News

Pure Futures pilot - we’re looking for Members to help us test a new type of smart thermostat

• 14 December 2020
  • 34 replies

• Community Manager
  • 5493 replies

Hi everyone

We’re looking for Pure Planet Community members to help us test a new type of smart thermostat that can be controlled by your smartphone or your in-home display.

Geo In-Home Display

This is a three month pilot using thermostats from a company called Geo -  they also make the in-home displays that come with the smart meters that Pure Planet installs.

To take part you’ll need to be a Pure Planet dual fuel Member with smart meters installed by us. The thermostat will be installed by Geo alongside your existing heating controls and will control your central heating and hot water. Geo will ask for a small amount of your time (about half an hour) to get feedback on the thermostat but in return you’ll be able to keep the thermostat forever, free of charge!

The installation requires a smart switch to be connected to your boiler (this is what turns the boiler on and off). You’ll also be provided with a wireless temperature sensor and an enhanced in-home display. You’ll then be able to control your new smart thermostat via the Geo Home app or by using the new display.

Geo IHD, heating switch, sensor and app

Geo will install the smart thermostat (which should be done in less than an hour) and provide any support you need to get set up. If at the end of the three month trial you want to remove the thermostat for any reason, Geo will be happy to do so.

We’ve three kits to offer to three Members of the Community. We’ll select three eligible Members to take part and Geo will then be in touch to arrange an installation.

At the end of the trial Geo will send you a short survey about your experience, such as:

• If the thermostat met your expectations

• How useful you find the information in the app

• Whether it helped you to think more about your energy usage

• How you typically controlled your heating and hot water

And you can also post here in the Community some feedback about your experience. Other Members may also have questions, too!

Pure Futures is all about trialling and testing the energy technology that will become increasingly common in homes of the future. We think smart thermostats are a great way of making your home heating more intelligent - reducing your energy bills and carbon emissions without a huge upfront cost. 

We want to see if a smart thermostat that connects to your in-home display (and could be installed at the same time as a smart meter) is a better way of getting the technology into our homes.

Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies below. :slight_smile:

You may also like: Pure Futures pilot of smart data - bringing your energy use to life

[Post updated 6 Jan 2021 to remove the link to the Google form, as we’ve had an amazing response - thanks everyone!]

34 replies

Userlevel 2

This looks awesome, do you have any more details on the thermostat itself?

I've currently got a NEST but it's not great when it comes to integration with things outside the Google sphere, so having an alternative is definitely of interest.

The only problem I've got is that I don't seem to be able to get a smart meter from you, so probably can't take part in this study :(

Yes, more info on the control algorithm would scratch my usual itch about these gadgets. So many of them are fairly dumb, unlike the wonderfully clever Honeywell Evohome I’ve droned on about before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Looks awesome, just filled in the form. I currently have a none smart wireless thermostat that I fitted myself. This looks so much better

Userlevel 2

@25 quid Completely agree, I'd love to see hubitat integration myself!

Never heard of Hubitat before today @ProfFalken. Wonderfully geeky and maybe a step too far for me…

I love a well controlled heating system that isn’t dumb and just alternates between a bit too hot and a bit too cold… Also great to operate a condensing boiler in its most efficient actually condensing mode.

Userlevel 2

Ah, I’ve had a few home-automation setups over the years, Hubitat strikes just the right balance between the DIY solutions suck as OpenHAB and Home Assistant but without the costs of the “Proper” solutions such as Control4, but that’s probably for another thread! :D

Please add my name to the list of interested members. I am delighted with the Smart Meter fitted by PP so this would be a great add-on.

Please add my name to the list of interested members. I am delighted with the Smart Meter fitted by PP so this would be a great add-on.

Great stuff @Steviewardy 

Make sure you fill in this Google Form :thumbsup:

A big thanks to everyone who’s put themselves forward for this pilot. :slight_smile:

What’s happening now is that Geo are looking for three Members to shortlist. They’ll be in touch with several Members by email and/or telephone over the next week or so to get a little bit more info before selecting the final three.

We’re also looking to try, if possible, to have the three pilot participants as close to eachother as possible, so we can keep travel to minimum. Only because travelling around the UK isn’t exactly straightforward at the moment! 

Update to say I’ve removed the link to the Google form, as we’ve had an amazing response - thanks everyone :hugging:

Well. After a few months of Covid-19 lockdowns…. the installations have gone ahead.

Phew.

Hoping to share some findings with you in the near future.

My infamous not-skiing garage project, also serves to Homekitify my Heating controller and makes some lamps turn on/off at random after dark when nobody’s home. 

Easy control of heating is the way forward… 

Oh yes, there’s a bedtime scene too...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Told ya, you need your own thread for all this, then can share fully. Intriguing!

I love it when you’re right @Bev! 😊 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

LOL, it’d make sense tho

Told ya, you need your own thread for all this, then can share fully. Intriguing!

Agree 100% @Bev 

Are you up for writing a guide to setting up Apple Home @25 quid ?

Seriously, I can’t even get the Homepod up and running. Admittedly it’s the first edition model, the white elephant one. But if I plug it in all it does is play Apple radio and won’t ‘talk’ to my phone.:sob:

Heehee, just bring your iPhone close to the HomePod (or open the Home App) @Marc and exciting things will happen… 😉 

PS. I have two of the original white elephants and they sound amazing on top of the big Plasma. The tellybezels are big enough to balance them safely!

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@25 quid 

If you have a Plasma TV you could integrate it into the heating system as another radiator.

(It’s not a kuro is it?)

It is an excellent room warmer! I’ve had to fix the Samsung twice after it blew up various parts of its hot innards. 

Freeze frame from a slow mo movie

I think you’re onto something there @woz! As I can turn it on and off programmatically via it’s connection to my AppleTV, perhaps I should integrate it more fully into my heating for cold morning boosts.

Can anyone spot the other fault in this shot?

It’s a classic issue

Heehee, just bring your iPhone close to the HomePod (or open the Home App) @Marc and exciting things will happen… 😉 

The white elephant is, er…. trumpeting (?) again @25 quid 

All it took was a hard reset. :sweat_smile:

Hurrah

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Can anyone spot the other fault in this shot?

It’s a classic issue

Yes, it’s missing your thumbs 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣🤣

Listen, I seriously get excited asking Siri to turn my 🔦on and that’s no absolute lie, so if you think any of your amazing work will mean anything to me 🤣🤣🤣🤣, maybe you can explain to us all what the fault is, our Notes 🤷‍♀️👍

Good point about the thumb, sorry about that! 😉 

See if Siri can help you with this close-up of the problem. 🤣