Solved

tariff

• 28 July 2020
  • 6 replies

On latest bill it suggested I could change my gas tariff to a cheaper version. When I tried it came up with tariff with same name and it would cost £60 to change. Is this correct as the saving was only £23.

icon

Best answer by Marc 28 July 2020, 14:50

Hey @Royalal 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.

I think what’s happening here is that you’re on one fixed tariff, and the statement is referring to another (ie a different fixed tariff).

But, they’ve got the same name. 

We’ve only recently started offering fixed tariffs, and our marketing team are looking at this naming issue. 

What @LeonardW said may be partly right too. It is a piece of text mandated by Ofgem to appear in statements.

View original

6 replies

Yes, my bill also says “You could save £23 a year by changing to '100% Green 12m Fixed'. This is currently our cheapest fixed 12 month tariff. To change your tariff, tap 'Tariff and usage' in your account — it'll take two minutes.

I am already on this tariff. I guess that this is just a standard bit of text that has not been updated for those of us who have already switched to the 12 months fixed tariff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

On latest bill it suggested I could change my gas tariff to a cheaper version. When I tried it came up with tariff with same name and it would cost £60 to change. Is this correct as the saving was only £23.

hi @Royalal The £60 it quoted was the penalty for switching early (or that’s what the computer was telling you for switching to the same tariff!) 

That was a consequence of the fact that you shouldn’t have had the message in the first place.

Hey @Royalal 

Welcome to the community! Thanks for posting.

I think what’s happening here is that you’re on one fixed tariff, and the statement is referring to another (ie a different fixed tariff).

But, they’ve got the same name. 

We’ve only recently started offering fixed tariffs, and our marketing team are looking at this naming issue. 

What @LeonardW said may be partly right too. It is a piece of text mandated by Ofgem to appear in statements.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

hi marc

it couldn’t have been that because it said change tariff to a cheaper version, but the mark2 fixed was more expensive than the mark1.

I’m not sure it was for gas @woz :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m not sure it was for gas @woz :relaxed:

ahh OK, good point,  but I do seem to remember the few overall comparisons I saw (and my calcs) coming out a little more expensive than the previous fixed tariff, but not by very much.

(It does however raise the old chestnut of allowing a no penalty move to a new fix for existing customers and extending the time...but that’s a whole other thing.)