Solved

Why is my DD changing if I'm on a fixed rate deal?

Show first post

31 replies

Hi @Kerrywerrywoo 

I’ve very roughly calculated it, but @woz is the resident spreadsheet expert - me, I still mourn the loss of Lotus 123.

Thankyou this is really helpful. I understand a lot more now how it works and why I got so flustered, with everything going on my stress jar has been full so Thankyou for taking the time to explain! 

Glad it’s of help @Kerrywerrywoo.

In a one of the curveballs life throws at you, way back in 2009, the day my wife and I came back from a week long holiday to recover from the months of stress we’d been through dealing with my mother’s death - my father died - so, although I may not have categorically stated it before, I am extremely sympathetic to what you are going through right now (and we didn’t have probate to deal with.)

I feel reasonably knowledgeable in saying that no matter how horrible everything feels right now, eventually you will see the other side of this situation, and you will catch up with everything that gets put on the ‘back-burner’ while your life becomes encompassed by the fallout from your parent’s passing.

In the interim, your stress jar will overflow, you will miss what you would normally consider the ‘blindingly obvious’ - and curse yourself as you may, there’s not much you can do to avoid it, we basically had my best friend acting as a  ‘long-distance Personal Assistant’ - checking in regularly just to make sure that we’d remembered to sort things like insurance, energy, taking the cat to the vets etc.

Kindest regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I’m delighted that the combined efforts of the community have been so helpful,  this thread is a great example of what the community is all about!

@Kerrywerrywoo good luck, hope everything works out for you.

I have been with Pureplanet for 11 months, the monthly bills starting from 2021 Jan was 89.27, 89.27, 89.27, 59.51, 59.51, 59.51, 59.51, 110.88, 110.88, 139.28, 139.28. I am guessing the trend is a combined effect of lesser heating during summer months, initial underestimation which caused a backlog and the increased usage during Autumn.. The increase was a bit disturbing anyway 

Badge +5

@Doni You will have been advised what the figures would be and in particular that in the months from October to March you pay more to cover the anticipated increased cost. You are seeing that with your latest debits. Nothing to be concerned about. You end up only paying for what you use. It will change when Shell start operating their system but that may be some time yet. I don’t know if they operate a split between what we pay Summer and Winter. Eventually, but be patient it will all level out. When? I think next year perhaps. Am I bothered? No.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I have been with Pureplanet for 11 months, the monthly bills starting from 2021 Jan was 89.27, 89.27, 89.27, 59.51, 59.51, 59.51, 59.51, 110.88, 110.88, 139.28, 139.28. I am guessing the trend is a combined effect of lesser heating during summer months, initial underestimation which caused a backlog and the increased usage during Autumn.. The increase was a bit disturbing anyway 

hi @Doni, this is how I see it

Your original dd was based on £893 a year, you’ve ended up at £1393 a year. That’s exactly a £500 difference- a year

Some of that £500 increase will perhaps be due to an original underquoting for the real amount of energy you’re using and perhaps anticipating an increase in rates (absolutely inevitable). If so as I always point out it seems excessive but you may also be paying off a backlog. Even if there is no significant backlog your rates will increase by lots.
(Only you can tell us how much PP think you’re going to use in the following year and whether the figure is near what you have/will actually use - we don’t have access)

The remainder of the increase will be to pay off, over a period of time  the arrears you’ve already accrued (over a period of time) (the longer the underpayment the larger the arrears amount will be) 

Without knowing your account balance usage and rates al of the above could be incorrect, but those are the things to look at to figure out why you’re seeing what looks like a large increase.

The alternative is to not address it until it becomes much more difficult to address.

I may be wrong, all of the above is just guesswork, but it may give some insight.

(we are bovvered...wish I could say not bovvered too...)

Badge +5

That probably confuses the situation for some.  Easily inadvertently done.

Why be bothered? Not after the multitude of occasions from many different sources, including PP,  when customers have been told what is happening, that their position is secure, the whole process is set up as one to protect the customer who is heading toward an increased cost which has been detailed. If you cannot change what lies ahead and you know what lies ahead then why be bothered about the mechanics, it is a waste of energy? In the 1930s we were given “Give us courage to change what must be altered, serenity to accept what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.”  That is perhaps apt here.

There are more important things to be concerned about. Perhaps @Bev ’s foot for one!!! The main “bother” about the present situation is if it can be afforded. Also the mechanics of the current system carried out by Ofgem which they are looking at (don’t hold your breath!). Those bothers are different and not what is being queried and being adequately answered by many. With respect to the points raised there is nothing to be bothered about, we know  what lies ahead.