Hot Topic

Hive review - a Tale of two Stats

• 18 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

10 Days into using the Hive - here’s the story.

We rent our house, so the first thing is that the Hive is kind of portable, you could take it from one house to another and the only ‘tricky’ bit would be reverting the boiler case wiring and re-installing the original stat. Talking of which….

I imagined the Hive would be a straight swap for our exiting Thermostat. It’s not. Existing is a traditional bimetallic strip that has two switch wires and an earth. Just a remote switch really, operated by the bimetallic strip responding to changing temperature, separating or closing. The Hive has two switch wires and an earth and needs a 3 amp supply ( two more wires ). It switches the boiler in response to a wifi signal relayed from the wireless thermostat via the Hive hub.

At this point I engaged a ‘Hive rated ‘ electrician. I had no desire to go looking for a 3 amp supply on the boiler terminal rail. He was great.

It took a while - 20 minutes - for the Server side of the Hive connected system to be up and running, but since then it has been faultless, despite me disconnecting the hub during an AV re-build and despite me changing phone and re-installing the app. The hub still works, sitting on the floor and tucked under a playstation.

Benefit to us

1. Position. Old Stat - upstairs landing. New Hive stat - downstairs in the  through lounge that has a large single glazed bay window. Always better to have a thermostat in a cooler part of the house. Plus, we can move it whoever we want.
  2. Consistency. A bimetallic strip thermostat undershoots and overshoots the target temperature and degrades with age. The Hive thermostat  is giving a far more consistent, uniform response, even when changing up or down by 1 degree.
  3. Position part 2. One of my two adult daughters has the bedroom with large single glazed bay window. My wife and I and my other daughter all have warm bedrooms that get too warm.  Daughter 1 often says “I was really cold in the middle of the night”. She’s also the most fussy. As the Hive stat can be manually operated, and as it’s no longer upstairs next to our bedroom doors, this filters out ‘fussiness’ from real need. If she’s really cold she’ll walk downstairs and turn it up. If she wakes up and can’t be bothered and goes back to sleep, then it wasn’t that cold. This isn’t just grumpy dad talk - in these first ten days I’m looking for the right night time temperature, currently 18.  It is, however, really wonderful to be able to turn the heat down from my phone if I’m too warm in the middle of the night. :grin:

So, we run it this way - Nightime ( manually, from when I go to bed ) 18 deg. From 6.30am, by schedule , 20 deg.  f a family member wants it warmer, ( generally 22 deg in the lounge )  they'll turn it up themselves. In a house where we all have different bedtimes, manually overriding the scheduling is working best at present.

We used an unused serviette stand to hold the Hive Stat - fits perfectly and we will move it off the fire mantlepiece once we start using the fire. I’m genuinely considering buying some Hive TRVs as they have a Black Friday sale on - dialling in individual room temps. Hive Black Friday Sale

We have a warmer, but more controlled house now. Everyone of us can change the temperature if we want to and I can remotely set the temperature down if I know the house will be empty or it’s too warm  in the middle of the night. Awesome.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Is that 2028 thing a prosthetic hand?! 😳😳😳

Fab read btw, Andy 👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good report.  We love ours and do seem to be using a bit less gas.

This is a fantastic review, thanks @andyseal

Really useful for people considering whether Hive will help them out or not - sounds like it may help with avoiding family arguments about the temperature, especially when we’re all home more in lockdown times. :grin:

Badge

Is that 2028 thing a prosthetic hand?! 😳😳😳

Fab read btw, Andy 👏👏👏👏👏👏👍👍👍

Thankyou @Bev - the hand is for art, it can be moved to enable drawing realistically ( my daughters both love drawing ) and thanks also for the kind words.

Badge

This is a fantastic review, thanks @andyseal

Really useful for people considering whether Hive will help them out or not - sounds like it may help with avoiding family arguments about the temperature, especially when we’re all home more in lockdown times. :grin:

@Nataly - yes indeed regarding family! In fact, today, I kept the temperature at 19 all day. today ( no one was downstairs unless they were briefly in the kitchen ). Everyone was out or upstairs, which is warmer. At about 6pm, one of my daughter entered the lounge and pronounced it ‘freezing’ and I turned it up to 22, which was well received. meantime, I’ve been saving energy all day:sunglasses:

Badge

Good report.  We love ours and do seem to be using a bit less gas.

Thankyou @Scubaseahorse - kind words.