apply.

We’ll be sharing regular trial updates from Members and the PP team right here in the Community, as well as on the Pure Planet blog and our social media accounts, too. 

You can read a bit more about the announcement in our press release too.

Read more

Update - 9 Sep 2021

Hi everyone who has replied so far to express an interest. 

​Phase 1 of the pilot is going well. The five participants have had the solar panels and battery for more than a month. 

We’re currently testing some different scenarios, whereby we’re using the panels to generate solar power in the mornings and early afternoons, and then the battery to export energy back to the grid at peak times (ie early evening) and modelling how this, at scale, would result in savings for both our Members and Pure Planet too. 

Phase 2, which is the bit you’ll all be most interested in I’m guessing :wink:  is when we include some Pure Planet Members with new installations, usage/testing. There’ll be much, much more info on this to come, but I just wanted to give an outline of key dates (all subject to change, of course!).

November - we’re aiming to publish a page on the Pure Planet website with a bit more detail about the next phase of the pilot, and a summary of what we will have learned so far. This may have some explainer videos, too, to bring it all to life a bit.

December - we’re planning to host a video webinar thingy (Zoom?) to go over what the pilot will entail, what we’ll need from you in terms of pre-install info about your property, and answer your questions

January/February - this is when we’ll open applications to take part.

I hope that’s useful. Those of you who’ve said you already have the panels, but would be interested in the battery, no decision on that just yet, but stay tuned.  

As mentioned above, there’ll be more info posted in the community over the coming weeks. But just wanted you all to know you’ve not been forgotten! :relaxed:

152 replies

Userlevel 2

Yes please!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Definitely interested, (although I might need to have the house rotated...)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Definitely interested 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Is this only open to those that already have solar panels?, if not, I'm interested.

Yes plz

Is this only open to those that already have solar panels?, if not, I'm interested.

Good question @Duppy! We’re still figuring out the details for the trial (so aren’t excluding those with/ without solar panels either way at this point) - so if you’re interested, let us know! :grinning:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Good question @Duppy! We’re still figuring out the details for the trial (so aren’t excluding those with/ without solar panels either way at this point) - so if you’re interested, let us know! :grinning:

I'm interested

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Good question @Duppy! We’re still figuring out the details for the trial (so aren’t excluding those with/ without solar panels either way at this point) - so if you’re interested, let us know! :grinning:

I'm interested

Me too, but I don't have solar panels atm

Interested, but don’t have panels atm

I’d love to take part, and have Solor Panels already if it helps.

Thanks everyone for commenting with your interest so far. All replies are being noted! :sunny:

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I wasn’t considering moving at some in the next few months or so I would be shouting from the hills.  I guess I should look forward, shift my view point and become gizmo friendly as things roll on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don’t have any panels at the moment, but have been thinking that the flat roof of my garage would be a good site. I’d love to be a Pure Planet guinea pig! 😎

I’m definitely interested as I already have solar panels and I’ve been looking into batteries to store the electricity we generate. Would be great to be part of the trial.

Siobhan Grimshaw

Interested. We do NOT have solar panels (because its dull/raining/snowing) for 300+ days per year, but I’ve been looking into battery storage to buy cheap and use at expensive periods (aka Octopus). Would dearly love to use our EV as the battery but CCS does not yet permit it. Would be great to be part of the trial.

I am interested, let me know if you want me! 

Will be moving to a house with solar panels shortly, so very interested in taking part. 

Very interested in this.

Badge

I’m interested . No panels at the moment 

Userlevel 1

Would love to join pilot.

Getting solar panels installed in 4 weeks - very exciting

Userlevel 1

Already have Solar panels and feed in tariff. My brother has just had Battery back up installed in his home and am monitoring that. Am interested in doing the same for ourselves.

Userlevel 1

I am interested in the battery pilot. 

I have a 4Kw of solar PV and a SEG account. The installation includes a solar iboost which uses  solar power to help heat the hot water.  I have recently installed an air source heat pump which has replaced our gas heating system.  

Userlevel 1

At the moment the rules state that when there is a power cut the solar panels are closed down. Normally in summer when solar is on and in full use this doesn’t happen (storms don’t happen on sunny days here). however if on battery power possibly in mid winter and there is a power cut, will battery power be cut off as well or is there a get around to keep it running?

Iwould like to give it a try please

Yes please