Solved

Tariff change

• 3 September 2020
  • 12 replies

If I change just my gas tariff will I need to pay an exit fee. 

icon

Best answer by Mavis1 6 September 2020, 15:26

Hi Bill2020.

This is somewhat misleading and i do believe there is a post somewhere else about the same subject. 

In yours and some other peoples cases the latest fixed tariff offer means that gas is less expensive but the electricity is more expensive. 

You cant change just the gas to the new tariff so what bit you save on gas you will lose out on electric. You would need to work out yourself if its will actually save any money. But i doubt it will. 

And to clarify if you change tariff then you will have to pay the early leaving penalty. 

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi @Bill2020 

your question is  vague .

Do you mean switch gas provider only? If you’re on a fixed PP tariff then yes there is a £30 per fuel penalty before 315 days.

Do you mean change to a fixed PP tariff, for gas only? I don’t think that is possible. Others may know differently.

Or do you mean something else?

Hi, I've just been informed by pure planet that there is a cheaper fixed gas tariff on offer, can I just change to it without having to pay an exit fee .Regards Bill2020.

Hey @Bill2020 and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

If you’re on a fixed tariff with Pure Planet already, switching to another tariff would incur any relevant exit fees. 

Hope that helps :thumbsup:

But if you’re on the original variable tariff you can change for free. 

So it depends what tariff you’re on now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

This is exactly the scenario of which I and others posted, where customers should be given the opportunity to change without penalty to a later fixed tariff, but their fixed contract times should be extended. However I’m not convinced that changing would be cheaper here is why.

Aside from the fact that @Bill2020 intention was to change the gas part only which isn’t possible, there’s something amiss here, because both subsequent replacement tariffs were OVERALL more expensive that the ones they replaced (dependant on usage which might be the explanation). 

here’s the proof shown for Ofgem Average use, the percentage increases are relative to the variable so the more negative the overall, the cheaper it is compared to overall. As you can see overall the latest fixed  tariff is OVERALL more expensive, so why have PP sent a message saying there is a cheaper tariff?

woz’s spreadsheet

What am I missing? If he’s on variable, this fixed is Still cheaper...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

What am I missing? If he’s on variable, this fixed is Still cheaper...

@25 quid You’re missing the ambiguity of the post, but sadly I didn’t as it would have been easier if I had.

Hi, I've just been informed by pure planet that there is a cheaper fixed gas tariff on offer, 

I read it as (cheaper fixed) gas tariff as did @Nataly, you read it as cheaper tariff which is fixed, on balance your interpretation is probably correct, so just ignore my ramblings above.

I still have no idea what @Bill2020 wanted to do, why  specify gas only when it’s a fixed dual fuel tariff? (where the gas may be cheaper but the electricity is more)

@Bill2020 if you are reading this and you want to change from the variable tariff to the fixed tariff you can do that either in app or online. Post back if you need more help.

Hi, I  received my duel fuel ,100% green fixed tariff bill last week. It said Electricity, Good news,you are on our cheapest tariff. Gas, you could save £32 per year by changing to 100% green fixed tariff, go to Tariff and Usage, It 'll only take two minutes. Please read my first post, will I pay £30 exit fee, can this really be done. Regards, bill2020. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi Bill2020.

This is somewhat misleading and i do believe there is a post somewhere else about the same subject. 

In yours and some other peoples cases the latest fixed tariff offer means that gas is less expensive but the electricity is more expensive. 

You cant change just the gas to the new tariff so what bit you save on gas you will lose out on electric. You would need to work out yourself if its will actually save any money. But i doubt it will. 

And to clarify if you change tariff then you will have to pay the early leaving penalty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I knew we would get to the bottom of this in the end.I though that was what had happened hence my earlier post above.

It’s not somewhat misleading it’s annoyingly stupidly misleading and no doubt caused by Ofgem rules where you have to make customers aware of a potentially (note the word potentially) cheaper tariff. Also while the penalty exists (hopefully this will be changed) switching to the new tariff will never (or 99.99% never) be cheaper.

It might have a fighting chance without the penalty for a very high gas user.

PP should make the message clearer if ofgem allow, one for the feedback section I think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If i remember correctly, (i cant be bothered to look) the other post says its basically a software issue where the programme is not calculating the fixed tariffs as a whole and still classes them as individual tariffs. Hence on cheapest elec but can get cheaper gas, instead of saying august tariff is cheaper than junes. 

Does that make sense, it does to me but im half german. 

Aha, all makes sense now. Here’s the other post: https://community.purepla.net/ideas-board-25/could-you-pay-less-carbon-offset-gas-tariff-message-on-statement-10798