News

Pure Futures pilot of smart meter data - bringing your energy use to life

Pure Futures pilot of smart meter data - bringing your energy use to life
  • Community Manager
  • 5493 replies

Hi everyone

We’re looking for Pure Planet Community members to help us start testing the best way of using the data we get from smart meters. 

Smart meters provide much more granular information about how energy is consumed within the home. We want to understand what parts of this information are most useful and whether the data displayed by your smart meter’s in-home display is better presented in an app!

To make this pilot happen we’ll send you something called a ‘consumer access device’  which plugs into the back of your smart meter’s in-home display. This device connects to your Wi-Fi and sends more granular energy consumption information and insight to an app (which you’ll need to download on your smartphone).

We’re looking for community Members to help us with a three month pilot. We want to understand how useful you find the information that is presented in the app and are particularly interested in:

• How often you use the app

• Whether you feel more informed about your household energy usage

• Whether it changes any of your habits, in terms of how many appliances you run, or how you choose to heat your home

• Whether you felt there was anything missing from the app or have any ideas for what else could be included

To take part in the pilot, you’ll need to have had a smart meter installed by Pure Planet and agree to give us permission to take half-hourly readings. Geo will send you the device in the post with instructions for connecting it to the back of your in-home display.

You’ll also need to have a smartphone so you can download the app.

The trial will last around three months, but you will continue to have access to the data and insight provided in the app for at least a year. We’ll ask you to complete a couple of online surveys across the three months - these should take no longer than ten minutes to complete.

Pure Futures is about understanding how we can use new technology to improve Member’s understanding and engagement with their energy usage. We want to learn how we can use smart meter data to achieve this and whether particular tools, graphs and tips are more helpful than others.

If you’re interested in taking part, fill in this form. We’ll get in touch if you are eligible to take part. Keep an eye on the community for updates and next steps.

Any questions? Let’s talk about them in the replies.

You may also like: Pure Futures pilot - we’re looking for Members to help us test a new type of smart thermostat

Update: Wednesday, 20 Jan 2021

A big thanks to everyone who’s offered to help out. :raised_hands:

We’ve now got a list of 25 Members confirmed so far. So in order to prevent any delays to the pilot, we’ll start with that for now. The Google form has been closed.

Alas not everyone who offered to take part was able to be included - mostly those who didn’t have a PP-installed SMETS2 smart meter.

Those that are in the pilot will get an email in the next day or two to confirm, and your CADs will be posted out by the start of next week, if not before!

Update: Tuesday, 16 March 2021

Thought I'd share some findings from our  pilot so far. :relaxed:

• Average CAD set-up time: 11 minutes
  • 62% of this group are using the Geo phone app every day
  • Three-quarters of you say you feel more informed about your energy usage
  • And 80% of you said you'd like to have more information about your carbon footprint, and ways to offset it

This was the ranking order of features you'd like to see, ranked 1 (most important) to 6 (least):

1. Energy consumption breakdown of individual devices within the home
  2. Information about how your consumption has changed over time
  3. Personalised energy savings tips
  4. Comparison of your energy usage against others
  5. Carbon impact of your energy usage
  6. Estimated savings from low-carbon technology (e.g., solar panels)

Other feedback you gave us, includes:

A video guide to setting up the CAD would be useful. And using 'miles driven' and/or 'trees' as a way of measuring carbon footprint was the preferred options.

Some asked for a way to download the info out of the app, too.

There's a second survey coming soon which is going to asking for a bit more feedback on usage graphs. 
Thanks again everyone for helping out! :thumbsup:

Update Monday 17 May 2021

A big thank you to everyone who took part - it’s great to see so much interest in this trial and the feedback has been really helpful.

Below are some of the key results from the final survey we sent out a few weeks ago:

• It is clear that using the Geo Home app resulted in you feeling more informed about your home energy use - there was a 19% increase in how informed people felt between the first and last survey

• There’s been a bit of a drop in engagement since the trial started with 75% of you reporting that you use the app at least once a week, down from 88% after the first survey

• 56% of you reported looking at your In-Home Display less as a result of having the app

• Currently an In-Home Display needs to be plugged in and powered on for the geo Home app to work - interestingly 63% of you said you would continue to use your In-Home Display even if you could just use the Geo Home app instead

• It was really exciting to see a third of you making changes in your household energy consumption as a result of using the app - for example, one participant replaced some of their older appliances and another lowered their thermostat temperature!

We also asked some questions about personalised energy insights and app notifications. A whopping 88% of you would be willing to share information about your household if this led to more personalised and accurate insights about your energy consumption. In-app notifications were popular too - with people most interested in receiving warnings about unusual energy consumption.

Thanks again for taking part - the feedback you have provided will help to shape our future products and services and the results from this trial will be really important for informing  the new digital services we’ve been developing with bp

Remember, although the trial has now finished, you will continue to have access to the Geo Home app for another nine months.

101 replies

Hey @Duppy @Ohit @ChrisH @schase @Mooply just posted this :point_up_2: and thought of you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Marc , Already filled in, thanks

Userlevel 2

Gah! I miss out again because of my stupid SMETS1 meter! :(

I would have loved to be part of this one.

I wonder if there’s a way to track down DCC and get my meter on the list :(

Badge

Thanks @Marc 

Fom submitted!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Form submitted…

Although I’d rather see data coming directly from the meter rather than the Geo IHD, as the accumulated usage info on the IHD just gets more bizarre with each passing week. I’ve reported bugs with the bar graphs before, and I’m seeing even more now. Completely unreliable information.

Thanks @Marc form filled in. Just one potential fly in the ointment is that my IHD says it is waiting for gas info on the front screen. If you go into system status it shows status 29-9 for the gas. I reported this a couple of months ago now so that may need resolving first. 

Sounds like a very good idea. I already have the Tesla and MyEnergi apps showing that information and primarily use the Tesla app. I doubt I would use a third app.  These 2 give slightly different information because MyEnergi doesn't track the battery very well and Tesla is unaware of my Zappi and Eddi (they just count as home energy usage). 

I currently charge my powerwall and EV overnight in preparation for the upcoming EV tariff so the new PP app and energy information would only show that and be 0 the rest of the time unless i happened to export some solar energy. That would make it of very limited use.

Userlevel 2

I would be interested in this trial - though I am currently waiting for my smart meter install.

However, you do not mention what brands of smartphone your app is compatible with, or the operating system version required :worried:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I would be interested in this trial - though I am currently waiting for my smart meter install.

However, you do not mention what brands of smartphone your app is compatible with, or the operating system version required :worried:

https://electricity.support.geotogether.com/en/support/solutions/articles/7000058726-4-download-the-geo-home-app

@Marc @RussellR I assume that’s the app..?

however no mention of versions, presumably it will tell you if it’s not compatible with your version of OS

Userlevel 1

I would like to take part but having had our smart meters installed nearly a year ago I still haven’t got an IHD

Hi @Kav 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.

having had our smart meters installed nearly a year

Who installed them? Was it us/Magnum?

Userlevel 1

Yes it was magnum

Yes it was magnum

Thanks @Kav That’s very odd. But! If you fill out the form for this pilot we’ll be able to sort that at the same time, I’m sure. :thumbsup:

Hi @RussellR 

Good question! The Geo app works on Android 5 and up, and iOS 10 and up.

Great - lets get this done ASAP so we can all see what a huge waste of money “smart” metres are!

Userlevel 2

Thanks @woz and @Marc 

Luckily I’ve got iOS10.3.3 :grinning:

We’ve now got a list of 25 Members confirmed so far. So in order to prevent any delays to the pilot, we’ll start with that for now. The Google form has been closed.

Alas not everyone who offered to take part was able to be included - mostly those who didn’t have a PP-installed SMETS2 smart meter.

Those that are in the pilot will get an email in the next day or two to confirm, and your CADs will be posted out by the start of next week, if not before!

FYI @Duppy @schase @Ohit you guys are in the pilot :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks @Marc , looking forward to being part of this pilot.

Badge

FYI @Duppy @schase @Ohit you guys are in the pilot :slight_smile:

Great, thanks!

Looking forward to this

Userlevel 2

@Marc Just on the wrong side of the cliff edge this time - my meters are booked in for next Monday afternoon.  Ah well, the trial should iron out any unanticipated ‘features’, so by the time it ends I can get a device which runs even more smoothly.

And with the Covid precautions I’m not even allowed to bribe (sorry - compensate) the installer with his favourite biscuits :innocent:

Userlevel 1

I have been selected for trial, will I get my IHD at the same time as the CAD. 

I have been selected for trial, will I get my IHD at the same time as the CAD. 

Hello @Kav Nice one!

Re the IHD. What happened to the IHD when your smart meters were installed by Magnum? Did they not give you one then?

Userlevel 1

No they didn’t give me one , I was told that there was a shortage and I would get one when they became available 

Hi @Kav 

I’ve flagged this with our smart team. There’s an issue there - due to what’s known as “noise” where the signal between the comms hub and the elec meter interfere with one another - we’re not able to commission your smart meters yet.

It’s a issue affecting all energy suppliers and is mostly in the north of the UK, the bit of the smart meter network that’s been built by telecomms firm Arqiva.  

Sorry about this. There may have been an IHD shortage at the time, but the bigger problem is the noise, which renders the smart meters completely non-smart.

Our team are working with Data Communications Company (the Government-appointed body in charge of the smart meters network) and Arqiva. 

We’ll have to exclude you from the CAD pilot for now, too. Sorry about that. Our team will email to confirm.

@MarcJust on the wrong side of the cliff edge this time - my meters are booked in for next Monday afternoon.  Ah well, the trial should iron out any unanticipated ‘features’, so by the time it ends I can get a device which runs even more smoothly.

And with the Covid precautions I’m not even allowed to bribe (sorry - compensate) the installer with his favourite biscuits :innocent:

Hey @RussellR 

I’m sure we can ‘squeeze’ you in :slight_smile:

Probably best to wait a couple of days to make sure smart install is successful and all working OK. Sound good?