Solved

Unexpected Switching Bill

• 27 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi everyone,

I moved into my flat on Septemebr 4th. I then went about getting set up with PP. I was told my existing supplier was British Gas. 

I just received a bill from British Gas for a sum of £92.33 covering 2 September to October 4th. 

I’m a bit confused… it was addressed to ’The Occupier’. Does PP now deal with British Gas from here on in? And I’m assuming the money we paid to Pure Planet on October 7th is the bill for that period they are now charging us for? 

Please can someone here let me know what I should do? 

Thanks so much, 

Grant 

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 27 October 2020, 15:16

Hi @GrantTilbury 

Would I be correct in assuming you didn’t tell British Gas you had moved in?

My take on it would be as follows.

1: The Previous Occupier was with British Gas, they told British Gas they were moving out, and gave final readings, hopefully on the day they left (1st September?).

2: You moved in September 4th, but presumably, although by moving in you became a ‘deemed customer’ of British Gas, you did not tell them who you were (or supply opening readings?)

3: At some point after moving in, you applied to join Pure Planet (at an ‘uneducated guess’ somewhere around 16th September), the switching process took 17 days.

4: On 5th October you became a Pure Planet customer.

5: British Gas are now asking you, as their deemed customer, even though they don’t know who you are (hence: ‘The Occupier’) to pay them for the energy you used, which they supplied you with, between 2nd September (when the previous occupant left?) and 4th October (when you changed suppliers.)

With the exception of agreeing meter readings, your existing relationship with British Gas (as your ‘deemed supplier’) is not something Pure Planet has any control over.

The money you paid to Pure Planet on 7th October is an advance payment for you estimated energy usage between 5th October and 4th November (approximately) as detailed in your Welcome Pack.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@GrantTilbury

Once you switch PP and BG will agree the readings at the switch and BG will eventually provide you with a final bill and refund or otherwise (it can take up to 6 weeks usually less).

Up to the time the bill is produced you may end up paying 2 suppliers for a short while. You won’t ultimately pay for the same energy twice.

In your case the important part is to make sure BG used the correct starting readings when you moved in.

Hi @GrantTilbury 

Would I be correct in assuming you didn’t tell British Gas you had moved in?

My take on it would be as follows.

1: The Previous Occupier was with British Gas, they told British Gas they were moving out, and gave final readings, hopefully on the day they left (1st September?).

2: You moved in September 4th, but presumably, although by moving in you became a ‘deemed customer’ of British Gas, you did not tell them who you were (or supply opening readings?)

3: At some point after moving in, you applied to join Pure Planet (at an ‘uneducated guess’ somewhere around 16th September), the switching process took 17 days.

4: On 5th October you became a Pure Planet customer.

5: British Gas are now asking you, as their deemed customer, even though they don’t know who you are (hence: ‘The Occupier’) to pay them for the energy you used, which they supplied you with, between 2nd September (when the previous occupant left?) and 4th October (when you changed suppliers.)

With the exception of agreeing meter readings, your existing relationship with British Gas (as your ‘deemed supplier’) is not something Pure Planet has any control over.

The money you paid to Pure Planet on 7th October is an advance payment for you estimated energy usage between 5th October and 4th November (approximately) as detailed in your Welcome Pack.

Kindest Regards

Gwyndy

Thanks, Gwyndy, I appreciate the reply. 

The flat was vacant for a few months before we moved. I also submitted my meter reading for Gas & Electricity through the Pure Planet app. 

I have no issue paying for what we’ve used, however, we have already paid Pure Planet for what we thought we had used. 

I do not have a statement yet but paid PP on Oct 7. My next bill is Nov 7. So are we paying a month in advance? It’s not that clear. 

Thank you, 

Grant 

Thanks @woz - I appreciate the insight. 

Thanks, Gwyndy, I appreciate the reply. 

The flat was vacant for a few months before we moved. I also submitted my meter reading for Gas & Electricity through the Pure Planet app. 

I have no issue paying for what we’ve used, however, we have already paid Pure Planet for what we thought we had used. 

I do not have a statement yet but paid PP on Oct 7. My next bill is Nov 7. So are we paying a month in advance? It’s not that clear. 

Thank you, 

Grant 

​​​@GrantTilbury 

Hmm, I wonder where British Gas got 2nd September from if you didn’t move in until the 4th?

Did you take meter readings, preferably with photos, the day you moved in, to compare to British Gas readings?

Yes, you pay in advance, and then get a statement (not a bill, as you pay by variable direct debit) between 7th and 10th November.

Regards

Gwyndy

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@GrantTilbury

Your first payment to PP is made on the day you switch in and monthly thereafter (in an ideal perfect world it would then pay for the energy you use in the month from your switch date.)

You can’t change the statement date but you can change the date you pay the DD.

If you didn’t become officially responsible for the property until 4th, that’s the date BG should charge you from (it’s not worth the hassle to argue it over 2 days). Make sure the readings are as expected.