Solved

switching supplier - extremely high bill

• 29 April 2021
  • 6 replies

I recently moved to a new house and moved from the current supplier Octopus Energy to Pure Planet.

I’ve received two extortionately high bills for a four-day period between the switch from Octopus and they say this is due to the smart meter reading from Pure. As a single person in a two bedroom house, they are saying that I spent almost £17 in gas. This is obviously incorrect but there seems to be no way for me to contact Pure Planet to discuss this further.

icon

Best answer by Gwyndy 29 April 2021, 15:25

Hi @Catherine13 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community

Octopus Energy will not have received the reading ‘from Pure Planet’ - readings when you switch are calculated by 2 ‘third-party verifiers’ based on the property’s historic usage - it’s the verifier for gas which will have supplied the reading.

If you wish to disagree with the reading supplied, go to top right of your account, where there are either three Horizontal bars or  the word ‘Menu’ select:
Help and Support
Ask a Question
Type ‘Opening reading dispute’ into WattBot and it should guide you through what to do.

The third-party verifiers exist to ensure your closing/opening readings are the same, thus ensuring you don’t pay for the same energy twice, they allow some leeway on the readings based on historic usage.

There’s a breakdown on how things are calculated in this thread:
Still getting bills form my old supplier. | Community (purepla.net)

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi
You're talking to fellow PP customers on this forum, and as such we don't have access to customers accounts. But we will help if we can.
There are no call centres with PP, it is an app-based company.

You need to send your message to the team directly via Wattbot.

if you go to the app and click on the
☰ menu at the top, then click on help, then ask Wattbot, 

Then you need to type in 'message the team' .

It will then offer you a few options of faq,  if none apply - then click on the box that says 'message the team',

Hi @Catherine13 

Welcome to the Pure Planet community

Octopus Energy will not have received the reading ‘from Pure Planet’ - readings when you switch are calculated by 2 ‘third-party verifiers’ based on the property’s historic usage - it’s the verifier for gas which will have supplied the reading.

If you wish to disagree with the reading supplied, go to top right of your account, where there are either three Horizontal bars or  the word ‘Menu’ select:
Help and Support
Ask a Question
Type ‘Opening reading dispute’ into WattBot and it should guide you through what to do.

The third-party verifiers exist to ensure your closing/opening readings are the same, thus ensuring you don’t pay for the same energy twice, they allow some leeway on the readings based on historic usage.

There’s a breakdown on how things are calculated in this thread:
Still getting bills form my old supplier. | Community (purepla.net)

Thank you both, I’ll try that. I have previously raised a complaint and didn’t receive a response from the team, and this was a few weeks ago. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Catherine13 

just to say that (as already said) you won’t pay for the same energy twice, what PP charge you for Orbit can’t charge you for, so it may not be as bad as you think, and depending on which provider has the higher energy prices it can sometimes work  to your advantage.

The main thing to check is that the closing readings for one are the opening readings for the other.

Yes, I made the error of relying on the smart meter readings to go through automatically and didn’t take my own reading. It’s my first time using them, and so far I haven’t got much confidence! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Catherine13 (←ooops I meant octopus not orbit last post)

There is a tolerance below which you can’t dispute, how far out are the readings?

(If PP’s gas unit prices are lower than octopus it will work in your favour)