Pure Planet EVs pilot - August 2020 update

• 6 August 2020
  • 35 replies

• Community Manager
  • 6161 replies

Hi everyone

A quick update on the latest goings-on with our Pure Planet EVs pilot.

Since we shared some of the data from Members’ driving patterns we’ve started work behind the scenes on building some EV-specific services for you.

We’re working on a tariff, of course, as well as partnerships for home charger installations and public ‘on the road’ charging.

And we’ve also got some exciting EV and smart home related news to announce soon, so watch this space!

Right now there’s two things to share.

Firstly, thanks to our smart meter (2nd generation) installations getting back up to speed, following a pause during the first months of the Covid-19 pandemic, we’re able to start taking half-hourly readings from Members of the EV pilot.

With this data we can start to model different EV tariffs, to see how much it will cost and how many savings you’ll make, and of course how we can balance demand/performance. 

Secondly, thanks to your input, we’ve been designing some new EV information pages and tools for the Pure Planet website.

They’re not live yet, but here’s a sneak peek at what’s coming, including an EV comparison tool.

Pure Planet EV benefits webpage

If you’ve offered to help test the new web pages, and haven’t heard from us yet, you may well be getting an email soon! 

That’s it for now! Thaks for checking out. :relaxed:

Update September 2020: New EV pages on web, home charger partner announced, EV tariff latest

35 replies

Badge

Marc

That all sounds interesting.   You may recall that I am in the process of getting a pv array and a battery installed as part of renovating the roof of my house.  This work is now scheduled for completion mid October 2020.  Will PP have an SEG tariff in place or for trial within that timescale?

Kind Regards

Matthew

Hey @matthewr 

Sounds exciting! Yep, we’ll be in trial stage by then I should imagine.

We’ll be formally offering SEG from Jan 2021 so timings look pretty good for you to be involved :thumbsup:

Badge

Thanks.  I hope we can get the timings to mesh and look forward to hearing from you.

Hi,  I have just ordered an EV with a predicted arrival of 4-5 months’ time. I would like to be involved in your Phase 3 pilot, as timing may be OK for getting a home charger installed. Should I fill out the same form as for the Phase 1 pilot? Thanks.

Hi, I’m a 3-year Pure Planet customer in south Manchester. My house has an up-to-date smart meter (though the gas side doesn’t work). I’m fortunate enough to have a private drive.

I work as a driving instructor.  I currently run my teaching cars on LPG.  I’m almost certainly going to upgrade to an EV in 2.5 to 3 years’ time.

I’ll definitely want it to have vehicle-to-grid capability. For me, that’s a deal-breaker. I’ll also be seriously interested in battery-buffering.  It seems to be the right thing to do.

Please keep me informed on progress.

Hi,  I have just ordered an EV with a predicted arrival of 4-5 months’ time. I would like to be involved in your Phase 3 pilot, as timing may be OK for getting a home charger installed. Should I fill out the same form as for the Phase 1 pilot? Thanks.

Yes, please do @Morell 

Here’s a link :relaxed:

Hi Marc,

This is all great news and I’m looking forward to seeing the detail.

I have just taken delivery of my wife’s hybrid and my one is arriving in a couple of months time. I was doing some research online to see what energy suppliers are offering better off peak prices specifically for EV’s and I’m really interested in when the EV tariff will be ready.? Are we talking weeks, months or well into next year as this will shape my decision on whether to move supplier now or wait.

Any guidance on time-lines would be appreciated.

Do you have a timeframe for introducing the EV tariff? Other suppliers e.g. Octopus already offer it (5p a unit overnight) so a huge saving compared to what we pay with Pure Planet right now.

Thanks

Sita

Do you have a timeframe for introducing the EV tariff? Other suppliers e.g. Octopus already offer it (5p a unit overnight) so a huge saving compared to what we pay with Pure Planet right now.

Thanks

Sita

Hello @Sita 

Don’t quote me (well OK yes you can but you know what I mean) but I’d say we’re looking at late Sep/Oct. And of course we’ll want to offer something better. :thumbsup:

All sorts of stuff could happen which might change that…. But hey October’s just two months away. And we’d be working with some Members on testing that beforehand.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I have just taken delivery of my wife’s hybrid and my one is arriving in a couple of months time

@zorace Great stuff. A pair of hybrids or are you going ‘full EV’?

Thanks

Sita

Hello @Sita 

Don’t quote me (well OK yes you can but you know what I mean) but I’d say we’re looking at late Sep/Oct. And of course we’ll want to offer something better. :thumbsup:

All sorts of stuff could happen which might change that…. But hey October’s just two months away. And we’d be working with some Members on testing that beforehand.

Anyway, hope this helps.

I have just taken delivery of my wife’s hybrid and my one is arriving in a couple of months time

@zorace Great stuff. A pair of hybrids or are you going ‘full EV’?

Hybrid as well… although I hope to only use mine in electric mode Mon - Fri as mine has a genuine 50 mile range on electric only - which should be enough for all my local needs -)

We have now taken delivery of our Kia e-Niro and also have a chargepoint fitted at home. Is there any possibility of getting a SMETS2 meter fitted so we can be part of the trial? We’re in the Scottish Highlands. Cheers Richard

Nice to see that this has traction - around 2 yrs ago when previously a customer (moved a few firms since then) I asked about the EV Tariff as was buying a PHEV. Back with pure now, so good to see this is progressing. Happy to be on any test team if needed.

Are you still looking for people to join your pilot scheme? We have had an electric Golf since March and have just switched to Pure Planet so are interested in what plans you have for EV owners.

Nice to see that this has traction...

Bravo! 🥁

Userlevel 2

Hi @Marc ,

Waiting for my switch to PP to go through (11 days to go! Yay!), just had a Tesla 3 delivered. Signed up to support the pilot, I guess I would be an ideal candidate for phase 3 now but haven’t heard anything yet. Hoping I can help - never normally win In a raffle though! 😂

Ref EV tariffs, please don’t do what the others do by making their night time prices cheaper by hiking their daytime ones!

Shawn

P.S. 100amp fuse and 25mm tails already in place as it’s a newer house 👍🏼

Hi @Marc ,

Waiting for my switch to PP to go through (11 days to go! Yay!), just had a Tesla 3 delivered. Signed up to support the pilot, I guess I would be an ideal candidate for phase 3 now but haven’t heard anything yet. Hoping I can help - never normally win In a raffle though! 😂

Ref EV tariffs, please don’t do what the others do by making their night time prices cheaper by hiking their daytime ones!

Shawn

Tesla 3? Jealous….. :grimacing:  How are you finding it @Sbeagen ?

Userlevel 3

I find I don’t charge enough overnight to make the increased daytime worth it, especially at the moment, but interested in what PP come up with.

I’ve just mentioned this in a different thread, but the night time charging is also helping to balance the grid, which I’m lead to believe is good. Now the question is, do the National Grid sell PP cheaper electricity in those off peak times. If so, would a night time tariff mean a price increase during the day?

Userlevel 2

Hi @Marc ,

Shawn

Tesla 3? Jealous….. :grimacing:  How are you finding it @Sbeagen ?

Absolutely loving it. Although I’m restricted on where and when I can go innit due to holiday quarantine 😂

Still getting to know it - used its autopilot feature yesterday whilst popping to the corner shop for essential bread and milk - be brilliant on motorways, a little jerky on side roads!

Trialled the normal 3-pin plug charging option yesterday as well. Just over 2 hours for 10% charge approx 25 miles @ 2kw. Interested to see what the difference would be with the different home charging options - hopefully as part of your trial 👍🏼 

I find I don’t charge enough overnight to make the increased daytime worth it, especially at the moment, but interested in what PP come up with.

Hi @TonyHoyle 

Nice one for getting stuck in.

Are you an EV driver? And is that due to fewer miles (I imagine Covid-19 and lockdown related?)

Userlevel 3

Covid has really dropped my driving as mostly it got done at weekends where I’d go places (commute is only 5 miles each way).  I can go two weeks at the moment between charges at present - and am still in the free supercharger period until mid next year (6 months per referral and I lucked out) so less incentive to charge at home.

Also, with my wife being at home all day and the computers tending to be on 24/7 there isn’t much differentiation between by daytime and evening use anyway.. hence I don’t benefit from time of day tariffs in other ways either.

Covid has really dropped my driving as mostly it got done at weekends where I’d go places (commute is only 5 miles each way).  I can go two weeks at the moment between charges at present - and am still in the free supercharger period until mid next year (6 months per referral and I lucked out) so less incentive to charge at home.

Interesting stuff @TonyHoyle Your charging sounds about the same as mine, once a fortnight. Pre-lockdown I was averaging about three times a week.

Also, with my wife being at home all day and the computers tending to be on 24/7 there isn’t much differentiation between by daytime and evening use anyway.. hence I don’t benefit from time of day tariffs in other ways either.

We’re looking at an EV tariff and it’ll be available quite soon. We’re not interested in ‘penalising’ daytime usage as a result of a cheaper night tariff.

We now have 2 EVs. That’s a total of ~90kWhs of batteries to be charged at home 2-3 times a week.

Looking forward to your EV tariff! I just need a cheap overnight rate please :)

Other utility providers already offer this, but I’d like to stick with Pure Planet.

Badge

Hey @matthewr 

Sounds exciting! Yep, we’ll be in trial stage by then I should imagine.

We’ll be formally offering SEG from Jan 2021 so timings look pretty good for you to be involved :thumbsup:

Marc

I now have a pv install date of 20/21 October.  Is PP anywhere near trialling SEG tarrifs and smart or offpeak tariffs?

Hey @matthewr 

Great stuff, exciting times for you! It’s going to be 2021 for us, but of course anyone on supply with PP can use a different supplier for the exports.

Thee’s also an EV tariff update in this Septemer post here:thumbsup: