Solved

Why are prices higher for new tariff than my previous tariff?

Why does my renewal price show it being £200 more than I was actually billed 

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 1 May 2021, 15:05

Hi @cobra2343 

As this is the community, and we don’t have access to account information, I don’t totally understand the question.

So, this is a ‘guess’:

You had a fixed term contract last year, when prices were comparatively speaking ‘fantastically cheap,’ over the last year you’ve been billed at the cheaper rates for ‘Amount A’

You’ve been offered a new fixed term contract, which is £200 more than ‘Amount A’ as the prices have gone up over the last year.

Pure Planet wholesale energy market blog post April 2021 - cost of energy has soared over the last 12 months | Community

If this isn’t the answer, please provide some ‘non-personal’ information, and maybe we can work it out for you.

Kindest regards
Gwyndy

View original

13 replies

Hi @cobra2343 

As this is the community, and we don’t have access to account information, I don’t totally understand the question.

So, this is a ‘guess’:

You had a fixed term contract last year, when prices were comparatively speaking ‘fantastically cheap,’ over the last year you’ve been billed at the cheaper rates for ‘Amount A’

You’ve been offered a new fixed term contract, which is £200 more than ‘Amount A’ as the prices have gone up over the last year.

Pure Planet wholesale energy market blog post April 2021 - cost of energy has soared over the last 12 months | Community

If this isn’t the answer, please provide some ‘non-personal’ information, and maybe we can work it out for you.

Kindest regards
Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Yes, your question doesn't make sense.....please furnish us with more details ( no personal details please, as this is a public forum. )

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@cobra2343 I’m going to have a guess at what may have happened here,

Did your fixed term contract end and before it ended you were offered another fixed term tariff but took no action assuming you would get the new tariff offered automatically, but as you didn’t accept that offer at the time when it came to renewal that tariff was defunct and the replacement was more expensive?

If you didn’t actively accept the tariff offered then you won’t get it at renewal.

The above is a complete guess, please delete it from your memory if it’s wrong.

My current plan is due to end June. So it states that my annual usage was £860.00 but the next fixed plan is going to cost me £1081.00 

Is this due to wholesale prices going up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My current plan is due to end June. So it states that my annual usage was £860.00 but the next fixed plan is going to cost me £1081.00 

Is this due to wholesale prices going up 

@cobra2343 

Yes prices have increased a lot, you are of course free to go to comparison websites, but if you decide to switch to another provider you can’t time it other than starting the switch 3 weeks before you want it to happen. If you switch straight away (or in 17 days from when you apply, you’ll lose the last cheaper days of your current tariff (assuming your current tariff is a fixed one)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@cobra2343 my fix is coming to an end too.  My yearly price was similar to yours and the new quote is similar too.  Prices have gone up while we've enjoyed the cheaper fixed rate over the last year - we made a good choice. 

Why has electricity gone up if it’s wind power ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have a read of the blog above that @woz highlighted,  it may give you some answers

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Cobra2343,

Other members will provide a better response.

Simply put (my simple mind) PP along with all energy providers purchase from the national grid. Which includes green and not so green energy. PP purchases 100% green energy from the grid.. in advance (hedging).. matched to the product offer..its complicated and many suppliers have gone bust because their business model failed. PP’s procured energy products are provided to its members at cost. PP’s members rate as in standing charge covers PP’s overheads etc. 

https://purepla.net/blog/energy-prices-are-increasing-right-across-the-market-how-does-pure-planet-compare?_ga=2.200456942.1597066353.1619729877-1939395874.1618911499

My fixed rate deal last June has proved to be excellent. Some customers may no longer assess last years deal and only asses when the contract ends... when you need to assess what was good... and what has transpired... over the period...Anyway its in the blog including the increased costs of providing the energy along with increased cost of E&G.

Have a great day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@cobra2343 

What an excellent question.

If only it were that simple.

Have a listen to THIS it’s the last part of four but it stands alone.

I hope it’s the correct link....

Well I listened the main thrust of the article was to mention that in the future all our power needs would be either solar or wind generated. A totally inexhaustible supply and free understandably there is the hardware needed to Harvey this source but the set up costs would be offset over the years. So it didn’t explain why the wholesale energy prices were climbing 

. A totally inexhaustible supply and free 

I’d take that with a pinch of salt.

“It is not too much to expect that our children will enjoy in their homes electrical energy too cheap to meter,”

Lewis Strauss 1954 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Well I listened the main thrust of the article was to mention that in the future all our power needs would be either solar or wind generated. A totally inexhaustible supply and free understandably there is the hardware needed to Harvey this source but the set up costs would be offset over the years. So it didn’t explain why the wholesale energy prices were climbing 

@cobra2343 The same reason as the pricing for any other commodity including labour - supply and demand. (Hence the thrust of the prog. I linked to being that in the future utopia where the cost of supply has dropped and where there is an abundance of supply the prices will in theory be lower. )

The corollary being what happened here:-

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/24/texas-energy-bills-scandal-snow-storm

So I guess you should count yourself lucky that capitalism and regulation has protected you (to some extent)…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing