Solved

Why is there a VAT charge on my statement?

• 23 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi,
May somebody help to explain as to why I am paying VAT on the total Gas & Electric since I joined Pureplanet?
Fair enough we pay VAT on the bill for the usage we have used each month, but as the total usage is displayed from when we joined Pureplanet the total figure includes every months usage, but surely we have already paid the VAT for the previous months usage?
icon

Best answer by woz 23 January 2019, 14:13

Hi Sarah02
You only pay VAT at 5% once and you pay it on the membership fee and the energy used.
The prices quoted by PP include VAT so when they prepare your statement the prices used are exclusive of VAT then they add it up and put VAT on everything. You don't pay it twice,
Obviously I can't see your statement so I'm not sure what you've seen on the statement that leads you to believe otherwise?

I suspect you may have misunderstood your statement or you've received a consolidated statement?
Have a look HERE
Post back if you still have a query?
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hi Sarah, Your Bill tarrif etc is firstly calculated net of vat then VAT added for the final total. VAT is only applied for each current period...hope that explains?

Please note that the APP shows the tarrif with VAT included.
Plus the APP shows me the new Tarrif.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hi Sarah02
You only pay VAT at 5% once and you pay it on the membership fee and the energy used.
The prices quoted by PP include VAT so when they prepare your statement the prices used are exclusive of VAT then they add it up and put VAT on everything. You don't pay it twice,
Obviously I can't see your statement so I'm not sure what you've seen on the statement that leads you to believe otherwise?

I suspect you may have misunderstood your statement or you've received a consolidated statement?
Have a look HERE
woz;21772:
Hi Sarah02

Have a look HERE

Hi thanks for the reply, however my bill states VAT @ 5% on £509.88 = £25.49

This is the total amount of usage for gas and electric since I join Pureplanet in September
I believe you have charged me VAT on the total amount of usage and not the usage I have used within my Dec-Jan statement
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Sarah02
I suspect that you have a consolidated statement if the total amount showing is £509.88, it’s showing the previous usage excluding vat and has added vat to the total amount. Some of that vat will have been on previous statements - it hasn’t charged you twice, it’s just shown what was on the previous statement again. If you’re still unhappy go to help in the app, ask wattbot, type “message the team and ask for a statement for jan only (if it is jan). I think you’ve been charged vat on everything because the statement covers (shows) previous months, I don’t think you’ve been charged twice.
Hi @Sarah02
Welcome to the community!
Thanks for posting.
Sounds like @woz is spot on, it's a consolidated statement. These are issued when your account has had to be re-calculated (usually if estimated readings have been used previously, and there's a new actual reading).
It means that several months' statements are consolidated into one statement, covering a period of many months.
So it's simply one statement replacing lots of other monthly statements. You're not paying twice. One replaces the other.
More info here on consolidated statements from our FAQs section.
Hope that helps 🆙
Hello,
Thank you for the explanation.
Maybe it would help for you to include a break down of this information when creating the statement, as I believe customers need to work this out themselves.
The statement is compiling usage from a period of months and not detailing breakdown information costs for the month we are being billed for.
Would be beneficial.
Thank you for the efficient responses
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
hi Sara02
I haven't yet had the pleasure....(but there is still time...)
of a consolidated statement.
On the usual statement at the top below the words "Your energy statement" it shows when the charges on the statement are for.
May I ask, since I haven't seen a consolidated yet, were those dates correct for the charges shown on the statement?
I'm asking because if they were not correct that needs addressing, but even if they were, I will suggest an improvement to the consolidated statement to make it clear that the statement is not just for the month in question.

Humans being what they are, there is an expectation having had previous statements, that the statement is for a month only so people see what they think it should be, not what it is. It should be immediately clear and obvious what the statement is showing.
On that basis I will suggest a change to make it much more obvious as to what the statement is showing, for example having a line on each page saying "*This is a consolidated statement for the period 12th Brightember 2018 to 11th Veganuary 2019, and a section on the end of the statement further explaining why and what it shows, etc
Also receiving a consolidated statement should not preclude receiving a monthly statement
Sarah02;21808:
Hello,
Thank you for the explanation.
Maybe it would help for you to include a break down of this information when creating the statement, as I believe customers need to work this out themselves.
The statement is compiling usage from a period of months and not detailing breakdown information costs for the month we are being billed for.
Would be beneficial.
Thank you for the efficient responses