Solved

refund of credit

• 7 February 2021
  • 36 replies

My account is £974 in credit, I have provided up to date meter readings and my requests to refund the credit just get ignored. How do I get a credit refund when there is no phone support and other communication channels are ignored?

icon

Best answer by Scubaseahorse 7 February 2021, 08:45

View original

36 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello @Michael S 

To organise a refund 

Tap the 3 bars at the top right of your screen on the front moon page

Tap Balance and Payments

Scroll down and tap Request an Account Review 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Michael S 

This is extraordinary, to be honest. First, because a credit balance of this size should not happen, and in usual circumstances would be picked up by the regular six-month review. So something very unusual is going on.

Second, it's extraordinary that your requests for a refund have been ignored. We're aware on the community that responses to emails are not always quick (several working days?) and some find Wattbot difficult, but if the message gets through (start with message the team) then there is a response, 2-3 working days.

So try what @Scubaseahorse has suggested, and let us know how you get on

Stephen

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@Michael S 

Have you been receiving statements, have you had new meters fitted? If there are any problems with the meter readings,even though you submit them, PP won't produce a statement or take energy charges from your account, but they will continue to take direct debits which would result in a large credit amount. It could also explain why they won't process a refund, although they should inform you of the fact

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

My account is £974 in credit, I have provided up to date meter readings and my requests to refund the credit just get ignored. How do I get a credit refund when there is no phone support and other communication channels are ignored?

@Michael S As per other replies but to ask,

How much is your winter payment?

Are your meter readings more or less up to date or is everything estimated?

Hi - have already done all that - have twice requested an account review - been waiting 2 weeks for a response. Nothing. I’ve not had a new meter, I’ve provided regular meter readings, all meter reading I’ve provided have been correct.

I literally hate this company and can’t wait to leave.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi - have already done all that - have twice requested an account review - been waiting 2 weeks for a response. Nothing. I’ve not had a new meter, I’ve provided regular meter readings, all meter reading I’ve provided have been correct.

I literally hate this company and can’t wait to leave.

Thats a shame Michael as never had this experience and PP who always responded within a day or 2.

Sorry to labour this, but did you first type “Message the Team” as this has never failed in the 2 years I’ve been with PP. But any way one for @Marc 

Still nothing from purple planet - truly awful company. How can it be so hard to get in touch with them?

Have messaged the team, have requested account review twice, have been messaging with that terrible chatbot everyday for the last week. What else can I do but just switch providers?

Hey @Michael S 

I’ve checked this out with our Member Services team - Sarah from the team has let me know she’s investigated this following your WattBot chat this morning and complaint case from the 7th. 

She’s let me know it looks like your gas meter was changed at some point before you came on supply with Pure Planet, but the new meter details weren’t updated on the national industry database. That can cause issues with identifying your correct gas meter, and billing/ usage recording issues. That’s why you haven’t received a statement - which has led to what appears as a large credit on your account. 

She’s emailing you to explain this in further detail and the steps being taken to get this sorted for you. :thumbsup:

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@Duppy good call. 

Pity it was ignored.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@woz 

Been there, done that, still got the T shirt

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@woz

Been there, done that, still got the T shirt

LOL, yep, me too. It’s so frustrating …. 

I left British Gas as I ended up in credit then they did whatever they can to avoid refunding large amounts like this. "Issue with reading provided"  then "they under charged due to incorrect reading THEY took". After weeks of getting nowhere, I sent them and Ofgem an 8 page report with just the facts. The next day I get contacted by BG approving my refund.

I'm now over £630 In credit with Pure Planet after last submitting reading, so let's see how it goes getting the credit back. Credit is because I didn't submit readings during 2020, so my fault, and they clearly over estimated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@supermankelly 

“I left British Gas as I ended up in credit then they did whatever they can to avoid refunding large amounts like this...”

I don’t believe reputable and high profile suppliers have a deliberate policy of attempting to avoid paying large refunds caused by overpayment.  In fact quite the opposite. As far as I know there is no evidence to support your statement, but there is lots of evidence of poor communication and incompetence, which is a different matter. 

I’m not defending BG (or PP) by saying this.

If your readings are correct and sensible I don’t see why there would be any issue in refunding but bear in mind there are a number of possibilities here and it’s unlikely you’ll get the full amount refunded as there should be a balance left to cover the following month’s usage. Your review should in theory reduce your DD amount, which from your post infers that it was set at the wrong amount to begin with. (it all depends on what percentage of your annual amount £630 represents).

I'm now over £630 In credit with Pure Planet after last submitting reading, so let's see how it goes getting the credit back. Credit is because I didn't submit readings during 2020, so my fault, and they clearly over estimated.

Make sure you ask PP to Review my account, now you’ve provided accurate readings. In the app use the ☰ menu to Get help and support then Ask a Question. Now tell the Wattbot machine to review my account.

You will get an appropriate refund as @woz said above. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I can understand your frustration @Michael S but PP are not in the habit of intentionally keeping hold of customers money. One of the things I like about these guys is that they have the summer and winter amounts because they only wish to take what you actually owe and not use our money to accrue interest in the PP bank account.

In respect of contact, it is good to let the guys on here know if you have experienced problems with communication as without that, they can’t work on improving things, which they are constantly striving to do. PP are a fairly new company at only 4 yrs old (fact check please). When you compare to some of the bigger companies who have been around a long time and are really are only interested in taking your money and have appalling customer service records, it might be worth sticking around and being part of a community that helps PP to become bigger and better.

@supermankelly

I don’t believe reputable and high profile suppliers have a deliberate policy of attempting to avoid paying large refunds caused by overpayment.  In fact quite the opposite. As far as I know there is no evidence to support your statement, but there is lots of evidence of poor communication and incompetence, which is a different matter. 

So requesting photos to confirm the readings provided are accurate before refunding credit there isn’t avoiding, (perhaps indirectly suggesting a customer a liar or an idiot who can’t read a meter)? They are all the same. They see they have to give large amounts back and rather than trust their own system, and customer, they hope the customer has made a mistake, lied or the meter is faulty. Would they request a photo if the credit was £20, I doubt it. I’m not saying they should not do checks for large amounts, I’m just saying this is what they do. I call it avoidance, you might not. 

“Hello Andrew

Thank you for querying your account.

Please could you send a photo of the full front of your electricity and gas meters, including the current readings. Please include the yellow sticker on the gas meter in the photo.

You can reply to this email to send the photos. Once we've received these we'll update your account.

Thanks for being part of Pure Planet
Courtney”

You’re perhaps right @supermankelly, my mum received an unsolicited refund of a few £tens and no photo was required. I respect your view, but feel a photo isn’t an unreasonable ask...

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@supermankelly

You make a good point. It isn’t mandatory to send a photo, and of course not everyone has the wherewithal to do so. 

The photo is to confirm that they have the correct meter serial(s)  and readings.

The advice needs updating, it should say if you are not able to send a photo please let us know and we will make alternative arrangements to check your meter, however until we can confirm the details we may not be able to update your account.

Would that have helped? 

The onus is not on the customer to prove the details, but the corollary of customers not helping is delays and a lot of wasted carbon due to unnecessary visits.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Surely if they were avoiding it @supermankelly then they wouldn’t even have asked for the information. They are making sure they cross their t’s and dot their i’s. This also could turn out even more in your favour as it’s possible the amount owed to you could be more than that.

They may also be wanting to look at why such a large amount is owed back to you and possibly use it as an opportunity to review your account and adjust your monthly payments accordingly.

Hey @supermankelly and nice one for posting in the Community! :relaxed:

Just jumping in here - @NannyOgg’s reply above is absolutely spot on. It’s best to check your readings so we can make sure to review your account completely and accurately. 

This is especially true in the case of large credit amounts (which it sounds like you have) so we can check why a large credit has built, and look at lowering your monthly Direct Debit if needed at the same time. That helps you avoid building another large credit with us in future. 

Hope that helps explain. 

@supermankelly

I don’t believe reputable and high profile suppliers have a deliberate policy of attempting to avoid paying large refunds caused by overpayment.  

Oh yes they do! Well some do. Its not a written policy of course.

I have switched to another energy company but I have £500.14 in credit and I am getting no reply from PP help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

hi Drew

I’ve flagged your post as it shows your email address, (best not to post personal info)

You need to use help>ask a Q for customer services, is that what you’ve done and did you get a message back to say your query was passed to the team? If not you’ve only had bot replies and a human won’t reply. Persist until you get a reply that says message passed to team etc.

BUT, you won’t get a refund until a short while after you’ve had the final bill from PP.

When did you get the final bill?

Hello @drewforsyth57 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

I have edited your username so that it doesn’t include your email address - thank you for flagging this @woz!

Spot on advice from @woz here- your credit should be refunded within 10 working days after receiving your final bill. 

I hope this helps!