Q&A with StepChange Debt Charity - let’s talk about managing debt

• 6 January 2020
  • 46 replies

Hi everyone, Rachel from StepChange Debt Charity here :)

We provide debt advice and practical help and support for anyone struggling with money.

This time of year is often a difficult time for some people who’ve run up debt over the Christmas period.

We’ve been invited by Pure Planet to take part in a community Q&A to answer any questions you might have.

If you’re worried about debt then we may be able to help.

Or if you’ve got general questions or thoughts about debt then we can talk about those, too.

Unsure whether you need debt advice?

Try the 60-second debt test on the StepChange website. By answering a few simple questions, you’ll quickly find out if you’d benefit from free and confidential debt advice.

The advice we give here in the Pure Planet Community is based only on the information you provide.

Regulations means that StepChange is unable to give full debt advice or recommend any debt solutions here. If we feel you’d benefit from getting a full debt advice session, we’ll mention this in our replies.

We’ll be running this Pure Planet Community Q&A from today (6th Jan 2020) for two weeks.

Over to you. Let’s talk about it in the replies below. Our trained debt advisors who are taking part are a friendly bunch, so please don’t be shy!

Best wishes,

Rachel and the team at StepChange

46 replies

Hi again everyone.

Just wanted to let you know that there might be a little bit of a delay in our responses. As you can imagine, we're working hard to support our clients through this crisis as well as anyone who is getting in touch with us for help.

Please keep posting, and in the meantime, visit our coronavirus information hub if you have any questions around how recent events may affect you and your finances.

Best wishes

Rachel
Hi all, hope you're well and keeping safe in these strange times!

Just to let you know that we've updated our coronavirus hub with some information on scams we've seen doing the rounds lately. It's unfortunate that some people resort to these tactics, but please visit our coronavirus-related fraud page so you can be in the know!

Best wishes

Rachel
StepChange;51359:
Hi all, hope you're well and keeping safe in these strange times!

Just to let you know that we've updated our coronavirus hub with some information on scams we've seen doing the rounds lately. It's unfortunate that some people resort to these tactics, but please visit our coronavirus-related fraud page so you can be in the know!

Best wishes

Rachel

Nice one Rachel
It's so sad that this sort of thing goes on. But alas not surprising.
Thanks for sharing this page 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
thanks Rachel
it's worth reading your coronavirus-related fraud page, it's enlightening
Hi everyone, hope you're doing okay!

Just popping in to say we're still here and ready to answer your money and debt questions. There's a lot of uncertainty at the moment, but we're here to support you however we can.

In the meantime, we've updated our page on what creditors are doing to support their customers through the coronavirus crisis. Please check it out as it may help you save money on your bills and other commitments.

Best wishes and stay safe!

Rachel
Help with Blue Planet payment relief during Corona virus.

​​​​​​​Blue Planet directed me here and to your general website but I cannot see a relevant thread. Can you please tell me how I can claim payment relief .I do not need general debt advice or the phone number of citizens advice as Blue Planet have been directing me. I just want an answer to my question.

Thank you in advance

​​​​​​​Ami
Userlevel 7
Badge +8
Hi again @AmiP
here is part of the Pure Planet blog post about this issue, I hope it helps
​​​​​​​
If you need support, and get into money difficulties during this time, let us know. We will do what we can to help. Log onto your account, tap ‘Get help and support’, and ask WattBot for “help with payments” and you’ll be guided from there. Or email help@purepla.net.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
AmiP;52540:

​​​​​​​Blue Planet directed me here and to your general website but I cannot see a relevant thread. Can you please tell me how I can claim payment relief .I do not need general debt advice or the phone number of citizens advice as Blue Planet have been directing me. I just want an answer to my question.

Thank you in advance

​​​​​​​Ami

Hi @AmiP
You've been given the same answers here as when you posted three days ago. Hope you are finding these answers ok. You'll need to follow the advice given to get things moving helpfully...
Best wishes
​​​​​​​Stephen
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi AmiP
if by payment relief you mean restructuring your payments, you just need when logged in to app or online at purepla.net to to go to help and support, ask a question, ask wattbot type message the team and then ask the team to contact you regarding restructuring the direct debit amounts to suit mutually.
To clarify, as with all other companies you will still owe the money but you'll have much longer to pay it.(it's Pure Planet not blue planet just in case that's causing any confusion at your end)
You can see your previous posts by clicking on the little head top right, but then if you haven't seen the replies you won't see this either.
I've sent you direct message pointing to here...but then you may not see that either..
AmiP;52540:

Thank you in advance

​​​​​​​Ami
Hi Stephan
I can't really see your answer and if/how you are willing to help.
Please contact me ASAP.

​​​​​​​Regards
Ami
Hi @AmiP

With the exception of StepChange, we are all your fellow customers, none of us can 'contact you ASAP' - none of us (including StepChange) have access to your account information, or act on Pure Planet's behalf.

We can only really advise you of what Pure Planet has stated is their official procedure and point you in the direction you need to take to follow it.

Duppy reiterated Pure Planet's advice a few posts earlier, see below:
​​​​​​​
Duppy;52541:
​​​​​
If you need support, and get into money difficulties during this time, let us know. We will do what we can to help. Log onto your account, tap ‘Get help and support’, and ask WattBot for “help with payments” and you’ll be guided from there. Or email help@purepla.net.

Kindest Regards
Gwyndy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
hi Amip
Are you not able to see the replies in the community, I don't understand your response where you say "I can't really see your answer..."

Anyway ...please can you follow these instructions:
1. Log into your account at purepla.net (or use the app)
2. Click on the following link LINK
which is https://purepla.net/me/#/help
3. Click on Ask a question (that is wattbot which is Pure Planet's support)
4.Where it says "Tap your message here" type "message the team"
Then type "I am having difficulty with my payments please contact me to arrange a new payment plan" send your message
You will then get a reply in wattbot or by email, it may take a day or two.
Please post back if you have difficulty.
I think the issue that @AmiP is having is that this earlier post from @Duppy seemed to be missing a link to the info...
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
ahhh, maybe in which case HERE IT IS and I've covered the necessary steps in my previous reply
https://community.purepla.net/threads/9548-Coronavirus-pandemic-Pure-Planet-working-for-our-Members?

and Ami's earlier post is HERE
https://community.purepla.net/threads/9817-Payment-relief-Corona-virus?p=52380#post52380

the formatting in this community is broken and pants, I pasted a url, went to the next line and the formatting continued to look like the the url...grrrr
25 quid;52556:
I think the issue that @AmiP is having is that this earlier post from @Duppy seemed to be missing a link to the info...
Thank you @Duppy @stephenrand @woz @Gwyndy @25 quid for helping out a fellow community member 🙌
I hope that helps you out @AmiP 👍
Hi @AmiP, hope you were able to sort out the problems you were having after the support received from your fellow Pure Planet customers :)

If you do need support with debts such as loans, credit cards, overdrafts, catalogues and other commitments, we're here to help. We're a free and confidential debt advice charity. We can look at your whole situation and recommend a debt solution for you.

You can find out more about the services we provide here.

Best wishes

Rachel

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that we've recently released a couple of new guides that you may find helpful if you're struggling with upheaval caused by the coronavirus pandemic:

Our life changes and coronavirus guide can help you deal with issues such as furloughing, reduced income and other setbacks that you may be facing.

As it's Mental Health Awareness Week, we've also launched a debt stress and mental health guide. Many people are feeling an increased amount of stress with everything that's been happening. This guide will help you identify the signs of debt stress and get support if you need it.

In the meantime, don't forget that we're here to answer any debt questions you may have. 😊

Best wishes

Rachel

Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well and keeping safe ❤

Just a reminder that we’re here an answer any questions you might have around debt or money worries. As you can imagine, our free debt advice service is in high demand at the moment. If you’re having any kind of debt issues, know that you’re not alone. We can give you free, non-judgment advice and solutions.

I also wanted to let you know about our new redundancy guide. As you’ve probably seen in the news recently, redundancy is a huge concern for many people up and down the country. Our guide talks you through what to do if:

• You or a loved one has been made redundant
  • What support is available
  • You’re still getting back on your feet after being made redundant

Best wishes

Rachel and everyone at StepChange

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Thanks Rachel, and just to add re redundancy, as many see themselves in that situation right now, or heading that way, it’s often seen as a real negative, but doesn’t have to be. Yes at first, it may feel sooooooooo scary, how will you manage after having that regular salary all your life? But in reality, once you make a few adjustments, and get away from the panic that initially fills your head, and you begin to feel more comfortable about the whole thing, you see the payout as the positive it is, and know it gives you the time to consider where you’ll go next. Just my personal view. Not saying it’s for everyone, but it’s not a big black cloud, it gives you a financial cushion, and most of all, time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You’re not alone…(no consolation I know, but it’s worth a read)

Two-million households-in-the-red on energy bills ←link

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

In-debt consumers need to be made aware of THIS

I can’t use the language I’d like to to describe what I think about companies who exploit the most vulnerable customers...my post would be deleted.

And another article about this HERE

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@StepChange 

Just heard about the latest job losses, and wanted to say how unbelievable the timing is! I wish you all well.